Starting Cole a big mistake ? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Starting Joe Cole really cost us today. He is obviously not match fit. Having to sub him at half time lost us a valuable substitution for the remainder of the game, which could have made a difference late on.

Gazolba

There is always a chance we have a clause stating that he has to start if he isn't injured.

I was thinking the same thing myself! Such a clause may also be involved with Armstrong and Kent.

Grendel

I was thinking the same thing myself! Such a clause may also be involved with Armstrong and Kent.

I suspect it certainly applies to Kent

bawtryneal

I have never been a professional footballer or athlete but I find it amazing that Joe Cole cannot play 60 minutes on Tuesday and last at least 80 minutes on Saturday. I appreciate the difference between match fit and training but he has been playing in Villa reserves and training with a Premier League team all season following a full pre season. As commented above if he cannot last that long he shouldn't have started.

Tonylinc

Silly marketing gimmick in my opinion only
I don't think that it is a marketing gimmick but see where you are coming from. I just think that there is a world of difference playing in an under 21 game to a full blooded game in League 1 and TM has to manage his transition carefully. I fully expect him to start next week and to play the full 90 mins.

shmmeee

Is people's faith in TM that thin that they think he'd be bringing in players that can dictate to him like that? More likely that he rates Kent and Cole and thinks that if Cole gets minutes in now he can be more useful later, even if they can't be 90 minutes.

Macca

You really don't think they considered that aspect? Be daft if they didn't.
On the football side looks like he is going to take most of his time here getting fit.

stupot07

He needs to play minutes to get fit so that we can benefit in the last 2-3 games or this spell and hopefully beyond if we manage to extend his stay. Playing the last 20 isn't going to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

lesturd

Starting Joe Cole really cost us today. He is obviously not match fit. Having to sub him at half time lost us a valuable substitution for the remainder of the game, which could have made a difference late on.

Rubbish! We were 2-0 up with 5 mins to go. Nothing to do with Joe Cole or what sub's remained. We had a good solid side out there that should of seen the game out no matter what.

johnwillomagic

Starting Kent every bloody game bothers me far more than giving Joe Cole a few games to get fit!! I know
Joe Cole can produce end quality.........i don't see it with Kent tbh......anyway said Swindon game was Kent's big
chance which he blew...again....will be very surprised if Kent not benched for next match

junglej13

I think it will benefit us easing Cole back in. Think he was do well with a weeks training and will be good for us next Sat. Glad Lameiras was brought on ahead of Murphy today. Hope he starts next week instead of Kent.

wingy

Starting Kent every bloody game bothers me far more than giving Joe Cole a few games to get fit!! I know
Joe Cole can produce end quality.........i don't see it with Kent tbh......anyway said Swindon game was Kent's big
chance which he blew...again....will be very surprised if Kent not benched for next match

Agree JWM have been a bit concerned around benching some of our own.
There Is no doubting the lad Is exciting but Is thinking too much about his game rather than producing end product, having said that the best form of defence Is attack and he must pre occupy a great their defenders hugely.
On the matter of Cole and Fitnessif he's travelling up and down from the smoke daily he's going to be knackered.
Remember when Wise came he hadn't played for ages IIRC and he slotted In straight away and a level above this.
I hope Joe Is a success and brings his game soon or It could look like took the wrong option over Eagles.
Unfortunately for me I have a distrustful mind and do wonder although TM said he had many conversations whether someone else at the Club Influenced one over the other.
It probably Isn't the case as Mcsheffrey Indicated he'd known for a while, but the betting odds Including. Eagles for a while suggest someone somewhere was getting a point across. Clive Eakin to has said the Club (privately)have been disappointed with the gates and Cole commercially should be a draw.

wingy

Agree JWM have been a bit concerned around benching some of our own.
There Is no doubting the lad Is exciting but Is thinking too much about his game rather than producing end product, having said that the best form of defence Is attack and he must pre occupy a great their defenders hugely.
On the matter of Cole and Fitnessif he's travelling up and down from the smoke daily he's going to be knackered.
Remember when Wise came he hadn't played for ages IIRC and he slotted In straight away and a level above this.
I hope Joe Is a success and brings his game soon or It could look like took the wrong option over Eagles.
Unfortunately for me I have a distrustful mind and do wonder although TM said he had many conversations whether someone else at the Club Influenced one over the other.
It probably Isn't the case as Mcsheffrey Indicated he'd known for a while, but the betting odds Including. Eagles for a while suggest someone somewhere was getting a point across. Clive Eakin to has said the Club (privately)have been disappointed with the gates and Cole commercially should be a draw.

