Social media is creating and enabling hate, fear and violence (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

That is 100% correct but also the most simplistic way of looking at it, it's like the yanks saying guns don't kill people people kill people... Whilst correct, is way too simplistic
Erm, simplistic? I can make it far more complicated if you like, bore you off about reading formation theory, cultural capital, consecrated status of users etc, the shift of paradigms from author-value to user-value but... the nights are getting shorter.

clint van damme

I'd prefer if we looked past trump and didn't make this because of trump because its not even scratching the surface, I used this example to show how warped people are becoming through social media influence, and the freedom it's giving people to throw that hate around and its effecta on society.

There are a multitude of other subjects that result in the same extreme nonsense that create more hate and anger
Social media is becoming dangerous, when does it end?

To be fair the 2016 US election is probably the biggest example of the use or misuse of social media so its why its often the go to ecent though it was far from the first or only election this happened in.

shmmeee

But those algorithms will be based on what you're already searching for / looking at anyway.

And nobody forces you to look at it, either.

Plus there are adblockers etc.

To tell the truth, I find the impact of social media as being vastly overstated. It's not some top down effect where people mindlessly consume and have it forced upon them, people choose to consume. If anything, there's a more fragmented consumption than in the past, so the ability to create a single message is harder. What there *is* is the ability to sow confusion as to the role of expertise, authority, cultural value in what people say, as we don't regulate with the same authoritarian top-down approach we used to.

I disagree. The YT algo specifically has been shown to push people down an alt-right path regardless because the right have focused on gaming algorithms for a while now.

wingy

If I go on YT for movie's or music it's all padded out by Trump supportive media.
I don't touch it naturally.

rob9872

Cliff notes:
Some people are nice
Some people are cunts
The silent majority of us are sometimes nice and sometimes a bit of a c**t

Marty

What youtube do you lot use? It's ultra left wing these days.

SkyBlueMatt

Social media has far more negatives than positives nowadays, from Instagram giving a platform to extreme narcissists, to kids getting bullied, to the fake news, the left/right divide, the trolls and that its being abused as a political tool.

I use it because I have to but it's a complete gutter. On every single thread, I can hardly distinguish between bots and actual peoples opinions because of the extreme views both left and right.

There is a reason why it is now used as the main tool in politics. They have a profile of who "you" are and what pushes your buttons. Social media knows your political and social beliefs and serves you exactly what you want to read which in turn reinforces those beliefs.

How these ad campaigns can be run more or less completely unchecked is shocking. A fact checking policy needs to be a top priority. The percentage of ads that were run (official & unofficial) during Brexit & the Trump Campaign (Obama also used during his campaign) which were misleading is surprisingly high.

The problem is the politicians that can make these laws that are needed are completely out of touch and don't really understand the problem. If you've seen the senate hearings when Mark Zuckerberg was testifying about Cambridge Analytica, you'll see what I mean, it was an complete embarrassment.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

If I go on YT for movie's or music it's all padded out by Trump supportive media.
I don't touch it naturally.

There’s a very wholesome channel solely dedicated to recreating American food recipes from the 19th and 18th centuries. He put up one video about a pudding called orange fool and it got loads of comments from Trump supporters who thought he was taking the piss.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yet another negative of social media is the massive amount of time the human race is now wasting on it...... Hours and hours a day, just chatting, reading, posting & watching brain melting drivel & shite.

This forum is my ONLY social media & I annoy myself with the amount of time I waste on here to the point where I have to force myself to abstain from it for weeks or months at a time.....

...which, as you can see, is not currently going well.

Just think about all the good constructive positive things you could be doing instead of reading the babbling thoughts of idiots like me.

.....so why don't you switch off your television device & go and do something less boring instead

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To tell the truth, I find the impact of social media as being vastly overstated. It's not some top down effect where people mindlessly consume and have it forced upon them, people choose to consume.

Isn't the same true of alcohol/drugs/tobacco?

Peer pressure causes you to take the first tenative steps and before you know it people are hooked to varying degrees, some of whom dangerously so. And adverts for such products are similar to the clickbait. It doesn't force you to do anything but it puts the temptation and thought there to indulge. So sometimes you do and those most addicted are compelled to. They can't fight the urge.

People's entire personas can change due to it. It can be a massive strain on friendships and relationships. It's had a massive impact.

Skybluefaz

This response is no different to many on there tbh..
See I understand what you're saying but I expected a better response, this has been going on for years before trump too and in no way shape or form does trump make people be horrible, vile little bastards to each other as responsible adults.. It happens within our own politics in our own country people are vile to each other on social media, so that rules out trump... It's vile

Look past trump, because its been happening for a long time now, it's the way people are becoming, it's going to continue after trump, and its a worry...
No accountability for the most part, no risk of getting a smack for being a dick.

Users who are viewing this thread