Stadiums (1 Viewer)

coventrypepper

Which stadiums are your favourite ones?

My favourite foreign stadiums:

La Bombonera (The Chocolate Box), extremely steep stadium in Argentina. The home of the famous Boca Juniors, the former club of Maradona:

Estadio Alberto J. Armando - World of Stadiums

Estadio Azteca, the huge stadium in Mexico City which hosted two World Cup finals:

Estadio Azteca - World of Stadiums

The home of Borussia Dortmund, with "The Yellow Wall", the impressive standing section:

Signal Iduna Park - World of Stadiums

Covkid1968#

MK Dons stadium love being able to have a pint and watch the game. Nice big seats aswell

shepardo01

Overseas stadia that I have seen sporting events at; (plus san-siro)

Bernebau - poor man's Wembley. Nothing special.

San-Siro - load of concrete chucked together- wasn't enamoured (although visited on non match day)

Met life stadium - New York. Impressive - Wembley- esqe. World Cup final being held there.

Heinz Field- Pittsburgh. Lovely new (ish) stadium, full of character and purpose built for NFL - two massive ketchup bottles that make up scoreboard!

PNC Park - Pittsburgh. (Baseball) My favourite!!
Again, new (ish) , built at same time as Heinz Field after old multi-use bowl stadium was demolished.
Open end overlooking rivers and Pittsburgh Skyline.
Beautiful stadium!!

Citi-Field - New York. Another new purpose built baseball stadium. Amazing!!

Yankee Stadium - New one. Personally didn't think as good as Citi-Field, but still well-done, modern and keeping in touch with tradition.

Been lucky being able to visit those stadiums in the US, all fairly new and designed with character whilst keeping tradition in mind.

SBT

Aside from the Nou Camp, the only foreign stadiums I've done are in the US and Canada, but the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta is the best of the lot. Great acoustics, city centre location, cheap food and drink, light and open concourses, with views of the city behind the home end. It's the model of what a new stadium can be like.

shepardo01

Aside from the Nou Camp, the only foreign stadiums I've done are in the US and Canada, but the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta is the best of the lot. Great acoustics, city centre location, cheap food and drink, light and open concourses, with views of the city behind the home end. It's the model of what a new stadium can be like.
Seen pictures of that... massive circular screen on roof!! One I'd like to visit!!

Do think America does new stadiums well!!

SBAndy

Nou Camp was rather dull. And half empty at the game I went to.

Also visited the San Siro on a non-matchday and thought exactly the same - big blob of concrete, messy as fuck.

Parc des Princes is very nice. Stairs up from the concourse to the stadium head outwards initially with a huge mezzanine floor, so you can overlook the city with a beer in hand.

Lille Metropole was lovely. Think from memory that was built within the last decade.

Can’t remember the name of it, but the stadium in Lens was fairly plain, an old 4-sided stadium.

chiefdave

Do think America does new stadiums well!!
They do but equally they spend ridiculous amounts, often often taxpayer money, and class a 20 year old stadium as old and in need of knocking down and replacing!

Also have a tendency to put them in the middle of nowhere. Imagine how people who moaning about the Ricoh being out of town would react to some of the US stadiums. Got stuck at Metlife, 80K trying to use a train station a similar size to the one at the Ricoh. Decided to get a taxi in the end only to discover there's no taxi rank and you just wander around until you find one.

Drove to State Farm Stadium as its way out of town and no public transport. Post-event all the stewards disappear and getting away from the stadium is literally a free for all, was stuck in there for nearly 4 hours! Hard Rock Stadium was the same. Have to drive as there's no other option but getting away takes forever. Makes the Ricoh look like a slick operation!

jordan210

The Vicente Calderón was amazing. The walk up with vendors selling shite in the streets including beer. Fans all over the place.

Inside it felt like it was falling apart but had amazing charm and character. Bet it was amazing on big nights.

Baseball wise I like Minute Maid Park in Houston. (shame about the team) Been to Petco park and Chase Field when very young and just remember being stuck in traffic.

Dint get to see a game but toured Fenway Park last year, Would be amazing under the lights on a warm day. Again a bit like Calderon with the falling apart charm.

Joy Division

Toftir Stadium - Faroe Islands

1141193_1141193_PA-4724696-scaled.jpg

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Overseas stadia that I have seen sporting events at; (plus san-siro)

Bernebau - poor man's Wembley. Nothing special.

San-Siro - load of concrete chucked together- wasn't enamoured (although visited on non match day)

Met life stadium - New York. Impressive - Wembley- esqe. World Cup final being held there.

Heinz Field- Pittsburgh. Lovely new (ish) stadium, full of character and purpose built for NFL - two massive ketchup bottles that make up scoreboard!

