Stone Roses Gigs (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

Thinking of buying a couple of tickets for one of the Stone Roses gigs at the Etihad in June, has anyone seen the Stone Roses play live?

chiefdave

Thinking of buying a couple of tickets for one of the Stone Roses gigs at the Etihad in June, has anyone seen the Stone Roses play live?

Saw a bit of them at Reading years ago, they were terrible!

THE STONE ROSES
Reading Festival, August 25, 1996

MICHAEL BONNER: As someone for whom the Roses’ debut had been a pivotal record when growing up, I can’t quite remember why I’d never seen them live. I know I had a ticket for one of the Brixton shows, in December 1995, but the reasons why I never went are lost in the mists of time. And so, I spent most of this particular Reading weekend in a state of hyperactive excitement about finally seeing them live. John and Reni had left the band, and with new guitarist Aziz Ibrahim and drummer Robbie Maddix, the line-up was, admittedly, unrecognisable beyond the name. But still, I clung to the dream – I was finally going to see the Roses.

I went with a friend, and we spent the Sunday afternoon mounting what felt like a military expedition, working out complex equations involving wind speed and direction, relative humidity and visibility to establish exactly where the best place to watch the Roses would be. We found a spot and waited for the band to come on.

It started well enough, opening with “I Wanna Be Adored”, Ibrahim doing a fine impression of Squire’s swirling Celtic guitar motifs. Three minutes in, everyone’s smiling.

And then, Ian Brown began to sing.

His voice was flat, atonal, eye-poppingly dreadful. The crowd began to drift away, many shaking their heads in disbelief. People were actually crying at how bad it was. It felt like an entire generation had been let down.
And it doesn’t get much worse than that.

eastwoodsdustman

I saw them just before they split in the 90's. They were good as a band but Ian Brown cannot hold a note. In fact he's up there with Damon Albarn as the worst sounding live performers I've witnessed.
My mate saw Ian Brown live a few years back and commented on how bad he sounds live too.
Still got to be worth seeing I'd say though, if you can get tickets.

LastGarrison

Saw Ian Brown at Glasto years back and vocally he was poor.

However, I've got 4 standing tickets for the Sunday and can't fucking wait!!!!

W

westcountry_skyblue

I went to Spike island in May 1990 at their height,Wasnt that impressed to be honest Great guitar by John Squires but Ian Brown's voice was terrible.

Gaz71

Tell me a good male vocalist live?, I haven't heard anything better musically since the stone roses debut album.

Users who are viewing this thread