Sordell v Beavon (1 Viewer)

shy_tall_knight

Most fans saw this as good business, Beavon is nearly 7 years older, regularly injured and doesn't score goals, sordell scored 4 for Burton in a higher league after he left, don't think it would have saved us from relegation but need to face facts a forward line consisting of either Beavon or tudguy - who deputised when Beavon was injured will never score many goals or even look like they will score goals.

higgs

Looks like we should have kept sordell he would hit 20 goals in league two not so sure beavon would

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sterling Archer

It was rubbish business. I'm not saying Sordell would've kept us up but he's a better player and goalscorer than Beavon and has a lot more resale value for reasons already listed.

It was an odd transfer. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a 'cash + player' deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot07

Tbf we didn't even play sordell upfront, he was predominantly used on the wing. I don't think many saw it as good business sense.

I don't think anyone will argue with you about goals, its clear as day we haven't scored enough and that we don't have enough goal threat in the team. G Thomas is bar far our biggest goal threat coming on from the right. Beavon and Tudguy don't look like scoring and neither do Jones, Reid and Lamieres.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ranjit Bhurpa

Just hope Robins has a complete overhaul of our strikers and attacking midfielders. Time to bog off those who haven't performed this season and show faith in G Thomas and Ponticelli, supported by some of the stand out performers from the U23 particularly in midfield. If we need to supplement from outside, then use the budget wisely to support what we have already got. Certainly got more faith in Robins to do this than any other Manager since Jan 2016.

ceetee

Looks like we should have kept sordell he would hit 20 goals in league two not so sure beavon would

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
He's playing for Burton, but I'm sure he would have been delighted to play for us in Div 4.
But even the best strikers need others to create chances

Nick

Administrator
No chance Sordell would have been here in League 2, he would have been on a decent wage.

Beavon would have been brought in with League 2 in mind.

steve82

It is fact that we've struggled for goals all season but I don't really think Marvin Sordell would of dented that stat much.
He did only score 4 league goals in 20 league games and really don't think he'd of broke 10 league goals over the season. He was a player very short on confidence tho had ability.
Beavon don't have a history of scoring vast amounts either but left Burton a hero for his contribution from the front in 2 promotions, tho he too wasn't the goal answer we needed in January but I'm not entirely convinced we initiated the deal.
Burton were a club on the edge of relegation and a very tight budget so a player in sordell would of fitted there profile to take a chance on as they signed other strikers on loan too.
Beavon don't have a history of being injured too much and I thinks suffered due to being asked to play when not 100% fit again so keeps tweaking his injury. Might well be why Robins hasn't asked him to play the last few games to give him time to heal and be ready for preseason

Adge

When Sordell was signed as our "marquee" signing I then knew we would be in trouble. Scoring 4 league goals in 21 the previous season for Colchester wasn't a great sign. A few months ago there was a programme on Sky about out of contract players and he admits that it was Coventry City or stacking shelves in Tesco. Think that bread in aisle 5 needs adjusting.

covcity4life

Another case of summer recruitment being the problem and not slade right?...LOL

Sordell showed alot of potential and i thibk upfront he could have dine really well. But oh well, i like beavon and he can do a job as striker or secobd striker. Thibk he will donwell for us in league 2.

steve82

Sordell showed alot of potential and i thibk upfront he could have dine really well. But oh well, i like beavon and he can do a job as striker or secobd striker. Thibk he will donwell for us in league 2.

Let's not slip back down this road...
Sordell never came with a recent history of goals and the squad around him wasn't good enough to help with the service. The story of the season. Maybe under MR he'd of done better? Who knows now.

covcity4life

Let's not slip back down this road...
Sordell never came with a recent history of goals and the squad around him wasn't good enough to help with the service. The story of the season. Maybe under MR he'd of done better? Who knows now.

His goal record not that bad considering on wing

But i agree lets not slip doen that road

twistandshout

I don't think Sordell was the right fit for us , but it wasn't a straight Sordell for Beavon swap we got Reilly on loan for the Season as well.

pastythegreat

Most fans saw this as good business, Beavon is nearly 7 years older, regularly injured and doesn't score goals, sordell scored 4 for Burton in a higher league after he left, don't think it would have saved us from relegation but need to face facts a forward line consisting of either Beavon or tudguy - who deputised when Beavon was injured will never score many goals or even look like they will score goals.
I would say it was good business, but I wouldn't exactly call it bad business either.
Although played out of position, Sordell wasn't exactly prolific. Using the same argument as this, GT is a striker being played out of position! He's still scored more than Sordell did in less games!
I don't think Beavon came here as our main goal threat but he's always played as a link man, a creator of chances. You don't play regularly in a team that wins back to back promotions if you ain't good enough!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

First time for everything though hey? At least we don't have a history of selling our top goalscorer in the January of relegation seasons.
giphy.gif

Gaz

I think Beavon was a really good signing
We look far more dangerous when he plays up front in my opinion.

I actually think Beavon and Sordell would be a really good partnership however that would be having your cake and eating it I guess.

Sordell is out of contract as it stands with Burton this summer interestingly
Not that I think we would get him.

wingy

Simple sums.
Beavon and Reilly were free of wages picked up by Burton.
£3-4k off the wage bill.

trondegilsoltvedt97

I like Beavon - I think he works hard and will get some goals in L2. However, Sordell was never given a chance/run of games upfront and was put on the wing a lot, so I don't think we ever saw what he could really do for us

Reactions: Gaz

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Jodi Jones
Bigirimana
Turnbull
Kwame Thomas
Andre Wright
Dan Agyei
Gadzhev
Lewis Page
Kyel Reid

Utterly astonishing signings ccfc4life!

covcity4life

Jodi Jones
Bigirimana
Turnbull
Kwame Thomas
Andre Wright
Dan Agyei
Gadzhev
Lewis Page
Kyel Reid

Utterly astonishing signings ccfc4life!

I like

Jones
Gadzhev
Bigi
Turnbull

And k thomas and agyei nowhere near as bad as some say imo

But not up there with folivi vernon yakubu of course.

covcity4life

Hes had a great season and its also a level above league 1 lmao

Dont mind you having your own opinion but will slapt u down when you get cocky young un

steve82

I like

Jones
Gadzhev
Bigi
Turnbull

And k thomas and agyei nowhere near as bad as some say imo

But not up there with folivi vernon yakubu of course.

I do like these games... lol.
A lot was made of the out of window signing of yakubu which was poor but let's not forget lateef Elford-Alliyu and the not popular MAF at the time, Henderson during open windows and loan windows.
I think it's safe to say all managers get it wrong from time to time when cash flow is limited down at these levels.

covcity4life

I do like these games... lol.
A lot was made of the out of window signing of yakubu which was poor but let's not forget lateef Elford-Alliyu and the not popular MAF at the time, Henderson during open windows and loan windows.
I think it's safe to say all managers get it wrong from time to time when cash flow is limited down at these levels.

What game? I told u in done with it. But if earlsdon wants to talk summer tecruit.ent i can talk winter?

And 100% agree its not easy on sisu budgets wether you tm or rs

steve82

What game? I told u in done with it. But if earlsdon wants to talk summer tecruit.ent i can talk winter?

And 100% agree its not easy on sisu budgets wether you tm or rs

It's hard at this level, every penny has to be spent wisely.
I believe you build in the summer and strengthen in the January window in a ideal world. Anything less your chasing your tail. With the loan window no more it's very very unforgiving if your summer don't go well.
We've found out the hard way

covcity4life

It's hard at this level, every penny has to be spent wisely.
I believe you build in the summer and strengthen in the January window in a ideal world. Anything less your chasing your tail. With the loan window no more it's very very unforgiving if your summer don't go well.
We've found out the hard way

Agree bad summer makes it harder in jan
But i belrive the squad sept 1st shud never have gone down and wudnt have ubder tm or mr imo over 46 games.

Users who are viewing this thread