Slade Speaks (1 Viewer)

skybluepm2

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news...ssell-slade-under-no-illusions-on-task-ahead/

New Coventry City manager Russell Slade says he is under no illusions about the tough task ahead to avoid relegation on a low budget – amid multi-party political and commercial disputes surrounding the club.

Speaking exclusively with the Coventry Observer ahead of today’s press conference to welcome him, the experienced 56-year-old former Charlton Athletic, Cardiff City and Leyton Orient boss indicated he is coming into the job with eyes wide open.

He comes with a good reputation for working on a shoestring budget in League One after years of competing for promotion with Orient up to 2014, where he won League One manager of the year awards despite never buying a player and relying on loans.

He also has experience of clubs mired in protests by some fans and fans’ groups, after encountering demonstrations at Charlton against their owners, where he lasted just months this year.

His deal initially lasts until the end of this season and the club says he will be working with the same budget for players of between £2million and £2.5million going in to the January transfer window, for which it is claimed some money has been held back.

The budget is thought to be in the lower half for League One with the club under parent company Sisu seeking to continue the process of balancing the books after years of annual losses – without a stadium and commercial revenues and following the council’s Ricoh Arena sale to Wasps.

The Sky Blues are second from bottom of League One after six straight defeats and a second-round FA Cup exit at Cambridge United under departing caretaker manager Mark Venus, who replaced Tony Mowbray when he resigned in September after 10 League games without a win.

Slade told us: “The important thing is I can only control the controllables. My sole focus is to get the team and club away from the bottom of the table.

“It’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be an absolute battle. We haven’t a second to waste. That’s what I’ve told the players. We have 19 weeks left.

“I’ve worked with tough budgets before. It’s not always all about the money. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be unsuccessful. The numbers are what they are. We’re not in a position to be making excuses.

“We have to be positive and have a positive attitude. Every day the players wake up they have a choice to wake up with a positive attitude if they want to.

“I’ve only been here a few seconds but it’s not a job that can be achieved on my own. It needs everybody to be helping. People have already welcomed me coming in.

“I’ve been at clubs before where there have been protests and even where the club changed the colour of the shirt (Cardiff). I’m aware of issues many clubs have. We’re not in isolation at Coventry. I can only control the controllables.

“The January window is coming up. We have one bite at that to get recruitment right. Expect some wheeling dealing to some extent.

“The style of play is partly decided by the type of players here. As a manager you have to be adaptable. Hopefully there will be things to improve us defensively and in all areas of the pitch. We have to be resilient at the back.”

Asked whether he would look to bring in his own assistant, with his former assistant Kevin Nugent still at Charlton, he said he would look to have those discussions going forward.

Asked about the difficulties of clubs that do not have their own stadium he said: “It’s an unusual situation, bit it is what it is. I can’t control that.

“Hopefully at some stage we’ll have a home we can call a home.”

Asked about why he has come to Coventry, he told us: “Coventry has a fantastic tradition. Everybody should respect the tradition and what a great club it is. It is not in a position where it wants to be at the moment. I get that and everybody gets that.Let’s hope we can move forward from the position we’re in.

“On the playing side I think technically we’re strong. Against Charlton they had more possession but lost 3-0. So it’s about scoring goals and stopping goals.

“I’ll be here until the end of the season and then I’ll have a look beyond that. My sole focus is to keep the club up. Looking beyond that is premature.”

steve82

"Expect some wheeling dealing to some extent"
Sounds promising, if he's able to use the full amount of the deal.

ollyservetta

did his term come to an end at Charlton for basically them being in the same position we are in now ? because not a lot has changed down there since and they gave a bit of a hammering early on this season ,

Esoterica

Love the press conference pic on twitter.

No idea even VENUS needed to be there, and by his expression, neither does he :joyful:
How do you know which one is Venus? I've zoomed in a bit and I think you'll find they are identical twins.

Attachments

• slade.png
    slade.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 57

torchomatic

“I’ve worked with tough budgets before. It’s not always all about the money. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be unsuccessful. The numbers are what they are. We’re not in a position to be making excuses."

Great to read stuff like this, shatters a few illusions that all managers want big budgets. Not saying everything is suddenly ok on the pitch but I feel 100% better than I did 48 hours ago.

steve82

“I’ve worked with tough budgets before. It’s not always all about the money. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be unsuccessful. The numbers are what they are. We’re not in a position to be making excuses."

