Spanish super cup sellout (1 Viewer)

tisza

Had missed this. Spanish super cup being held mid-season in Saudi Arabia.
Slippery slope of football prostitution continues.

Skyblueweeman

Yeah agree. Not that I'm sticking up for the Spanish Football Federation but this is likely to be more about the Saudis chucking money at them, rather than them prostituting themselves to the highest bidder. I suspect the Saudis approached them and said 'hey, here's X million euros if you bring your Super Cup to Saudi'.

Via work, I've worked on the Formula E in Saudi in December and a horse racing event there next month. They're literally chucking money at major high profile sporting events to bring to the country. It's all part of the kingdoms bid to change international perception of their country and they have a plan to vastly improve the whole infrastructure and perception of the country by 2030. I think they've seen what's happened to Dubai and how that's boomed in the last 30 years and are thinking 'I want a piece of that'.

They're trying to shake of their human rights record by bringing such events as European Tour Golf, Formula E, the Joshua boxing match and now this etc as well as letting woman drive, as part of this 2030 drive.

Still doesn't make it right for the Spanish FF to say yes though but money talks. I'm surprised we didn't see more in the press about uproar from the fans of the 4 clubs taking part.

tisza

Still doesn't make it right for the Spanish FF to say yes though but money talks. I'm surprised we didn't see more in the press about uproar from the fans of the 4 clubs taking part.
Piece in the papers that none of the clubs involved had sold more than a 1000 tickets to their own supporters. few Spanish there are expats from the Gulf region.

CCFC88

The 2018 Supercup (charity shield) was held in Morroco, the writing was on the wall then.

Shame because it used to be a really good way to start the season, quite often saw 2 el Classico's played at full throttle before a league game had even started.

The Spanish do seem to be more keen than any other league to sell their soul, wasn't their talk of a 39th game in the states?

chiefdave

Piece in the papers that none of the clubs involved had sold more than a 1000 tickets to their own supporters. few Spanish there are expats from the Gulf region.
Do they take this seriously or do they treat it like the Charity Shield? Not that it really makes any difference, if we were in the Charity Shield and it was in Saudi I'd be pissed off.

tisza

Do they take this seriously or do they treat it like the Charity Shield? Not that it really makes any difference, if we were in the Charity Shield and it was in Saudi I'd be pissed off.
Used to be like the charity shield - league winners vs. Cup winners but 2 legs h&a. Now 4 teams involved given a bye into last 32 of the copa dél rey.
Had to get special dispensation to allow women to attend.

Terry Gibson's perm

Ally McCoist just said on Talksport that 26 Valencia? fans travelled.

tisza

It's like the Qatar World cup. Some people living in financial cuckoo land
Officials saying it's fine - Fans will base themselves around the Gulf and fly in for games.

covcity4life

its silly idea to make money,everyone knows it

that said 2 sublime goals from kroos and modric last night

ajsccfc

Italy have done this for a while too. Their first super cup on tour was in the US in the 90s and since then they've done China, Libya, Qatar and now Saudi Arabia. I guess it's better than that Premier league idea of inventing a 39th game to send around the world as super cups aren't really proper games.

EDIT - just spotted France do the same too, their game hasn't been played in France for over a decade

covcity4life

Italy have done this for a while too. Their first super cup on tour was in the US in the 90s and since then they've done China, Libya, Qatar and now Saudi Arabia. I guess it's better than that Premier league idea of inventing a 39th game to send around the world as super cups aren't really proper games.

EDIT - just spotted France do the same too, their game hasn't been played in France for over a decade
its a way of growing brand of the league with a game that won cause too much fuss from fans

ajsccfc

Of course, but I imagine they could coin in quite a bit by selling a showpiece match to the highest bidder also.

Users who are viewing this thread