Snooker thread (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I am a massive fan of professional snooker, myself being an "average" club player (highest break 67). I love watching it on TV and seeing emerging stars. So, if you are a fan, who is your favourite player, both past and present. My past favourites are David Taylor, Dennis Taylor, Stephen Hendry and Alex Higgins. My current favourites are Ding Junhui, Shaun Murphy, Neil Robertson and Kyren Wilson.
Saddest day in snooker? The passing of the talented Paul Hunter to cancer.
If you're a snooker fan like me, who are your favourites, past and present?

fernandopartridge

I am a massive fan of professional snooker, myself being an "average" club player (highest break 67). I love watching it on TV and seeing emerging stars. So, if you are a fan, who is your favourite player, both past and present. My past favourites are David Taylor, Dennis Taylor, Stephen Hendry and Alex Higgins. My current favourites are Ding Junhui, Shaun Murphy, Neil Robertson and Kyren Wilson.
I enjoy watching it, never really had particular favourites but can't stand Ronnie O'Sullivan

Paul Anthony

My Current favourite is Mark Williams. The guy was pretty much finished, fought back, won the world championship, really respect that.

Past favourite has to be Hurricane Higgins. I know he had a turbulent lifestyle, but a true entertainer who was playing a different kind of snooker to almost everyone else around at the time. In his prime, he'd look very much at home if he was playing now. Pioneered the modern way of playing in an age of "grinders".

Hope Kyren Wilson can live up to his potential. I'd love to see a lasting rivalry between him and Judd Trump.

I was gutted when Paul Hunter died. Really think he'd have been an all time great, surely he'd have won multiple worlds, the guy was a real talent.

Houchens Head

I enjoy watching it, never really had particular favourites but can't stand Ronnie O'Sullivan
I wasn't going to mention R.O'S simply because of the backlash from of his many fans, but I really can't stand the smug twat. Sure, he has a phenomenal talent, but so did Stephen Hendry - a far superior player in my opinion. I absolutely love it when O'Sullivan loses.

Houchens Head

My Current favourite is Mark Williams. The guy was pretty much finished, fought back, won the world championship, really respect that.

Past favourite has to be Hurricane Higgins. I know he had a turbulent lifestyle, but a true entertainer who was playing a different kind of snooker to almost everyone else around at the time. In his prime, he'd look very much at home if he was playing now. Pioneered the modern way of playing in an age of "grinders".

Hope Kyren Wilson can live up to his potential. I'd love to see a lasting rivalry between him and Judd Trump.

I was gutted when Paul Hunter died. Really think he'd have been an all time great, surely he'd have won multiple worlds, the guy was a real talent.
The saddest day in snooker history as far as I'm concerned. A lovely lad both on and off the snooker table. He didn't deserve to pass away with cancer. I'm thrilled that there is a tournament in his name.

SBAndy

Not a massive snooker follower but occasionally frequent the Atack snooker hall in Nuneaton as I used to play Sunday league football out of there. Mark Selby practices there, and he’s a nice guy.

Gazolba

My favourite was Hurricane Higgins, but I also used to like the guy who was always impeccably dressed in a waistcoat (Hendry?).Haven't played snooker or followed it in years though since it's not a major sport over here. I used to be pretty good at it; we had our own table at home.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Just going on from the players and the actual game, who's your favourite or worst commentator? My favourite(s) are Dennis Taylor, Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty and John Parrot. All extremely knowledgeable in the game. My most hated (even to the point of muting him!) is John Boring Virgo. He gets so much wrong. And he'll say something like "Well, I wouldn't have played that shot." No Virgo. That's why you won sod all. Okay, one UK Championship, but that was it!

Paul Anthony

Just going on from the players and the actual game, who's your favourite or worst commentator? My favourite(s) are Dennis Taylor, Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty and John Parrot. All extremely knowledgeable in the game. My most hated (even to the point of muting him!) is John Boring Virgo. He gets so much wrong. And he'll say something like "Well, I wouldn't have played that shot." No Virgo. That's why you won sod all. Okay, one UK Championship, but that was it!

