So we win 8-0 and all are problems have disappeared ? (1 Viewer)

The Reverend Skyblue

We beat a team who should have got relegated into the Southern Premier, but for a team dropping out, and suddenly nearly everyone thinks we will win the 1st /3rd division

We need to get a grip and realise its the start of a move forward hopefully for the club, but for people to come out with "we will win this and that this season", or even get in the playoffs, is going way over the top.

I don't care if we win every friendly 16-0 , all that matters is the first league game against Yeovil, and i'm pretty sure they will be harder to beat than Hinckley bloody Town.

As for the Scottish friendlies , well we all know the standard of that football, so have all these friendlies been arranged to give us false hope and get people to buy season tickets.I could put Astute in goal ,and play me and wingy up front , with Houchens Head in the holding role, and even bloody Torchy at centre back, even though I've never met them, and i'm pretty sure we would beat Brora Rangers

Why are we not playing anyone decent, say in the English league ? in these so called friendlies.

Swindon for example played Bayern Munich second team, which they won, and we are playing fecking Scottish muck who would'nt win the Banbury and District league.

I love we won and i'm so proud we might be on the start of the journey to take my/our club forward, but we need to realise the opposition and standard we are playing against, all of which would'nt survive in the Conference.

I've supported this team for 42 years, so for us to be successful is a dream for me, but some of us need a reality check

The Rev

Last edited:

pusbccfc

I don't think it's just today. We have finally started signing some decent players. Today we played with two sides that aren't going to be the side starting away at Yeovil! Yet although it is Hinckley we still shown optimistic signs!

Cooksta94

Give it a rest mate, we won 8-0 and played good football. Let us have a celebration. When was the last time you saw Cov score 8 goals? Took us about 15 games to do it last season

CCFC_Charlie

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. We mustn't get carried away with what is undoubted a fantastic result, but a result that is close to what alot of us will have been expecting anyway. It's important now that we focus on the rest of the pre-season, use the next few friendlies to work out tactics and formations as well as creating an understanding within the squad. While it is disappointing that we aren't playing anyone particularly challenging in this pre-season as we did last year with Norwich and have done in previous years we just need to focus on trying to create a harmonised system within the squad and to be honest I think battering a few poor standards teams will help with that along with team morale. All I'd like to see the club sort out now is finalising Keogh's future, making the last few signings the squad needs and keeping everyone fit. The pre-season has started exceptionally well but we need to make sure we can continue in this vein. I know this example is slightly different but when teams like Norwich and Southampton achieve back to back promotions they based it alot on the momentum of the previous season, momentum that was gained by beating sides of a lower standard than the ones that they would have played in the Championship. Now seeing as we don't have that type of momentum I can see us trying to us the pre-season games a way of building up a sort of miniature run of form which we could then take into the coming season. I mean, it would be nice for a little more winning mentality to be ingrained into the place.

Last edited:

Astute

We should enjoy the moment and take each game as it comes.

The games will be good for the players to get to know each other and their style of play. Wins will be good for the confidence.

The Reverend Skyblue

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. We mustn't get carried away with what is undoubted a fantastic result, but a result that is close to what alot of us will have been expecting anyway. It's important now that we focus on the rest of the pre-season, use the next few friendlies to work out tactics and formations as well as creating an understanding within the squad. While it is disappointing that we aren't playing anyone particularly challenging in this pre-season as we did last year with Norwich and have done in previous years we just need to focus on trying to create a harmonised system within the squad and to be honest I think battering a few poor standards teams will help with that along with team morale. All I'd like to see the club sort out now is finalising Keogh's future, making the last few signings the squad needs and keeping everyone fit. The pre-season has started exceptionally well but we need to make sure we can continue in this vein. I know this example is slightly different but when teams like Norwich and Southampton achieve back to back promotions they based it alot on the momentum of the previous season, momentum that was gained by beating sides of a lower standard than the ones that they would have played in the Championship. Now seeing as we have type of momentum I can see us trying to us the pre-season games a way of building up a sort of miniature run of form which we could then take into the coming season. I mean, it would be nice for a little more winning mentality to be ingrained into the place.

A very reasoned and well put reply Charlie. I pray that we will at last have hope, its the ones who have come out and say we will win the league just because we beat Hinckley Town that my post was aimed at. I'm just calling for calm and not mass hysteria, wait until the end of September and we should know where we really stand, and thats all i am saying.

The Rev

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Sure 8-0 sounds nice but its just a friendly for both sides to gain match fitness. I don't think playing the likes of Hinckley is a new ploy to give false hope as we play teams of that standard every year for pre-season, usually with just 1 game against higher opposition. Why do people look so deeply into pre-season results? If we lose to lower opposition we are going down if we win its some jedi mind trick by SISU to sell season tickets!

ohitsaidwalker king power

Hi Rev.. sure we all know one swallow doesn't make a summer... but this is the first swallow we have seen for a while so I think its reasonable for normally downtrodden sky blue folk to look for a little silver lining in a usually overcast sky isn't it?
My feet are firmly on the ground, expecting the swallows to migrate....but hey... it was enjoyable yesterday so in my minds eye am going to relive the goals a while... and smile:D

Last edited:

CUS Wyken

I honesty cringe going through these posts.

AT Friday said don't judge us on result this is all about fitness levels. Posters on here said yeah result is irrelevant.

We go and win 8-0 and all of sudden were champions material.

Good to see a good result yes but friendlies mean Sweet FA when it comes to Yeovil

sky blue john

Thanks rev im glad some one has said it.
Hinkley's side was mostly made up of triallists that hadn't played together before. It would be obvious that they would be taken apart by any team slightly organised.

ccfcway

Thanks rev im glad some one has said it.
Hinkley's side was mostly made up of triallists that hadn't played together before. It would be obvious that they would be taken apart by any team slightly organised.

I'll take "slightly organised"

:D

kingharvest

I think the thing is, if we'd lost/drew/only won 1-0, some people would have been on here saying "friendly or not, we should be winning those games comfortably".

So we win it comfortably, and I bet it's those same people who are saying, "well its only Hinckley so the result means nothing".

From what I've read, no-one is getting carried away. We're just happy to do what we SHOULD be doing against teams like that.

Skybluefaz

After relegation, it is surely no bad thing to play some lesser teams and rack up a few wins and lots of goals. Morale for everyone involved in or with the club has never been lower. It seems that we are re-building on and off the pitch, with a bit of support for a change from the owners.

Getting in the habit of winning on the pitch in pre-season is no bad thing. Winning is a habit and part of building momentum going into Yeovil.

No point playing Real Madrid in a glamour friendly and losing 10-0, it's just be a chance to swap shirts for the players.

torchomatic

Yesterday was a lose-lose situation really.

We lose- we are crap, so is Thorn Sisu,etc
We draw - should have beat them, etc.
We win - well, we should win anyway, etc

We won and won well. The new lads looked good and so did the kids. We should be pleased. Some don't know how to be. When was the last time we hammered a team like that in pre-season?

It was a good result, we had something to smile about. No more.

I think the thing is, if we'd lost/drew/only won 1-0, some people would have been on here saying "friendly or not, we should be winning those games comfortably".

So we win it comfortably, and I bet it's those same people who are saying, "well its only Hinckley so the result means nothing".

From what I've read, no-one is getting carried away. We're just happy to do what we SHOULD be doing against teams like that.

stupot07

Aren't we playing Accrington Stanley, port vale and Bristol rovers? They are all league two sides which I the equivalent of Norwich playing us last season.

CovisGod

FFS, I'm sick of this shit ! Why do certain "fans" on here ALWAYS have to find the negatives in anything the club does, how the flying c**t can you find the negatives in an 8-0 win !! Give it a rest, Christ.

Brighton Sky Blue

Think you're forgetting that we also have Ross Co and Caley Thistle to play on this tour-neither are bad sides and will be a decent test.

blueflint

no way should these scottish teams be a challenge we should be miles better than that standard lets see if we are

kepit 2 yusen

Last season our friendly results were nothing to write home about in fact I for one was worried about the standard after the Nuneaton game. That continued right through the season. Yesterday was different, we played damn good football despite the results and bearing in mind the cobwebs havent fallen off yet, it was a good positive show. Don't know how it will continue but fair play to the squad yesterday. Some people in life are hell bent on putting a downer on any given situation. I have moaned when I've felt justified but not when I see positives - lighten up !
It was the biggest win out of all of the friendlies played yesterday !!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Nobody has said we will now win the league, yesterdays score was just a bit of fun and something to enjoy. It wasn't important

ajsccfc

Who said all problems have disappeared?

What is it about this place that a nice healthy friendly win (which is treated as a nice little bonus but ultimately meaningless) has to bring out such threads? They're completely unnecessary, as they counter points nobody is making.

Paxman II

It matters not who we play in friendlies. the fact is when these friendlies are arranged it's with the distinct intent of getting a competitive match under your belts and not simply playing among yourselves on the training pitch back at Ryton.

Both teams will relish such opportunity. You can not simply dismiss the result as irrelevent when you thrash the opposition 8-0 in the process. Winning this friendly in such manner will do wonders for the confidence and direction the team is being shaped for the coming season. Had we lost 3-0 I'm sure many questions would be asked already and doubts would creep in wouldn't they?

Truth is so far so good. Lets see if the next few friendlies can be as useful to us.

Users who are viewing this thread