Oh and last Saturday Steve Evans was sitting. In the directors box as a guest of Steve Waggot.

luwalla

Rubbish! We were 2-0 up with 5 mins to go. Nothing to do with Joe Cole or what sub's remained. We had a good solid side out there that should of seen the game out no matter what.
Bang on, nothing at all to do with cole... The game was won & he was gone long before it fell apart today. 2-0 up and we took our foot off the gas... Simple as that. Once we had done that it was hard to try and get back into our rhythm.

And when cole was on , he appeared to offer a constant threat

pusbccfc

Cole showed some decent touches again today, but he was targeted all first half by Swindon.

One or two of the tackles on him were absolutely awful early on. I feel at the Ricoh where the games aren't as rough, Cole may be more comfortable.

wingy

Cole showed some decent touches again today, but he was targeted all first half by Swindon.

One or two of the tackles on him were absolutely awful early on. I feel at the Ricoh where the games aren't as rough, Cole may be more comfortable.

Yeah they put a couple of reducers In on him and Kent.

Hobo

This is not what people on here were saying a week ago....League 1 was a cake walk for his skill set?

People need to ask why he hasn't been playing first team football?

I am not being a killjoy here, I still think this is a good loan for us, just don't think of it as being a miracle solution to everything.

Gazolba

All I'm saying is that having to substitute Cole at HT left TM with only 2 subs available and you cannot deny that left TM with fewer options in the later stages of the game.

Warwickhunt

Look at Bury results and we will know if eagles was a mistake! Big time Charlie's don't always bring success because they are in it for themselves. Coles on the other hand does'nt give a shite about money he just wants to play football. TM took him off to protect him Swindon were rotating players to tackle him and as he gets fitter he will be able to ride the personal attention he is getting

johnwillomagic

Yep I would rather start Lameiras, Tudgay, Murphy or Fortune over Kent at the moment imo.
I think given the options would rather Lameiras got first look in.

Thought him Job & Maddison looked great when they played early season.......we have two to
keep selection relatively balance it is who takes the other place which for me is either Cole
or Murphy......as Peterboro very attacking side find it hard to make that choice though
Murphy has more counter attacking pace so may get the nod from me on this one.

Having said that fully expect Kent to start....:mad:

Otis

Kent struggles to put in 90 mins, so there is ample opportunity for Lameiras to get game time and do his stuff.

Lameiras has been left out anyway hasn't he, before Kent even came here?

stupot07

Kent struggles to put in 90 mins, so there is ample opportunity for Lameiras to get game time and do his stuff.

Lameiras has been left out anyway hasn't he, before Kent even came here?

No don't Lamieres was in the side, Kent came on for him in kents first game (Scunthorpe - think he signed on the Friday so hadn't trained) then immediately replaced him in his second game v Chesterfield and has been keeping him out ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

M&B Stand

He'll love the big open spaces next weekend. He's a class apart but lacks a tiny bit of match sharpness, give him chance

Kilclines curly mullet

You could tell he was knackered after about half an hour but this was also after one or two hefty challenges. Forgetting the last 10 minutes (yes I await the stick) the plan worked well. The game opened up in the 2nd half and the pace of Murphy & Lameries caused Swindon problems.

for me the real issue is the decision making in the final 3rd. So much of football is played in the mind not just with the feet. Maddision is head and shoulders above the rest in this respect which is why the Premier League big hitters are circling.

Kent and Murphy to a lesser degree can run and dribble but there is no "match experience" in terms of when to hold it, when to pass it, when to play for a corner etc.

i guess though this is why these players are with us at the moment and as frustrating as it is we can always go back to the likes of Delfonso and the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread