still a playoffs team if we... (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

... recruit a solid left back on loan and sign a pacy striker.

We've missed Ryan Kent quite a lot because although he doesn't have much end product, his pace on the counter attack drags opposition players out of position. That's especially important in away games against good opposition.

I think Chris Stokes is half decent at both LB and CB. We've got Centre Backs coming back from injury reasonably soon (I think, maybe wrong) so I would concentrate on LB because I think other teams are targeting Ryan Haynes as a bit of a weak link.

Am still delighted with the way this season has gone overall and think TM is a shrewd manager.

P.S. No, I didn't go yesterday: if I had, I may not be so optimistic!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Whilst I agree with most of the passage you've posted, the whole Ryan Kent thing is really not what it seems.

We don't miss him at all. Even if his pace drags people out of position, how many times did he then pass the ball to a team mate? It would never get exploited.

I would say of all the times he got the ball, 8 or 9 times out of 10 it would come to absolutely nothing.

It's the same as people saying we missed Murphy yesterday when in actual fact we didn't. He had been awful the last two games, and just because we weren't playing well, doesn't mean the grass is greener and he would have been the difference then.

It's the same with Ryan Kent. He simply offered nothing constructive to the team, and just because we aren't playing well now, that shouldn't be forgotten.

Bristol sky blue

Also worth saying that although Bigi had a shocker yesterday by all accounts, I still think he may be worth having in the long run.
I don't go to games very much, but he very much impressed me in the first half of the Oldham game recently (though he faded away in the 2nd half).
Personally, I'd rather have him in the team than a fully fit Conor Thomas, who runs about a lot but doesn't actually do anything!

ptr

Agree with Kent. The amount of people slagging him off just Becuase he lacked end product was laughable. He gets us into the opposition half always positive and looking to get forward, but most of all gives the other team something to think about and mark, instead of just concentrating on Armstrong.

Bristol sky blue

Earlsdon - I do know what you mean, Kent was (is) a frustrating player, but my concern is that if Murphy is off form (which I agree he has been recently) then we don't have that blistering pace which commits defenders into rash challenges and causes panic.

Otis

Yep a decent LB is a must

Need Martin back asap too
Well yep, think most of us agree the goalposts have moved. Depends if TM feels the same way though. He talked of identifying 3, a CB, a winger and a striker. If he can only have 3 he may well have to alter that.

The obvious one I would have thought would be CB. Stokes looks absolutely made there and so therefore, unless he feels Stephen Hunt can fill that fullback role, a left back could be an option, so left back, pacy wide player and striker.

Both Martin and Willis are close to return too and with Lorentzson now seemingly fit, CB might not quite be as top priority as it was.

Bristol sky blue

Otis: trying to keep that positivity vibe going, like yourself...

One positive from yesterday - at least RCC wasn't sent off! Didn't think it was a red card offence, but that would have been another hassle to deal with.

Hope Joe Cole is dragged in for extra shooting practice though...

Otis

I just think as yesterday was so deflating, it is wise to try go looking for any positives going and for me, Walsall and Burton throwing away points in the 90th minute has to be seen as some kind of positive. :)

BackRoomRummermill

When we win the next two games all this negativity will go, we are a good team who have hit a blip. We are still very much top six and over the SEASON we shall look back at this and understand it was just a blip.

covcity4life

All the fans who wanted.kent.gone lol.

Agree tho 2.3 signings away frok a solid squad. We will get back on form I am v confident

stevefloyd

When we win the next two games all this negativity will go, we are a good team who have hit a blip. We are still very much top six and over the SEASON we shall look back at this and understand it was just a blip.

Theres always negativity after a loss though... lets see us all on cloud 9 when we win next

Sba180

Thrown away too many points in from good positions and in last minutes. Swindon, donny and Oldham were 6 points dropped. Walsall to an extent as we should have been 2 or 3 up at half time. Saturday was pretty dreadful though. You could tell in the first 5 mins that it wasn't going to happen

Gazolba

Are we really a good enough team that we can say a Premiership player is not up to our standard (Kent) ? We've scored one goal in three games!

coop

We have lost attacking at pace and seem to be reluctant to play the ball forward quickly.Armstrong seems to be making the runs but then has to track back as they are not moving it quick enough we've scored a lot of goals from nicking it off there midfield or defence and then play it forward quick.We also seem to not want to press other teams high up the pitch like we were at the start of the season.

rupert_bear

Not enough goal scorers in the team, goals win matches and takes the pressure off the defence, we have needed another to partner Armstrong for weeks and we are a week away from the transfer deadline and still nobody.

Gazolba

Not enough goal scorers in the team, goals win matches and takes the pressure off the defence, we have needed another to partner Armstrong for weeks and we are a week away from the transfer deadline and still nobody.

We have Thomas and Sambou - who cannot be any worse than Fortune.

Brylowes

Are we really a good enough team that we can say a Premiership player is not up to our standard (Kent) ? We've scored one goal in three games!
But he's not a premiership player is he. I'm not saying he's not good enough though

Users who are viewing this thread