Somerset and the Sunderland outrage (1 Viewer)

joemercersaces

Replica of our fiendish collaboration with Bristol City to send Sunderland down 40 years ago acted out yesterday in the cricket county championship. Three clubs could win the title. Somerset in beating Notts would win if the other two, Middlesex and Yorkshire, drew with each other. If there was a winner in that match Somerset wouldn't claim the title.

The Middlesex/ Yorks match on any other day would have petered out into a draw. A draw suited neither so both recognised they might as well lose in going for the win so they colluded to create a result. Yorks bowled underarm to allow Middlesex to get to a defendable score and declare, creating a somewhat artificial limited over run chase. Even then it might have been a draw but 6 wickets in the last half hour gave the title to Middlesex.

The point is that both the captain and Manager of Somerset said they would have done exactly the same. Shame Sunderland fans don't have the same level of common sense because we all know that if they'd played Bristol that night and we'd lost at Everton then neither they norBristol would have risked losing by going for a win.

Brylowes

Surely you can't just randomly start bowling under arm to fix a result?
That's what I thought, but it is a strange game, not so much the game but the way a result
Is sometimes reached, like when they play for 3-4 days and then it rains resulting in a draw.

chiefdave

Surely you can't just randomly start bowling under arm to fix a result?
As long as its a legal delivery you're fine. Fixing a result would be fine but that's not really what they're doing. They're manufacturing a situation where either side can win rather than in just fading into a draw. Not that uncommon in cricket. Not underarm bowling but you often get a part time bowler coming on to get the run rate up in the hope of a declaration and a run chase.

Nick

Administrator
As long as its a legal delivery you're fine. Fixing a result would be fine but that's not really what they're doing. They're manufacturing a situation where either side can win rather than in just fading into a draw. Not that uncommon in cricket. Not underarm bowling but you often get a part time bowler coming on to get the run rate up in the hope of a declaration and a run chase.

Surely that's no different to a goalkeeper pretending to trip up though so the ball can go in?

What happens if people are betting on the cricket result and they are fixing it?

chiefdave

Surely that's no different to a goalkeeper pretending to trip up though so the ball can go in?

What happens if people are betting on the cricket result and they are fixing it?
I guess its the difference between a fix and just trying to create a situation where there will be a result one way or the other.

Team A will let Team B score easily in the hope they declare and set a run chase. There's a set number of overs so it becomes like a one day match. Team A needs to get a certain number of runs in a certain number of overs and Team B needs to bowl them out.

Guess its the bowling sides equivalent of declaring.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

This sort of thing has happened for years just the fact it's such a high stakes game it's got all the press.

But this sort of dismissal doesn't help matters...

Nick

Administrator
Jesus christ. That is shocking.

It is the equivalent of a defender just dribbling the ball into his own net isn't it?

(I dont know much about cricket, so sorry if I am miles away). I once managed to hit a ball into a drainpipe and it got stuck at Quick Cricket at school and the teacher gave me out rather than letting me run for hours until they got the ball out, so I have been bitter since.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Jesus christ. That is shocking.

It is the equivalent of a defender just dribbling the ball into his own net isn't it?

(I dont know much about cricket, so sorry if I am miles away). I once managed to hit a ball into a drainpipe and it got stuck at Quick Cricket at school and the teacher gave me out rather than letting me run for hours until they got the ball out, so I have been bitter since.

It's hard to compare the scenario to football almost like you need to win but team to playing need to lose by less 4 goals or less to stay up so you're 5-0 up & score a og last min for them.(Not similar comparison but you get the gist)

The odd thing was they declared after that ball so blocking it for no run would have had the same effect don't get why he did it.

joemercersaces

It's hard to compare the scenario to football almost like you need to win but team to playing need to lose by less 4 goals or less to stay up so you're 5-0 up & score a og last min for them.(Not similar comparison but you get the gist)

The odd thing was they declared after that ball so blocking it for no run would have had the same effect don't get why he did it.

My point is that it is like the incident at Highfield Rd that Sunderland fans obsess about. Cov and Bristol realised with a few minutes to go that Sunderland had lost and as we were at 2-2 both of us were safe. As a result neither side tried to attack and risk conceding a goal. We did it, Nristol did it and Sunderland would have done it. Our game kicked off late due to crowd congestion and when their result came through Jimmy Hill had it flashed up on the scoreboard. On another post in the last few days someone cited a Mirror journalist/Sunderland fan still banging on about it in relation to our petition. I was there, apparently he wasn't even born!

Users who are viewing this thread