Start all over (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

If we do go under and we start in the conference and ground share with Nuneaton at Liberty Way, play in green and black stripes and are called AFC Coventry we would still take 2000 fans away, sell out at home games then hopefully build a new stadium in Stoke/Gosford area. In my mind this club was never the same when it sold its soul by moving out Highfield Rd.

torchomatic

What about the Ricoh? They'd have a vacancy.

Flying Fokker

Green and black stripes? What is wrong withe the away kit now. Call ourselves The Exiles.

Bill Glazier

Yeah, why not. But why AFC? That would mean we'd be called Association Football Club Coventry which would make sense if we were French, but we're not.. What about just Coventry Football Club? Snappy, simple and actually in English.

SBS

Don't the trust own the 'Coventry City' name or something like that anyway?

hill83

I just don't think it would work. It's a nice idea, but most people find excuses to not turn up now. Never mind scrapping around in the lower leagues.

RichieGunns

Yeah, why not. But why AFC? That would mean we'd be called Association Football Club Coventry which would make sense if we were French, but we're not.. What about just Coventry Football Club? Snappy, simple and actually in English.

So effectively we'd be CFC?

CFC gasses anyone?

SBS

I just don't think it would work. It's a nice idea, but most people find excuses to not turn up now. Never mind scrapping around in the lower leagues.

I think you'd still get a few thousand. If it came down to it, I would. Doubt I'd be alone.

Sick Boy

It would never work.

The people of Coventry were apathetic to the club whilst it was in the Premiership. A non-league club would remain a non-league club and would never rise up the leagues.

hill83

I think you'd still get a few thousand. If it came down to it, I would. Doubt I'd be alone.

I'd go, but we would never get enough to rise up the leagues. And personally I wouldn't be happy with that.

Flying Fokker

Is this thread hot air? Seriously, do we need to talk about this? I know I posted but I find this challenging because there is still life in the old club.

Gynnsthetonic

All us Coventry fans want is success, you can tell that by the away attendances and the home leg of the JPT, the fans will always be there we will not just disappear into thin air, just saying that this club will never be the same because we moved from it roots, the Stoke Peugeot plant would of been a far better option than some retail park on the outskirts

The Reverend Skyblue

What about Racing Club Coventry, that will keep all the ones who live in Warwickshire happy, and we have the name Coventry to keep all the ones in Coventry happy.
I am writing this after a few whiskies, but have i hit on a great idea

Flying Fokker

All us Coventry fans want is success, you can tell that by the away attendances and the home leg of the JPT, the fans will always be there we will not just disappear into thin air, just saying that this club will never be the same because we moved from it roots, the Stoke Peugeot plant would of been a far better option than some retail park on the outskirts

Dowells Fields or Stoke Road. They were our first grounds. Change happens. Sometimes for the better.

@richh87

Don't be silly! It's a huge City, with loads of City fans itching for some success.

theferret

I don't have the romantic view of life outside of the football league than some have, but let's get serious for a minute - if we reformed in the BSP, or even the league below, we would be the biggest club to EVER play at that level in the modern era, by a mile. The idea that a club with our fan base would not eventually make it back to the league is a joke. If we played in the BSP Premier next season we'd get 6K per week easily, that would be MASSIVE by that league's standards. Let's not get silly.

A few weeks ago we had 31000 at home, and now people are saying we wouldn't be big enough to rise out of the conference? Quite possibly some of the most idiotic comments I have ever seen polluting this thread.

Let's get another thing straight, a new club would be called Coventry City because the title would pass over or be purchased. It would be the same club in spirit and all the history would pass over to this new club. It would bounce back eventually because none of the other clubs at that level could compete with a club that is so much bigger than them.

Otis

Well said Ferret.

A new club in Cov would get excellent support if CCFC went to the wall.

No doubt about it. Might wane in years to come if they didn't progress through the leagues, but at the onset I think there would be very strong support indeed.

Moff

I don't have the romantic view of life outside of the football league than some have, but let's get serious for a minute - if we reformed in the BSP, or even the league below, we would be the biggest club to EVER play at that level in the modern era, by a mile. The idea that a club with our fan base would not eventually make it back to the league is a joke. If we played in the BSP Premier next season we'd get 6K per week easily, that would be MASSIVE by that league's standards. Let's not get silly.

A few weeks ago we had 31000 at home, and now people are saying we wouldn't be big enough to rise out of the conference? Quite possibly some of the most idiotic comments I have ever seen polluting this thread.

Let's get another thing straight, a new club would be called Coventry City because the title would pass over or be purchased. It would be the same club in spirit and all the history would pass over to this new club. It would bounce back eventually because none of the other clubs at that level could compete with a club that is so much bigger than them.

Ferret,

Great post. I totally agree.

People forget the apathy is the result of over ten yeats of complete mismanagement, and people are sick and tired of the off field problems.
If this ever happened I am sure there would be local people willing to invest in the club reforming, and us the fans (well the hardcore at least) would get behind it to try to see it to success.
We would be focussing on the football again, something we havent done (apart from a brief spell this season) for a long long time.
I'm in!

Covstu

don't think we would get 6000, what did we get at burton about 5K?? That would be a big game for us if we dropped that far?

Personally I have been depressed since we dropped out of the premier league never mind when we went down to league 1 so to drop a further 3-4 leagues wouldn't be great. I am still hoping there are options for our club.

theferret

don't think we would get 6000, what did we get at burton about 5K?? That would be a big game for us if we dropped that far?

Personally I have been depressed since we dropped out of the premier league never mind when we went down to league 1 so to drop a further 3-4 leagues wouldn't be great. I am still hoping there are options for our club.

What's the Burton game got to do with anything? That's a one off game which in the context of this season was not a big game, and tickets sales were from a standing start. There are 5-6K who would stay with this club regardless, plus you'll always have that big pool of casuals who would pick and choose the odd game. We'd sell 4K season tickets in that league too. Our support has pretty much bottomed out. This season will be out lowest average for 30 years, yet is still very good for the division we are in.

stupot07

I too think we would struggle to get anymore than 5-6k in the BSP.

It's easy to forget that a large proportion of supporters are from Warwickshire, who weren't born in Coventry and never lived in Coventry, but support the club because their family did or because its the nearest league football club. Would they care enough to go and watch BSP or lower week in week out?

RoboCCFC90

I for one would 100% follow the City wherever we are!

Otis

Yep me too.

As long as we stay in Coventry and don't do anything daft like move to Nene Park or suchlike.

Users who are viewing this thread