Great to read stuff like this, shatters a few illusions that all managers want big budgets. Not saying everything is suddenly ok on the pitch but I feel 100% better than I did 48 hours ago.

I echo that, I've a bit of a buzz about me now. Right appointment just in time I hope.
Mr Russell "freebie" Slade

Nick

Administrator
We have been crying out for somebody who can work within a budget, setup a system and draft in freebies to suit or to find a system to suit the players he has.

We are in league 1, we need to start finding a balance of strength with skill.

shmmeee

He's just what we need right now by the looks of it. The football will be shit, but we'll stay up and spend no money doing it.

Will be nice to see a team with a plan and a bit of bite, can't remember the last time we had that.

Nick

Administrator
He's just what we need right now by the looks of it. The football will be shit, but we'll stay up and spend no money doing it.

Will be nice to see a team with a plan and a bit of bite, can't remember the last time we had that.

Was it Boothroyd where a team were moaning about us being too physical, Cardiff rings a bell? Imagine that now.

shmmeee

Was it Boothroyd where a team were moaning about us being too physical, Cardiff rings a bell? Imagine that now.

I think Boothroyd or Adams were probably the closest we've had, how long ago was that?

torchomatic

Better than trying to play passing football with a team of players who can't seem to cope with it. We need to be more physical. Every team that has come to the Ricoh this year has bossed the ball and we've been too lightweight. We need to survive regardless of how that is achieved.

Nick

Administrator
Better than trying to play passing football with a team of players who can't seem to cope with it. We need to be more physical. Every team that has come to the Ricoh this year has bossed the ball and we've been too lightweight. We need to survive regardless of how that is achieved.

Exactly, it's all well and good having players who can do a 40 yard ball or do some step overs but they fall over too much. We need somebody in there to kick the shit out of th opposition and break everything up.

The Reverend Skyblue

well it is what it is, I agree we need to be more physical but how the hell do you make,'dancing feet' Lameries , 'I couldn't tackle a five year old' Bigi and the rest of the shite we have, god only knows.
He is going to laugh his bollocks off when he sees those clowns try and tackle in training, but good luck to the bloke he seems the best we could have done in this awful predicament we are in.
I wonder if Fisher has told him who to blame when we lose our first game.

Skyblueweeman

Love the press conference pic on twitter.

No idea even VENUS needed to be there, and by his expression, neither does he :joyful:

Who is the reporter fella? He's got a proper Tim Burgess barnet going on there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shmmeee

No I agree completely. I'm a sexy football fan but there's a time and a place and you've got to earn your space at this level. We've seen that pass and move at L1 level is hard as the players aren't generally bright enough for it.

cloughie

sorry but if no one has noticed

Speaking exclusively with the Coventry Observer ahead of today’s press conference
Gilbert has had shit and fairly, so what conclusion can we come to regarding Les reid as obviously in the pocket of sisu

Nick

Administrator
sorry but if no one has noticed

Speaking exclusively with the Coventry Observer ahead of today’s press conference
Gilbert has had shit and fairly, so what conclusion can we come to regarding Les reid as obviously in the pocket of sisu

What because they spoke to the new manager?

cloughie

What because they spoke to the new manager?
well some do beleive everything that comes out of reids mouth but slag the telegraph

I am no fan of the telegraph.... surely you can read between the lines of who they spoke to

those who go along with them or those who are banned

Sorry but lost my way here but why is it ok for les to do an exclusive before the official announcement if he is not in the fisher publicity scheme

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
well some do beleive everything that comes out of reids mouth but slag the telegraph

I am no fan of the telegraph.... surely you can read between the lines of who they spoke to

those who go along with them or those who are banned

Those who aren't making silly stories up about one of their players buying a car I'd guess.

Midlands today also.

I'd probably say going forward anybody but the telegraph.

cloughie

Those who aren't making silly stories up about one of their players buying a car I'd guess.

Midlands today also.

I'd probably say going forward anybody but the telegraph.

Sorry but lost my way there but why is it ok for les to do an exclusive before the official announcement if he is not in the fisher publicity scheme

Users who are viewing this thread