SkyBluesExtra podcasts (1 Viewer)

Adge

Very good listen the Micheal Doyle one about his time at Cov etc.
Also, Andy Morrell had a few interesting things to say about Doyle’s partner in midfield at the time Stephen Hughes.
“Could have been a good player if he turned up to training and on the pitch when he could be bothered”
Sounded like another one who wasn’t really interested and took the piss out of us. Still, we knew that already from his ineptitude on the field didn’t we.

Legia Sky Blue

Hughes played well for us in his first season at HR. After that though Morrell's words really do ring true, where Hughes played like he couldn't be arsed. If the players saw this though, it doesn't say much for the manager letting him get away with such behaviour and still playing him. Must have been Micky Adams time I would have thought.

Adge

Hughes played well for us in his first season at HR. After that though Morrell's words really do ring true, where Hughes played like he couldn't be arsed. If the players saw this though, it doesn't say much for the manager letting him get away with such behaviour and still playing him. Must have been Micky Adams time I would have thought.
Yes. Think Hughes was at Watford for a bit and then swiftly moved on by Charlton aswell. Maybe a case of the big ego after a handful of games for Arsenal and Everton.

AlansEyes

I watched the last game at HR that was on YouTube on Sat and was shocked to hear the chants of 'Hughesy, Hughesy' when we went to take a corner. Had completely forgotten that there was a period where he was a decent player for us.

pusbccfc

Doyle one is outstanding. Doyle absolutely loves the club. Would love him back as a coach.

SlowerThanPlatt

Would be surprised if Doyle came back. There has clearly been a plan to modernise the club into a mini Chelsea if you will with the playing style recruitment and coaching staff. Oggy went out and in came a goalkeeping coach from a youth background. The 23s manager , assistant manager and first team coach are also from youth backgrounds. I don’t think Doyle’s footballing ethos are a match for what we’re trying to build hence why he didn’t last too long in League 1

chiefdave

Doyle one is outstanding. Doyle absolutely loves the club. Would love him back as a coach.
When he left Robins said he'd be back as a coach in the future.
ccfc.co.uk said:
Manager Mark Robins paid tribute to the departing Doyle.

“Michael has been a key player for us since he re-joined the club in 2017.

“He has been a great example for our squad both on and off the field, was a huge part in our promotion to League One last season and an asset to the club as a whole.

“Michael has not featured for us in the last few months and at Michael’s stage of his career, he is understandably keen to play regular football and that opportunity has arisen at Notts County for him.

“On behalf of Coventry City Football Club, I would like to thank Michael for his contribution to the club over many years and wish him all the best for his future career.

"I look forward to working with him again in the future in a coaching capacity at the Club."

The Philosopher

The one theme is how much all of the players preferred HR to the Ricoh (due to the shape and atmosphere)

I genuinely think that, post the Covid crisis (with construction, finance, and labour costs cheaper and the desire for “getting the economy going” higher impacting planning decisions) the best thing we can do is forget about the Ricoh and get in and build a tight old fashioned ground.

Anyway.

Skybluefaz

This Doyle podcast is the first I've listened to from the Sky Blues Extra team. Overall the podcast came across a lot more polished than Lamptey. However I think that the Lamptey crew interact a bit better with guests. Brilliant to have good Coventry City content available. Obviously putting the telegraph stuff to shame

chiefdave

This Doyle podcast is the first I've listened to from the Sky Blues Extra team. Overall the podcast came across a lot more polished than Lamptey. However I think that the Lamptey crew interact a bit better with guests. Brilliant to have good Coventry City content available. Obviously putting the telegraph stuff to shame
Sad to see really but this is absolutely true. Such a shame when you think of how important the Telegraph and Pink were in the past.

I'd happily pay for decent coverage, maybe one day we'll be back in the Prem and get covered by The Athletic.

Adge

I listened to Nii Lamptey Bigirimana one last week and quite frankly it was embarrassing. They were constantly blowing smile up his arse and “wish he would come back as we all love you”.
They done a Chris Stokes one too and that was much more balanced.

Skybluefaz

I listened to Nii Lamptey Bigirimana one last week and quite frankly it was embarrassing. They were constantly blowing smile up his arse and “wish he would come back as we all love you”.
They done a Chris Stokes one too and that was much more balanced.
Yes, we know that you wanted them to tell him he's shite and ask about his time at Motherwell.

Legia Sky Blue

Would be surprised if Doyle came back. There has clearly been a plan to modernise the club into a mini Chelsea if you will with the playing style recruitment and coaching staff. Oggy went out and in came a goalkeeping coach from a youth background. The 23s manager , assistant manager and first team coach are also from youth backgrounds. I don’t think Doyle’s footballing ethos are a match for what we’re trying to build hence why he didn’t last too long in League 1

You're making a common mistake that football fans understandably make in thinking that players automatically coach in the style they are deemed to have played in. At his previous clubs Mark Robins is viewed as defensive minded, despite having been a centre forward, while I don't recall Adi Viveash being renowned for his 'total' football skills as a player.

Users who are viewing this thread