Steve Hunt (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

Steve Hunt was a good player and was delighted when he was capped by England after he joined WBA. That said his stellar reputation with Cosmos was never quite fulfilled with us. Pele had a very high regard for him and his record for Cosmos was excellent.
American team, Coventry, WBA, Villa....sounds like Garry Thompsons' story....

Legia Sky Blue

His last season with us was the first I started to keep a scrap book I think...79? ....clearly remember having his picture in me book, alongside Tommy Hutch, Bobby Mac & Danny Thomas all in the old egg-timer kit.

He left us in 1984!! He was a top player and I suspect that looking back he might regret staying with us beyond the 1980/81 season. He didn't get a chance with England until he left us, but had been at his best a few seasons before that, and was deserving of a chance long before he got it.

LincolnNick

Steve Hunt was a good player and was delighted when he was capped by England after he joined WBA. That said his stellar reputation with Cosmos was never quite fulfilled with us. Pele had a very high regard for him and his record for Cosmos was excellent.
American team, Coventry, WBA, Villa....sounds like Garry Thompsons' story....

Steve Hunt was my favourite City player, particularly when he went from the wing to central midfield. He was a class act and fully deserved an England cap, albeit a couple of years too late.
The game against Southampton when he launched himself into a torpedo headbutt on Steve Williams? was legendary. I remember my feeling of disbelief when it happened.

ovduk78

The game against Southampton when he launched himself into a torpedo headbutt on Steve Williams? was legendary. I remember my feeling of disbelief when it happened.
A drab game where the only other thing of note that happened was a quick turn and chip from Hunt that Shilton managed to tip over the bar. I am sure he was interviewed in the program and he mentioned how his martial arts training helped him to keep his temper!!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Saw him make his debut at the Baseball Ground. We won 2-0, he and Ian Wallace scored and we were in the chocolate brown kit. Ask me what I did a week ago and I would have no idea!
I was at that game too and also think it was Steve Hunts first game . As for last week yes totally with your point as you get older, however but pretty easy currently to remember as normally it entails 'I went for a walk'.

fernandopartridge

He left us in 1984!! He was a top player and I suspect that looking back he might regret staying with us beyond the 1980/81 season. He didn't get a chance with England until he left us, but had been at his best a few seasons before that, and was deserving of a chance long before he got it.

He got relegated with both Villa and West Brom after leaving us, funnily enough

Legia Sky Blue

i remember him in the 81 semi final, in fact i think he was one of the last to leave before the bobby gould rebuild

He actually stayed and played under Gould for a short while, although I don't think he was staying out of choice by that time. In a typical Gould like pre season gimmick he arranged a game against a group of supporters and some Sunday League clogger nobbled Hunt resulting in him missing the first few months of the season. A kind of fore runner to the Lee Hurst saga in shooting yourself in the foot!!

rob9872

He actually stayed and played under Gould for a short while, although I don't think he was staying out of choice by that time. In a typical Gould like pre season gimmick he arranged a game against a group of supporters and some Sunday League clogger nobbled Hunt resulting in him missing the first few months of the season. A kind of fore runner to the Lee Hurst saga in shooting yourself in the foot!!
Sorry Steve, I was enthusiastic and just a bit too slow.

Bernie Rhodes Nose

My favourite City player. The highlight of my career was playing in a testimonial against West Bromwich Supporters up in Buckinghamshire. He refereed the match and I scored the opening goal. A really nice person. I was gutted when he left. I will definitely be buying the book.

Legia Sky Blue

Steve writes about the Steve Williams incident and his injury against the team of supporters. Pitch Publishing are the publishers.

I'm presuming you are connected to him and/ or the book. I don't recall him ever showing up at any of our clubs 'legend' days events, which is a shame, as any supporter that saw him play would rate him amongst the best we had play for us, and well worthy of that 'legend' status. I'm not sure if he is aware of that high regard, but please relay that to him if you can.

fatso

Great player, when he signed I was sure it was to replace Hutch, but thankfully we found a way to accommodate both. When you look at the squad we had, you cant help thinking we under achieved.

Hertsccfc

Excellent player and would be in my all time best 11. Did sort of replace Tommy Hutchison and in some ways was more effective. Scored quite a lot of goals for a winger/midfielder and also had some bite to him. Very underrated when with us.

Remember him be sent off for West Brom against us too for kicking out at Dave Bowman.

I'm presuming you are connected to him and/ or the book. I don't recall him ever showing up at any of our clubs 'legend' days events, which is a shame, as any supporter that saw him play would rate him amongst the best we had play for us, and well worthy of that 'legend' status. I'm not sure if he is aware of that high regard, but please relay that to him if you can.
I will pass on your kind words to Steve.

Irish Sky Blue

The game was actually against City Supporters Club. I played for Supporters and I played in that game, we lost 4-1. The guy who tackled Steve Hunt was a good player, Dave Taylor, who like most of us was a City Fan. That was a tremendous night for us. Playing at Highfield Rd, against the City and in front of a crowd ( there were about 4k there) The tackle on Steve Hunt was actually straight from the KO, the game was literally only seconds old. Steve wasn't a happy man! He had chipped or broken a bone in his foot and he missed the first few games of the season. The game took place on the day we signed Ashley Grimes, although he didn't play.
I'll always be greatful to Bobby Gould for the chance to play at HR. I think Steve Hunt had less generous thoughts towards him.

Hobo

Steve Hunt was excellent - one of those who made you feel something might happen when he got on the ball. Scored a few too.

oscillatewildly

Excellent player and would be in my all time best 11. Did sort of replace Tommy Hutchison and in some ways was more effective. Scored quite a lot of goals for a winger/midfielder and also had some bite to him. Very underrated when with us.

Remember him be sent off for West Brom against us too for kicking out at Dave Bowman.
Kicking out at Dave Bowman should have been an action worthy of commendation not punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread