Soccer (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

He can take his point and mail it over the Atlantic.

I think it's more today with the fact that the US call NFL football when 98% of the game is played with your hands. They should be calling Soccer, football and NFL something else (although I know it'll not happen).

And maybe the anti-soccer stance is a generational thing.

CJ_covblaze

It is a commonly known thing that soccer comes from association. I don't know why so many have a problem with the term being used.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He can take his point and mail it over the Atlantic.

I think it's more today with the fact that the US call NFL football when 98% of the game is played with your hands. They should be calling Soccer, football and NFL something else (although I know it'll not happen).

And maybe the anti-soccer stance is a generational thing.

I get annoyed with that but even more so at the term Touchdown when it seems the only thing they don't have to do is touch the ball down.

Liquid Gold

Yeah soccer is from assoc/association, thought it was common knowledge too tbh. It was used to differentiate from rugby football.

NFL is called football because it was developed from rugby which they then turned to gridiron football then just football.

The easier way of differentiating them would be Soccer, Rugby, Gridiron.

Evo1883

I don't care, I think it's just an excuse to have some Banter with the yanks

CJ_covblaze

I get annoyed with that but even more so at the term Touchdown when it seems the only thing they don't have to do is touch the ball down.

Originally the player had to touch the ball down in the Endzone like in Rugby but the rule was changed to what it is now about 130 years ago.

Otis

Yup, there is reasoning behind the terminology of it all, but it has got lost over time.

I don't understand why some over here get annoyed with the term "soccer" when we use it all the time ourselves, as has been highlighted.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yup, there is reasoning behind the terminology of it all, but it has got lost over time.

I don't understand why some over here get annoyed with the term "soccer" when we use it all the time ourselves, as has been highlighted.

I don't think it's necessarily the term 'soccer' being used over there it's that 'football' isn't, which is played predominantly with the hands. If football and soccer were interchangeable like here there wouldn't be an issue.

Otis

I don't think it's necessarily the term 'soccer' being used over there it's that 'football' isn't, which is played predominantly with the hands. If football and soccer were interchangeable like here there wouldn't be an issue.
But because American football is called "football", they can't really can they. Be very confusing.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But because American football is called "football", they can't really can they. Be very confusing.

That's the thing that we find annoying - their 'football'. It should've be called something else leaving football free to be used for the game played with the feet.

Otis

That's the thing that we find annoying - their 'football'. It should've be called something else leaving football free to be used for the game played with the feet.
Who is "we?" I don't find it annoying at all. 😉

Are you the same sort of bloke who used to moan that Radio Rentals only used to do televisions? 🤔

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Who is "we?" I don't find it annoying at all. 😉

Are you the same sort of bloke who used to moan that Radio Rentals only used to do televisions? 🤔

I was talking in general about British fans.

I'm not, although I do hate Champions League which is filled with more teams who aren't champions than are.

rob9872

Let's not forget tge Aussies and their SocceRoos

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So. Coventry Rugby Football Club?

But that's Rugby Football. It distinguishes itself in its name but acknowledges it's derived from the game of football.

American's don't call their game 'American Football', they just call it 'football'. If they called it Gridiron Football or similar then no problem.

Kneeza

So. Coventry Rugby Football Club?
Until recently it was called Coventry Football Club, and was the first Football club in the city. The Rugby bit was added when it went bust earlier this century, by which time it was over 125 years old as a Football club.
Many of the older 'Rugby' clubs are still known as e.g. Richmond Football Club.

Anyway... 20201007_131404.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread