Sporting Films (1 Viewer)

Who doesn't love a good sports film? My place is jam packed with season reviews, club annuals and documentaries, along with a mountain of sports films. I was watching my favourite film, Rush, the other night (it's about the 1976 F1 battle between Hunt and Lauda), and it got me thinking. What truly is the best sports film ever? So that's this weeks Cooks Question. Let me know your faviourite sports film and why. It can be based on any sport. Let me know your answer and i'll read it out on this Thursday's episode of Sports Lounge, live on 98.6 Hillz FM from 10am

Otis

The one I don't get is Escape to Victory. It got average reviews, yet everyone seems to love it.

For me it was nonsensical beyond belief. Don't think I have ever seen so many plot holes and credibility stretched so far.

I have watched it a few times now over the years and do so want to like it, but the ridiculousness of it all always kicks in for me and I end up shaking my head in disbelief.

As a side note, I do believe that Sylvester Stallone (played the goalie) wanted his character to dribble the ball all the way from his own penalty box right up to the other end and score the winning goal.

Should have put it in, it wouldn't have made it any more unbelievable. :)

I liked Slap Shot when it came out, but haven't seen it for years. Also Mean Machine, though that too stretches credibility.

Any Given Sunday is good.

Teenwolf? ;)

Captain Dart

Chariots of Fire & The Loneliness of the long distance runner.

Johnnythespider

Moneyball about building a team on a budget using analytics hmmmmmmmm

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Rollerball, Chariots of Fire, Bend It Like Beckham, A League of Their Own.

vow

Field of Dreams - Kevin Costner

asiaskyblues

My rite sport is baseball as I used to live in America and Asia so 'Field of Dreams' and any other baseball classic

no_loyalty

Eddie The Eagle was pretty good, watched it the other day

Johnnythespider

Basketball is just tall people taking the piss out of short people

Gazolba

"Silent Running" about the Jamaican bobsled team was a pretty good one.

Johnnythespider

"Silent Running" about the Jamaican bobsled team was a pretty good one.
I don't know if you are joking but silent running is a sci-fi. I think you mean "cool runnings" which was mentioned earlier

Nick

Administrator
White Men cant jump.

Although the woman's voice pisses me off! (Woody Harrelsons missus)

Grendel

Sports films generally are tripe

However, the other week I watched Eddie the Eagle when I was on a flight and for people who remember the 80's it was a great nostalgic trip. It suspends all reality but is amusing and moving at the same time. I almost felt an emotional response and a tear in the eye. I put that down to altitude.

Watch it.

Covstu

Generally boxing films win it for me, rocky, Cinderella man etc. Invictus was a decent film so was the damned United

Users who are viewing this thread