Sterling (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
When is he back? Can't be soon enough.

Both him and brown need to be back in

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Wasn't that long ago most on here (myself included) didn't want them near the squad.

My main issue is why a young kid is being played out of position when a RB who played pretty much every game last year is on the bench?

Mucca Mad Boys

Wasn't that long ago most on here (myself included) didn't want them near the squad.

My main issue is why a young kid is being played out of position when a RB who played pretty much every game last year is on the bench?

He’s probably not fit enough to last 90m and Thompson played well last week, deserved another chance. Thompson wasn’t confident today defensively, which magnified his shortcomings as an attacker — we certainly lose impetus without 2 attacking fullbacks!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

In that case start Grimmer and just let him play for however long he can manage and switch him if he can't do the 90.

I'm not getting on the kids back, it's just I feel that a lot of problems are self-inflicted by playing players out of position. To do it with young pros is just ludicrous - it's one thing to throw them in at the deep end, quite another to do it with a brick tied to their waist.

no_loyalty

When is he back? Can't be soon enough.

Both him and brown need to be back in

Sterling is currently at Chelsea having treatment, he is due back at Ryton on Monday

larry_david

Grimmer is a professional footballer, he's been injured yes but been back on the bench since the Bradford game which is nearly 3 weeks ago. How unfit can he be not to be considered for this? He's presumably been training everyday for the past 3 weeks, how is he not ready yet? We're playing Walsall btw not barca, grimmer had to start and if he runs out of steam on 75, then take him off then

Sick Boy

Grimmer is okay as a squad player but if we aren't going to keep Sterling again next season the position is going to need strengthening with a couple of new additions.

no_loyalty

Really missing Sterling, we need him back in asap, gives us something going forward and can defend.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

He's class, uses intelligence to buy time for the defence to organise when jockeying attackers and always a threat going forward. On most of his runs Charlton covered him with 2 players, if that is repeated against other teams we should take advantage of the space it should create for others.

Warwickhunt

His best display of the season for us IMHO

DannyThomas_1981

Embarrassing reading back through some of the comments earlier in the season, where he needed to be sent back immediately, was a truly awful player and nowhere good enough for our side.

He's pretty much cemented that right back slot now I would say.

Agreed Otis.

To be honest though in those first few games Johnson hardly resembled a professional footballer. I personally have not seen a player transform so much in half a season. He’s a serious talent and destined for the higher leagues.

Sick Boy

Embarrassing reading back through some of the comments earlier in the season, where he needed to be sent back immediately, was a truly awful player and nowhere good enough for our side.

He's pretty much cemented that right back slot now I would say.

Some of the abuse and comments towards him were ridiculous, even at Charlton away there was a moron within earshot of him calling him a useless twat.

It’s so embarrassing

CCFCSteve

Some of the abuse and comments towards him were ridiculous, even at Charlton away there was a moron within earshot of him calling him a useless twat.

It’s so embarrassing

Our supportive fans !

Not ideal however could possibly be moved further forwards if we are struggling in Thomas’ absence. Can put in a good ball

cooperskyblue

He is getting better with every game I have been to and seen him play. He didn't put a foot wrong yesterday, So calm on the ball, great touch and uses his strength and pace well defensively and offensively which is one thing he didn't seem confident enough to do in the early part of the season but he gets good crosses in and he is one player I don't feel worried about at all when he is on the ball!

The abuse he got at the start of the season was ridiculous and people forget he is 18/19 gears old. He has adapted to the league and looks a cut above in my opinion. Cannot see Grimmer getting back in at all.

But it's the same with Chaplin, it is inevitable that whether it is this season or next he will score a run of goals and be our next hero and we will be begging for him not to leave.
YES he makes mistakes but he is 21 and actually looks passionate about playing for our beloved skyblues and that is all I want to see in any player and I am confident his goals will come.

larry_david

People were quick to judge. We're all guilty of it but there's no doubting he's improved massively. He also looked like a rabbit in the headlights those first games. Bristol away I imagine was a huge learning curve

Legia Sky Blue

In his first few games Sterling didn't look to get involved, passed the ball on as soon as he received it, and made a few basic defensive errors. Now he is a completely different player, he is defensively sound and confident in possession, looking for the ball and holding onto it when needed. Grimmer's biggest weakness is his final delivery, which is one of Sterling's strengths, and it is nice to now see why he was so highly rated before he joined us.

Nick

Administrator
Sterling gets stick because he plays in grimmers position. People will want grimmer to play because he comes across as a nice lad.

I don't mean it in a harsh way but I want the best player available in each position.

larry_david

Grimmer was really good last season. He'll always be fondly remembered no matter what happens from here. Sterling is here til the end of the season and then we'll need a new rb. Atm grimmer is a decent enough back up.

Otis

People were quick to judge. We're all guilty of it but there's no doubting he's improved massively. He also looked like a rabbit in the headlights those first games. Bristol away I imagine was a huge learning curve
I think they are still too quick to judge Chaplin too.

He's not set the world alight at all, but we need to give him time as well.

I didn't think he was that bad yesterday. Hiwula should have slipped the ball through to him before he was fouled just outside the box. He would then have been clear though on goal. He also had that flick just past the post, set up the first goal with a lovely cross and hit that free kick with some venom that the keeper saved well.

He also put a good ball through to JCH in the second half.

I thought the Chaplin/Hiwula partnership looked like it might have some promise, even though neither had great games at all.

The JCH /Chaplin thing clearly doesn't work to my mind.

bawtryneal

Our joint second best player (with Burge) in my opinion this season after Thomas
What is worrying they are both loanees but well done MR for using the loan system effectively.

Nick

Administrator
Our joint second best player (with Burge) in my opinion this season after Thomas
What is worrying they are both loanees but well done MR for using the loan system effectively.
Much better than what we overused it for tripe like the bloke from Watford.

Covstar

He's better than Van Aanholt when he came to us on loan and look how well Van Aanholt is doing in the Prem for the past few seasons!

Will do really well to get him back on loan next season especially if we are still in league 1. Destined for the top this lad.

Johnnythespider

M.O.M yesterday i thought, if Thomas is out for a while or goes back to Derby i wouldn't mind seeing him play in front of Grimmer until we get someone else in

Sky Blue Harry H

M.O.M yesterday i thought, if Thomas is out for a while or goes back to Derby i wouldn't mind seeing him play in front of Grimmer until we get someone else in

Agree - think that could work for us well. Could even use Thomas in the middle, to see more of the ball.

CJ_covblaze

Been one our best players recently however he never did seem that bad in the first place. Got a bright future ahead of him. Not sure he’s as good as PVA though. He was with us in the league above so it’s hard to judge.

Magwitch

It’s his first full season and has steadily improved, not sure if he will remain a right back or push further forward a number of our previous loanees have gone on to bigger and better things once they returned to their parent clubs. He should slip into the Chelsea way of playing IF they see him as being good enough but Premiership is miles away from division one.

Users who are viewing this thread