PNC Park - Pittsburgh. (Baseball) My favourite!!
Again, new (ish) , built at same time as Heinz Field after old multi-use bowl stadium was demolished.
Open end overlooking rivers and Pittsburgh Skyline.
Beautiful stadium!!

Citi-Field - New York. Another new purpose built baseball stadium. Amazing!!

Yankee Stadium - New one. Personally didn't think as good as Citi-Field, but still well-done, modern and keeping in touch with tradition.

Been lucky being able to visit those stadiums in the US, all fairly new and designed with character whilst keeping tradition in mind.

Did Old Yankee Stadium while the new one was being built. It was a dump and I didn't like it. Entire place seemed revolved around getting your money from your pocket rather than providing an enjoyable experience (but i guess over there for a number of people spending money IS enjoying yourself.

Wrigley Field, Chicago I loved. Really old school but had a warmth and friendliness to it.

Quite liked the Rogers Centre, Toronto - quite friendly and the roof is an amazing bit of engineering. Stadium itself is a bit concretey though.

Old Meadowlands was pretty good but it's in the middle of nowhere and the size of the parking area around it made it a bit monolitic.

Soldier Field sadly didn't take in a game but loved the design and it being near the lake.

Madison Square Garden isn't really a stadium but had a nice feel inside it.

Toyota Park and BMO Field had a more old-fashioned/lower division football stadium feel but with the American take on it, so not as good.

Stade Bollaert-Delelis, Lens is an old stadium and feels more like a HR type ground, but with one corner bizarrely cut off because of the road. Still got no idea how we found it or our way back.

Lately, I been finding myself enjoying the cricket stadiums. Dunno if it's just me getting older or just the slower pace and length of the game means you feel more part of it.

LastGarrison

Estadio da Luz back in 2004 was amazing.

Only opened the year before but everything from the view to the acoustics was great.

Brighton Sky Blue

Only seen a game at one, the Allianz in Munich. But to watch 1860, not Bayern! We were also due to go to watch Hertha Berlin but the game got rearranged for the day we were flying back out. Allianz was great, beer in hand on a terrace behind the goal with slightly bonkers Germans

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The Vicente Calderón was amazing. The walk up with vendors selling shite in the streets including beer. Fans all over the place.

Inside it felt like it was falling apart but had amazing charm and character. Bet it was amazing on big nights.

Baseball wise I like Minute Maid Park in Houston. (shame about the team) Been to Petco park and Chase Field when very young and just remember being stuck in traffic.

Dint get to see a game but toured Fenway Park last year, Would be amazing under the lights on a warm day. Again a bit like Calderon with the falling apart charm.

I watched a football game at Petco Park when I was living in San Diego. Was so strange as obviously it is a baseball stadium. Was kind of cool though!

lordy_87

Mad how the Calderon had a road running beneath it

skybluetony176

Only foreign stadium I’ve been to is the Parken in Copenhagen. Great atmosphere but I was part of the traveling green and white army so that’s standard.

Si80

Spurs new stadium is fantastic. Went there for the NFL. So well set up. The only arse about it is the getting to it but believe they are putting in a tube to resolve that.
DF638A8D-1B56-4CCA-B541-C6CD3300A23B.jpeg Yankee Stadium New & Old. I loved the charm of the old one. New one felt huge. Massive concourses. Great food and beers.
7864BBAC-6786-4118-87AD-DBABB0817E72.jpeg
AT&T Park in San Francisco is a real lovely old ballpark. Great views across the Bay area but really cold!

78F3621D-5A91-490B-973D-A9A61167C32C.jpeg
Dolphin Stadium in Miami was impressive. Just stuck out in the middle of nowhere though. Went there for a Florida Marlins game though so was nowhere near as full as what an NFL game would’ve been.
Olympic Stadium / West Ham Stadium was great for the MLB games the other year too.
06FA606A-6A28-44BF-8DB5-13E48DC37F52.jpeg

Blind-Faith

Brighton’s ground is my favourite I’ve been to in this country. Only been to the San Siro abroad to watch a game and that was brilliant 👍

Travs

Those slating the San Siro really need to see it on a matchday. Milan beating Juve in front of 78000 under the floodlights is the best experience i've had in a football ground.... even knocked the Rome Derby off top spot. Stunning.

In South America i really like the look of the huge one in Lima... i think it is currently the largest stadium on the continent.... can't remember what its called though... possibly the Monumental (not the River Plate one)

CJ_covblaze

Best new: Donbass, Spurs, San Mames, Luzhniki.
Best traditional: Craven Cottage, Boleyn, Goodison, Vicente Calderón.
Worst new: London/Olympic Stadium, Wembley.
Worst traditional: Whaddon Road, Kenilworth Road, Memorial, Priestfield.

Users who are viewing this thread