Something I heard Saturday RE: Sterling's wages (1 Viewer)

CovInEssex

He's on £18k a week at Chelsea, which they pay... only when he plays.

Magwitch

Where would that personal info come from ? Not doubting it 18k a week is a million a year probably the going rate for a top teams reserve reserve. Just highlites to me what when it comes to the nitty gritty incentive there is

hill83

Concur. What sort of a fucked up deal means we pay someone else’s player approximately 4 times the amount we pay our top earners for not even playing?

And I understand why it would be an incentive to make us play him, I just can’t believe we’d sign up to that. Surely...

Maybe if it was for an absolute top of the line striker we'd have absolutely no chance of signing otherwise but even then. No chance.

christonabike

Heard this as well from a reliable source. Football is awash with money and its just madness. Think of the money Chelsea etc get every season and paying youngsters this amount is just the norm sadly.
I heard that he has to play every week if he is fit but I doubt that is true as Robins is his own man and likes to play whoever earns it during training etc.

better days

It's more likely we have to make a contribution of say £1k per week if he's fit and not playing
Robins was asked almost this exact question a few weeks back and said there was an expectation by Chelsea that he'd get game time but he had to come up to standard

SBAndy

I know that the quoted salary is correct, which begs the question whether the other half of the claim is correct as well. I doubt it personally.

Esoterica

When he signed, people were jumping up and down in amazement that we'd managed to sign somebody of his class and pedigree...
I was pleased too but his class and pedigree are not worth a potential 18k expense a week to a L1 club and it would be grossly incompetent to have signed such a deal given how far 18k a week stretches in L1. Robins is not a fool. He already confirmed in one of his pre game interviews that there is an expectation from parent clubs that their loanees play but he picks the team based on what they do in training.

NorthernWisdom

I was pleased too but his class and pedigree are not worth a potential 18k expense a week to a L1 club and it would be grossly incompetent to have signed such a deal. Robins is not a fool. He already confirmed in one of his pre game interviews that there is an expectation from parent clubs that their loanees play but he picks the team based on what they do in training.
He's not going to say otherwise, is he?

I'd also suggest that given his pedigree, it's more likely than not there's a penalty clause if he doesn't play. If we're going on statements, the dry way Robins said he was 'injured' earlier suggest a they were looking for an out.

covcity4life

well i heard chelsea pay us 18k everytime he plays! are sisu the best owners or what?! great deal

my source also reputable. he swore he was telling the truth

"swear down"

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Concur. What sort of a fucked up deal means we pay someone else’s player approximately 4 times the amount we pay our top earners for not even playing?

And I understand why it would be an incentive to make us play him, I just can’t believe we’d sign up to that. Surely...

There's absolutely no chance we would pay 18k a week - even for a 30 goal a season striker, never mind an unproven right back. Our top earner can't be on any more than 3/4k and surely that would be a player like Chaplin, that's contracted (or set to be) to us.

Sterling could well be on 18k a week at Chelsea, doesn't mean we contribute 18k.

xxccfcxx

This is how many loan deals work nowadays. Chelsea will be paying his wages, we will be contributing. If he starts then we pay nothing, if he is on the bench we pay a percentage, if he is not in the squad then we pay a larger percentage however i doubt that this would be %100.

stupot07

Absolutely no chance we pay £18k per week if he doesn't play. The average league one salary is only around £2.2k per week. 18k per week is around 16% of our turnover, and likely to be around 30% of the players wage budget.

Footballers vs. The Fans

Far more likely that we pay c£2k pw contributions to Chelsea, and that we don't pay it if he plays.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mark82

Absolutely no chance we pay £18k per week if he doesn't play. The average league one salary is only around £2.2k per week. 18k per week is around 16% of our turnover, and likely to be around 30% of the players wage budget.

Footballers vs. The Fans

Far more likely that we pay c£2k pw contributions to Chelsea, and that we don't pay it if he plays.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's likely we are paying a contribution (or bigger contribution) if he doesn't play, this is fairly common practice, but it will be nowhere near 18k.

rob9872

Exactly. It's likely we are paying a contribution (or bigger contribution) if he doesn't play, this is fairly common practice, but it will be nowhere near 18k.
So if a player has a bad attitude or is out of form, injured, suspended it costs us more? I do hope that never comes into a mangers thinking when selecting a team/squad.

mark82

So if a player has a bad attitude or is out of form, injured, suspended it costs us more? I do hope that never comes into a mangers thinking when selecting a team/squad.

I doubt it as the contribution will be budgeted for and in line with our pay scale (you'd hope).

Users who are viewing this thread