Stephen elliot (1 Viewer)

skybluejack10

can somebody please explain why stephen elliott is playing week in week out for us?
ahead of cody, yet what has he got to offer?

Tomh111

A good footballing brian, a player who works the channels, a player who makes good runs, a player who actually gives 100%, a player that hassels the back 4.

RichieGunns

can somebody please explain why stephen elliott is playing week in week out for us?

His work rate for a start.

Also because i believe Shaw feels Elliot is a better foil for McGoldrick. Elliot can score but he's also good at laying the ball off to McGoldrick in the box.

Cody is a poacher and maybe not suited to this role. Elliot is afterall bigger than Cody and dare i say stronger?

CUS Wyken

A good footballing brian, a player who works the channels, a player who makes good runs, a player who actually gives 100%, a player that hassels the back 4.

He didnt do any of that yesterday... forgot he was playing for most parts. Mcgoldrick was doing all the work

RichieGunns

but doesn't get into goalscoring positions...

It's as Tomh111 said. Elliot does far more on the pitch than Cody does.

Cody hassles defences and tries to get into goal scoring positions.

Elliot works the channels and tries to build up attacks etc

Plus totally agree with his effort levels. Does a lot more than some current players in a sky blue shirt!

skybluejack10

He didnt do any of that yesterday... forgot he was playing for most parts. Mcgoldrick was doing all the work

he hasn;t been in the game all season. when cody plays, he looks quality on the ball and threatening. elliot may work hard, but what if he does? he doesn't score and he's a striker, so why have him on the pitch?

Tomh111

Well thats the first game all season he hasnt done that and after the shit that other players have been peddling as football dont really have a problem with him.

skybluejack10

It's as Tomh111 said. Elliot does far more on the pitch than Cody does.

Cody hassles defences and tries to get into goal scoring positions.

Elliot works the channels and tries to build up attacks etc

Plus totally agree with his effort levels. Does a lot more than some current players in a sky blue shirt!

exactly, cody does things that strikers are supposed to do, whilst elliot fails to do a wingers job?

Lord_Nampil

And that was the problem!!! Its alright doing all the work but if theres no one in ur position when u need to pass or set some one up then your not doing your job properly! We need to play 3 up top IMO and leave Cody in the middle on the last man !!!

Tomh111

exactly, cody does things that strikers are supposed to do, whilst elliot fails to do a wingers job?

Just because somebody works the channels and builds up play it doesnt make them a winger, I think you misinterpret the different variations/qualities of strikers (Elliot is more of a marlon king type and cody is more a Mifsud poacher type player). I think he will become far more valuable when people actually pick out his runs with a decent pass.

psgm1

Banned
I love the BS that Elliott works hard so is a good player. If I put on the cov shirt, it might be a tad snug, but I would give 1500%, but I doubt very much I would score very many.

High work rate is pointless, if it doesn't achieve goals - ESPECIALLY if you are a striker!

I have said as soon as I signed him, it was a bad signing, because of his strike rate. I have so far not been shown I was wrong.

How many goals has Elliot set up? How many goals ? This in a league where you are going to need aty least 65 goals just toi survive!

Where is cov going to get 65 goals with this crop of useless chimps?

A striker who cannot score goals in this league is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Which begs the question - WHY o WHY wasn't AT sacked before end of last season? Now we are stuck with this bunch of losers.

SkyBlue_Bear83

His work rate for a start.

Also because i believe Shaw feels Elliot is a better foil for McGoldrick. Elliot can score but he's also good at laying the ball off to McGoldrick in the box.

Cody is a poacher and maybe not suited to this role. Elliot is afterall bigger than Cody and dare i say stronger?
The way I see it, Mcgoldrick is big, strong, decent pace, skilful but not a natural scorer
Mcgoldrick should be acting as a foil for Mcdonald not the other way around

Elliott works hard and is a good squad player but doesn't have a speciality. He isn't good in the air, tall, fast or strong. He isn't overly skilful and isn't a natural goalscorer.

J

Jack Griffin

No one in charge can get a winning combination, I think Fleck injury is a big factor.

dongonzalos

I saw the goal live, his lack of commitment in that challenge changed the game.
If the club really do want to encourage competition for places.
The whole team should be shown that goal, then drop Elliott, on the grounds that mistakes due to a lack of effort is unacceptable.

Last edited:

MayallMan

Exactly the point I made in a previous post, he does'nt have pace, or height which for a striker you need 1 or the other

Black6Osprey

McDonald and Elliott have played most of the games until this last couple. They have both scored 1 league goal so nothing in it there. Elliott works the channels so plays differently to McDonald. McDonald needs 10 chances to score. Elliott had the ball in the net twice against Stevenage so it would have been wrong to drop him for McDonald. Maybe after Saturday McDonald will get back in but Elliott has been doing slightly better the McDonald IMO. Cody may look like he going to score but generally doesn't and when he isn't, what else does he offer?.

Black6Osprey

I saw the goal live, his lack of commitment in that challenge changed the game.
If the club really do want to encourage competition for places.
The whole team should be shown that goal, then drop Elliott, on the grounds that mistakes due to a lack of effort is unacceptable.

Yes I agree but then we have to drop Wood and Barton for Stevenage, Hussey and Baker for various games, Kilbane, etc etc. Shall we get our boots on?

Sterling Archer

Cody has more goals than Elliott this season and looks more likely to get in the positions to score.

I've seen very little from Elliott to suggest he should start ahead of Cody.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yes I agree but then we have to drop Wood and Barton for Stevenage, Hussey and Baker for various games, Kilbane, etc etc. Shall we get our boots on?

Wood should be dropped on the basis of Stevenage and Bury!

Woz01

For me we should start with Mcdonald and Mcgoldrick with Fleck just behind them and bring Elliott on later in the game. The 2 strikers will surely get plenty of goals with Fleck in the side instead of Baker.

Users who are viewing this thread