Steven Pressley (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Why is everyone on his back already?

I for one, think he's doing ok, the results under him have been typical of our season so far, inconsistent. I'd like to praise him on selection last two games, picking Barton and Fleck has overall been positive for the team as well as Moussa on the wing, now, I think Bailey and Ball should be edged out of the team, they don't warrant a starting place and less importantly, they aren't our players (Bailey could for 13/14) so shouldn't focus on playing them. I personally think Pressley will be a good manager, I'm willing to put my neck out on that assertion, and these comparisons to Thorn are ludicrous. Criticising his post-match interviews is a bit silly, managers always BS, even Fergie, but I bet, he'd have a go at, for example, McSheffrey (since he called him terrific) behind closed doors, where it is important.

When evaluating Pressley we should consider this:

- Leon Clarke is injured, left a vacuum of goals that needs to be filled and since we can't sign players, it's immediately going to cause problems. Furthermore, unless Wilson and/or Philliskirk or even Cody, I think SP will need to sign a ST because bar Clarke, and even then, nothings guaranteeing he'll score like he did next season.
- Defence is weak, it gets exposed too often, and again, we can't sign players, so the manager has to work with what he's got (not much) and I expect SP to sign CBs in the summer.
- Thorn, his signings were clearly favoured to 4-1-2-1-2 so when he didn't sign any wingers, it was going to be a handicap to future managers in the season, so in the summer I expect Pressley to address this in the summer.
- He's got to entrench his style, some have said nothings changed, I disagree, we play with a slower tempo, and we tend to press harder with individual players rushing up to close them down, he's imposing a good style.

I think he needs to start off well at the start of the season and I back him to do it if he receives the necessary backing from the board, whether it be PHVI, SISU or anyone.

I welcome peoples' views on this.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Can't help but agree. Besides the odd... overly positive post-match comments, he does seem to play nice football and, considering he's missing Clarke, the defense seems to have sured up*

*I'm making an assumption that Walsall was a 1-off

Mucca Mad Boys

Can't help but agree. Besides the odd... overly positive post-match comments, he does seem to play nice football and, considering he's missing Clarke, the defense seems to have sured up*

*I'm making an assumption that Walsall was a 1-off

Even for Walsall, we played well until the penalty, and that was caused by an individual mistake, then after the sending off, what can you do when you get a red card when you're 2-0, you have to attack, and that = more goals conceded.

ShInnbob

I totally agree with this. He should have all of next season to do what he can and create his own team.

Am hoping Ball goes from the team & he gives the chance to someone who will be playing for us next year. Ball has been especially poor the last 2 games.

At the game yesterday I was slightly shocked by the subs made after the red. Taking Moussa off? Sure taking off a DM would have made more sense when 2-0 down? As many said yesterday I wouldnt mind getting thrashed if we had really gone for it last 30 minutes.

That being said I thought we have looked pretty good up till yesterday. The result against Donny is a testament to that.

CJparker

I wasn't on his back when I started the other post - just picking up on comments made by others. I think he deserves support and patience.

However, I really dislike the idea of using "Andy Thorn" as the benchmark of being a shite incapable manager. He did a great job for us.

Mucca Mad Boys

I wasn't on his back when I started the other post - just picking up on comments made by others. I think he deserves support and patience.

However, I really dislike the idea of using "Andy Thorn" as the benchmark of being a shite incapable manager. He did a great job for us.

22% win ratio, relegation and how well Robins did vindicates that opinion. :facepalm:

CJparker

22% win ratio, relegation and how well Robins did vindicates that opinion. :facepalm:

Nope - unbeaten in his only true season with any backing, sacked after 4 games. Ludicrous decision and the collapse under Shaw shows that.

Grendel

Thorn was utter garbage but also lazy and unwilling to develop himself.

If there is any justice he will never get another job in football for the contemptuous way he treated us.

JimmyHillsbeard

I know I'm an infrequent visitor to this site but this is a joke right?

Buster

If there is any justice he will never get another job in football for the contemptuous way he treated us.
Sorry to sidetrack the thread slightly but why does your dislike for thorns coaching abilities get more and more personal ? Did you know him or something ?

CJparker

Better be on the alert for the libel police!

Mucca Mad Boys

Nope - unbeaten in his only true season with any backing, sacked after 4 games. Ludicrous decision and the collapse under Shaw shows that.

Unbeaten? Scrapped win v Dagenham & Redbridge 90th minute penalty! Disappointing draws v Yeovil and Sheffield United, the manner of them getting dominated for large spells, dropping points, same trends as our relegation season, followed by the ultimate capitulation v Bury, 2-0 up to 2-2, v Bury, by far the worst team I have seen in my time of supporting CCFC.

Collapse under Shaw, depends how you look at it, you argue that was going to happen under Thorn. More embarrassingly for you, you ignore the rise under Robins as evidence for Thorn to be an inept manager.

Grendel

Sorry to sidetrack the thread slightly but why does your dislike for thorns coaching abilities get more and more personal ? Did you know him or something ?

I don't mind people not being up to the job but I do mind those that not able to admit their limitations. He towed the line with the owners to keep his job and treated fans like idiots (Cody my number one target, we are going to be in the top 6 etc.)

Then when someone says he did a great job I think of managers who kept the club in the top flight with no resources other than their own hard work and endeavour. I feel insulted for them.

CJparker

I don't mind people not being up to the job but I do mind those that not able to admit their limitations. He towed the line with the owners to keep his job and treated fans like idiots (Cody my number one target, we are going to be in the top 6 etc.)

No idea where you got this from - AT told me to my face that ALF was his number one target but the board had dragged their feet. He also told me that he motivated the players by reminding them of the "fuck all" help they had from "them upstairs" last season.

Look up the dictionary definition of "sold down the river" - that's what your precious SISU did to CCFC and AT last season. You pour hatred on him as a convenient scapegoat for your friends SISU

Grendel

No idea where you got this from - AT told me to my face that ALF was his number one target but the board had dragged their feet. He also told me that he motivated the players by reminding them of the "fuck all" help they had from "them upstairs" last season.

Look up the dictionary definition of "sold down the river" - that's what your precious SISU did to CCFC and AT last season. You pour hatred on him as a convenient scapegoat for your friends SISU

Made my day;

ANDY THORN has revealed that he's been tracking Coventry City new-boy Cody McDonald all summer.

The 25-year-old agreed a three-year deal with the Sky Blues after Norwich City accepted a £400,000 offer for the star earlier today.

And the City boss has confirmed that McDonald - who banged in 25 goals during a loan spell with Gillingham last season - was at the top of his wanted list this summer.

He said: “Cody is an exciting player who has a proven track record.

"We believe that he is capable of producing at this level and we are delighted to have him on board.

“I have been looking at him for a considerable time and he was my number one choice as a recruit so I am delighted we have secured his services.”

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...transfer-target-92746-29340671/#ixzz2PKhHGC2h

CJparker

That's via the SISU PR machine - not what he said in private away from the media.

As you hate AT so much, are you angry with SISU for appointing / retaining him?

Why are you so sad that quoting a 12-month old media article to "prove" a point makes your day? Your life must really be awful if that genuinely is the case.

Grendel

That's via the SISU PR machine - not what he said in private away from the media.

As you hate AT so much, are you angry with SISU for appointing / retaining him?

Why are you so sad that quoting a 12-month old media article to "prove" a point makes your day? Your life must really be awful if that genuinely is the case.

That's exactly why I don't like him -- he would lie to the media (which he must have done) because he always believed himself as a SISU employee - on their payroll paid to dish out propaganda to keep the supporters onside. Imagine Robins or Pressley doing that? They would just leave. Then he says something else to you as he thinks that will get you on his side. A real true man of integrity isn't he?

CJparker

That's exactly why I don't like him -- he would lie to the media (which he must have done) because he always believed himself as a SISU employee - on their payroll paid to dish out propaganda to keep the supporters onside. Imagine Robins or Pressley doing that? They would just leave. Then he says something else to you as he thinks that will get you on his side. A real true man of integrity isn't he?

So are SISU totally innocent then?

When you get home from your dreary life every day, do you throw darts at a board with Thorn's picture attached? Just to relieve the frustration and depression of your own existence?

As said previously, you must have a pretty sad life if posting on Sky Blues Talk, to denounce a manager who left in August, can be described as the highlight of your day. I pity the fool - you!

Grendel

So are SISU totally innocent then?

When you get home from your dreary life every day, do you throw darts at a board with Thorn's picture attached? Just to relieve the frustration and depression of your own existence?

As said previously, you must have a pretty sad life if posting on Sky Blues Talk, to denounce a manager who left in August, can be described as the highlight of your day. I pity the fool - you!

You started it by saying he did a great job which no-one would agree with.

I hate to think what you do with Andy Thorn pictures when you get home..............

Mucca Mad Boys

No idea where you got this from - AT told me to my face that ALF was his number one target but the board had dragged their feet. He also told me that he motivated the players by reminding them of the "feck all" help they had from "them upstairs" last season.

Quote from Thorn himself:

“I have been looking at him for a considerable time and he was my number one choice as a recruit so I am delighted we have secured his services.”

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2011/08/31/andy-thorn-cody-mcdonald-was-my-top-transfer-target-92746-29340671/#ixzz2PKkS6u00

Does this make him a liar to?!

Thorn was criticised for is 'lack of motivation' so his methods of motivation, in this case, using the board, clearly didn't work did it?

Mucca Mad Boys

Hypocrite, kicked this off, you said he did a great job. How sad are you if you're praising a manager - who did a poor job - who left in August.

... Also hijacked my thread - thanks.

CJparker

Hypocrite, kicked this off, you said he did a great job. How sad are you if you're praising a manager - who did a poor job - who left in August.

... Also hijacked my thread - thanks.

I said he did a good job because you continually and unfairly use him as a benchmark / byword for crap management. You need to get a life mate.

It's not "your thread" - it belongs to everyone once posted.

Grendel

I said he did a good job because you continually and unfairly use him as a benchmark / byword for crap management. You need to get a life mate.

It's not "your thread" - it belongs to everyone once posted.
Keep digging....................

CJparker

I'm not worried, as I'm not the one who might get in trouble for unsupportable and libellous comments.

Why don;t you do us all a favour and fuck off?

Grendel

I'm not worried, as I'm not the one who might get in trouble for unsupportable and libellous comments.

Why don;t you do us all a favour and fuck off?

I think describing Thorn as a manager may incur a libel challenge from a football manager.

You accused Thorn of lying to the local media to deceive the supporters not me. I always believed him when he said he was his number one choice.

CJparker

Speaking of digging, at what point are you going to say "enough is enough" and stop supporting SISU? It's clear to everyone but the most self-deluded that their disastrous rule is ending ignominiously. If they leave will you start supporting them in their other ventures?

It doesn't matter what you write, AT's sacking was hugely unpopular at the time, even if more people since then have conveniently changed their minds after the fact. I've never supported the sacking of any of our managers, and never will. That's not blind loyalty - that's supporting your team.

No wonder you are so filled with hate and bile when you see all the arguments against SISU, your friends, stacking up daily. You have no defence or counter-argument, so just use AT as displacement hatred to divert attention from them.

What would SISU have to do for you to start hating them as everyone else does, and as you hate AT?

Surely their appointment of, and backing for, him as manager must make you angry towards them in some way? No, thought not, because that would make sense...

KersleyDigs

I was very unsure of our tactical approach, first XI and formation at Pompey. Worst i've seen us play in a long while.

covboy1987

Little unfair to judge Pressley on his football manager ability under present circumstances
Probably living in a Hotel with his family still back in Scotland and wondering if should bother looking for a new house and maybe wondering how long will i have this job ? if the club windes up i am out of a job and if the club is rescued by a larger investor will that investor want me as manager or a bigger name and will he be entiltled to compensation under administraion ? Not good times for steven pressley as not only has he got to try and keep the players motivated but he has to keep himself motivated?
Ridiculous situtaion he finds himself in and he must be privatly thinking what have i done! beam me up scottie!

Users who are viewing this thread