Steve McKenzie (ex Man City and WBA (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Just had a chat with Steve re the current plight of CCFC and the loss yesterday. His words 'what would Jimmy Hill be thinking of all this...he would be turning in his grave'. He says he can't get his head around how the club have sunk so low..obviously remembers our good times in the old div 1 and FA cup. The last time he was at the Ricoh he says he was a guest of ransom and the optimism seemed off the graph. I told him torrents of water had flowed under the bridge since then.
But reason I posted is he remembers making his debut for Man City in a pre season friendly in Scotland v CCFC (1979). He thinks Tommy English, also on his debut, scored for us that day and was in the same England under 21s as Tommy ('great lad and bit of a rebel'), mark hately and David Barnes. If only we had that sort of talent in today's squad.

Moff

David Barnes - mixed race played left back - whatever happened to him ?

Not sure if my memory serves me right, but didn't he leave us and go on to Ipswich...not sure after that.

Re lifeskyblues post, the mention of Tommy English makes me laugh. I remember him turning up for one game after dying his dark brown hair peroxide blonde. That was the highlight (no pun intended) of his performance!

lifeskyblue

Not sure if my memory serves me right, but didn't he leave us and go on to Ipswich...not sure after that.

Re lifeskyblues post, the mention of Tommy English makes me laugh. I remember him turning up for one game after dying his dark brown hair peroxide blonde. That was the highlight (no pun intended) of his performance!

Yes Tommy English never really fulfilled his potential... and often changed his hair style. I remember his peroxide games. He started his career I think with a sort of D.A style.
He was very much a goal poacher but somehow went off the boil after his first year and moved on after a couple seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moff

Yes Tommy English never really fulfilled his potential... and often changed his hair style. I remember his peroxide games. He started his career I think with a sort of D.A style.
He was very much a goal poacher but somehow went off the boil after his first year and moved on after a couple seasons.

I think we did a swop deal where Tommy English went to Leicester and we got Jim Melrose.

I don't think English did much at Leicester and eventually ended up at Colchester, also with his brother Tony English who was a youth teamer with us.

wingy

I think we did a swop deal where Tommy English went to Leicester and we got Jim Melrose.

I don't think English did much at Leicester and eventually ended up at Colchester, also with his brother Tony English who was a youth teamer with us.
That is correct sir, think Melrose was reasonably effective not sure if he stayed more than one season.

lifeskyblue

Work with him and he is a v unassuming guy...never tells anyone who he is or that he played for big clubs, an FA cup final (including as you say a spectacular goal), represented England at u21 or that when he joined Man City he was the most expensive teenager. It was only after I asked him if he was the person (knowledge of football and he hasn't changed much facially) did he open up about it.
A real gentleman and a lovely guy

Chipfat

I think a lot of the players then were more interested in the football than the lifestyle it brought them, few exceptions i'm sure but have meet a few of the old uns and they are definitely a different breed to the players now. I know a guy called Stuart Scullion played for Watford, Sheff Utd and Tampa with Pele and Rodney Marsh great fella loves his footie and is very much somebody who would not tell until asked about his career.

lifeskyblue

I think a lot of the players then were more interested in the football than the lifestyle it brought them, few exceptions i'm sure but have meet a few of the old uns and they are definitely a different breed to the players now. I know a guy called Stuart Scullion played for Watford, Sheff Utd and Tampa with Pele and Rodney Marsh great fella loves his footie and is very much somebody who would not tell until asked about his career.

Yes you are probably right. Very different from the over pampered and cocooned 'superstars' of today. I remember the name of scullion but not much about him. Was he a wide player...more an old fashioned winger?

Malaka

I, myself have had a dazzling career in football. I played for Whitley Abbey B team in 1975. I don't brag about it, but I did play with some household names like Baz Gaught and Ian West. Buy me a drink and I will tell you all about it.;)

lifeskyblue

I, myself have had a dazzling career in football. I played for Whitley Abbey B team in 1975. I don't brag about it, but I did play with some household names like Baz Gaught and Ian West. Buy me a drink and I will tell you all about it.;)

See you at the Ricoh on Wednesday...we might be the only two there

Chipfat

That's him rapid, very skillful i think they have a bar named after him at Vicarage rd, He has old cine film of Pele, Marsh and Moore playing in a park with his boys. He was still running every morning and cleaning the boots for about 8 years after he retired. I also think at one point Utd wanted to sign him after he played well against them in the cup the boss at the time never told him...

lifeskyblue

That's him rapid, very skillful i think they have a bar named after him at Vicarage rd, He has old cine film of Pele, Marsh and Moore playing in a park with his boys. He was still running every morning and cleaning the boots for about 8 years after he retired. I also think at one point Utd wanted to sign him after he played well against Utd in the cup the boss at the time never told him...

Ahhh a time before agents. Nowadays he would have a transfer request or a wage increase demand on the table as soon as he had one good game.

Chipfat

Yeah the manager only told after he retired when they met at a club function at Watford. Not that i was a good player by any stretch of the imagination, i did get to play with players like Busst, Craig Shakespeare, Gav O Toole and kicked it around with Gillespie also played everyday with players released by premier league clubs when it seemed harder to make it. And can honestly say what we call shit players from the stand are stand out and better than anything that most have played with.

They are steps ahead of what most will ever reach and make it look very easy, i have never yet to play with a pro who was shit as some fans will say. So although i think the older players played the right way i would never knock a pro or an ex pro, i might not like them as people but respect the talent they have.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

Yeah the manager only told after he retired when they met at a club function at Watford. Not that i was a good player by any stretch of the imagination, i did get to play with players like Busst, Craig Shakespeare, Gav O Toole and kicked it around with Gillespie also played everyday with players released by premier league clubs when it seemed harder to make it. And can honestly say what we call shit players from the stand are stand out and better than anything that most have played with.

They are steps ahead of what most will ever reach and make it look very easy, i have never yet to play with a pro who was shit as some fans will say. So although i think the older players played the right way i would never knock a pro or an ex pro, i might not like them as people but respect the talent they have.
As you say chipfat pro's are not shit else they would never got this far but most apart from top premiership players don't have a self motivation inbuilt into their phycology and seem to feed off good players around them on the pitch and when they don't deliver the goods their game goes to pot. I was watching the players and all I could see are youngsters looking for someone to lead them. I wish we could get a Dennis Wise figure out on the pitch as this would be a catalyst for them. Also they like stability and managers making 6 changes does not help when I saw how many changes MV did I looked at a loss just did not imagine 4 goals the lad who got the 4 goals will never be able to score so many easy goals in one match again.

wingy

The Hutchinson diving header was very good too. MacKenzie's goal is the pick of the bunch I think.

Funny actually watching the clip of Hutchinson's goal for City, CCFC links all over the place (Bennett to Ranson (via Reeves) to Hutchinson)!
And his own goal too I think?:-o

Users who are viewing this thread