Of the current ones, I probably have most time for Stephen Hendry. If anyone is qualified to offer their opinions and anysis of their sport, he's probably the person most qualified to do so. I also like that he's the one commentator who doesn't lick O'Sullvan's arse whenever he commentates on him. Alan McManus isn't too bad either, in general.

I used to like Clive Everton, too. Always found him very knowledgeable, having had many years commentating. Thought it a shame the beeb dropped him.

Oh, by the way, "WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING!?!?"

no_loyalty

My past favourite is Jimmy White, and my current favourite is Mark Allen but this is only because I know his UK tour manager.

covmark

Love watching O'Sullivan play. I only ever really watch snooker when he's playing. I think when he retires I won't really bother with it anymore.
Back in the day it was all about Jimmy White. I think that's why I always detested Hendry, he kept stopping him win the Worlds.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
My favourite was Big Break.

You don't get that kind of entertainment now. When they used to do the trick shots as well!

Paul Anthony

Ding just commited the old three misses and frame conceded, to go 4-5 down. Can't believe he didn't change his shot, puts him right on the cusp!

Paul Anthony

Yep, held it together well for the last two frames. Brecel missing a red he'd pot with his eyes closed in any other circumstances!

Houchens Head

Yep, held it together well for the last two frames. Brecel missing a red he'd pot with his eyes closed in any other circumstances!
If he'd have potted that simple red into the middle bag, he would have gone on to win. I bet he was gutted!

Paul Anthony

If he'd have potted that simple red into the middle bag, he would have gone on to win. I bet he was gutted!

Must have been. Especially with the kind of pot you'd expect to get almost every time you play it.

Still, I've always said you can spend hours practicing and perfecting your play, and it'll help you develop in general. But the one thing you can't replicate in practice is that pressure of a big match environment. It makes some very strange things happen.

Adge

For me it’s had its day really and needs reinventing a bit like the darts have been. I’m sure more people could tell you who the world darts champion (pdc) is over who the world snooker champion is.
Haven’t got a favourite player but O’Sullivan is one you can’t really ignore. Great player-crap bloke as I have met him a couple of times.
Jimmy white I used to love but unfortunately seen him lose at the crucible in 2 finals against Hendry who I used to dislike (probably as he always had the measure of Jimmy White) but was a great player.
White was a great bloke off the table as well and have again met him numerous times.
One of the most horrible experiences I had is when Jimmy White was playing an exhibition with Alex Higgins. Most people had come to see Higgins as he had retired from snooker and had been out of the limelight for years but the place was still packed. Full of self importance and so rude to people who were there to see/meet their hero-a horrible bloke.

Houchens Head

For me it’s had its day really and needs reinventing a bit like the darts have been. I’m sure more people could tell you who the world darts champion (pdc) is over who the world snooker champion is.
I doubt if that's true! I have absolutely no idea who is "big" in the darts world these days. I've heard of Phil Taylor, but that is really it! I gave up watching darts after players like Bobby George, Leighton Rees, Jocky Wilson, Cliff Lazerenko, Eric Bristow etc.

Gazolba

My favourite was Big Break.

You don't get that kind of entertainment now. When they used to do the trick shots as well!
I used to watch the old show "Pot Black", here is one match I found on Youtube:

Paul Anthony

Have to say, I thought Judd Trump played magnificently in that Final, especially the afternoon session. O'Sullivan just didn't get going. Honestly thought this was O'Sullivan's to lose, never expected to see him 7-1 down.

Houchens Head

Judd Trump played like a real champion. He was brilliant! Not sure that Sneery Twat O'Sullivan was trying at all.

Gazolba

Amazing attempt at maximum 147 break:

Gazolba

Here's an interesting game, I'm not even sure of how the scoring works when you miss the ball:

olderskyblue

Just seen Shaun Murphy’s shot to escape from a snooker Yesterday. wtf. not only escaped, but potted the only red…. He has to be a wizard…

Users who are viewing this thread