Skyblues Trust-why no action? (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

So SBT are waiting to confirm rumours about the WASPS Ricoh bid before taking any action about the widely reported council meeting on Tuesday.Especially as they acted on plenty of rumours when CCFC were playing at Sixfields.

It's been a week and still nothing from the so called 'fans representatives' of our club.

Have they spent all the energy coluding with the council to get rid of SISU?

Though their silence doesn't suprise me-after all this is an organisation (sic) that called for our club to go into administration.

I think their non-stance nonsense is extremely telling and confirms for many what we already knew.

That the SkyBlue Trust does NOT have Coventry City Football Club's best interests at heart, that they are a nothing but puppets for ACL and the council.

Unless of course they have a cunning plan to ambush Tuesday's meeting with thousands of Skyblue ribbons...

How can the Trust stand idly by when the Wasps move for our Arena (it was built for CCFC) is not just an affront to our club but of our community.

dongonzalos

The club say they don't want the arena.
What do the the trust do?
Get Joy Seppala at gun point and force her to make a counter offer.

Otis

There's a meeting tomorrow night in the Squirrel. Waggott will be there too.

Not sure what the SBT can do at the moment, Fergie.

Had a chat with them yesterday before the game and it's still all a bit of a muddle.

Let's look at what we know or have heard ...

Consortium putting bid in.

Wasps involved somehow, but seemingly the owner of Wasps, not neccessarily Wasps themselves in terms of moving here permanently (though that would seem the logical step)

Sisu saying they will not interfere in any bid. So, therefore as fans what are we supposed to do when even our own club doesn't appear to be up in arms about it?

Protest? Yes, we could. But protest about what exactly? The only thing I can see is that of opposition to Wasps coming in as a franchise sports team into our city.

Sisu still saying they are moving out and therefore the CCC have to obviously look at offers. Not saying that is ethically the right thing to do, but we can't protest at the fact that there are contingency plans in place if Sisu are serious about going.

Are Wasps to make this their permanent home?

Talk of Ray Ranson's involvement, which then sort of possibly points to a CCFC takeover.

I have written to my 3 local councillors, but past just saying they need to do the best thing for the city of Coventry, the people of Coventry and to protect 2 major sports teams of this city, I'm not sure what else can be done.

Think the SBT are in the same position. And as the SBT their number one priority has to be Coventry City FCand the supporters of Coventry City FC. You can't expect them to go out and oppose the deal if the deal somehow involved that of actually securing CCFC's future.

There are still so many grey areas. Yep, totally wrong for Wasps to come here and we should all oppose that, if that is the case, but with other news filtering through and possible takeover rumours flying around, it must put the SBT in a very difficult position.

We are just individual supporters. They are there to act in the best interest of the Sky Blues and all its supporters.

Wish it was indeed black and white, but the only conclusion I can come to is that of Wasps moving in and not much else and even on that we are still not sure if it would be for just big games or a permanent move.

Can't see what else the SBT can do other than put questions to Waggott tomorrow and then wait for the vote, if there is to be a vote. Only other thing I can see is that they write a statement urging the CCC and ACL to do the right thing here by the people of Coventry.

Last edited:

italiahorse

Are CCFC fans really bothered whether it's WASPS or CCC who run the arena.
As long as CCFC continue to play there is all that matters.

Sisu say they don't want the Arena and if they did they are unlikely to want it at it's worth (That's what they do).

I think fans are concerned that because Wasps run the Arena that CCFC will never get the chance to do the same.
In reality Sisu only ever wanted the arena to gain money and only ever considered CCFC as a means to an end in this miserable affair.

Otis

Surely aside from SISU, it should be towards the Council?

Well, yes Nick. That is why I think we should all write to our councillors urging them to act in our best interests, as citizens of Coventry.

But as the SBT, what else can they do? What if this deal concluded in a takeover of CCFC? Pretty much everyone has said they want Sisu out.

The Trust would be shooting themselves in the foot if somehow they helped scupper talks which might bring about new ownership.

Nick

Administrator
I think they have been right to wait until the meeting, at least then it can all be discussed can't it. Although IF things are going to be signed on Tuesday then it will probably be too late, saying that though if that is the case it was probably too late as soon as it was published in the CET anyway.

dongonzalos

The council have many responsibilities.
We want CCFC at the Ricoh.
The owners of CCFC are saying they don't want that they are building a new stadium.
The charity have always said they don't want to be running a football stadium.
They always intended to sell it back to the football club.
This can now not happen. So the charity want out.
If the council do not consider this offer and SISU go and build their new stadium.
The council would be criticised for turning down an opportunity to get the charity its money back and the council itself making money in the short term.
It will also bring additional revenue into the region.
The rugby club I believe are only concerned about the talent getting stolen.
If correct wasps can't come unless their development stays in its current area.
So what do people want the council to do?

What the trust and everyone should be doing is trying to establish how building a new stadium is financially a better option that SISU hijacking this deal.

Last edited:

cov1987

Maybe the trust know more than they can let on at the moment as I'm Shaw this deal with wasp involves the football club somewhere along the line.

NorthernWisdom

Well, yes Nick. That is why I think we should all write to our councillors urging them to act in our best interests, as citizens of Coventry.

But as the SBT, what else can they do? What if this deal concluded in a takeover of CCFC? Pretty much everyone has said they want Sisu out.

The Trust would be shooting themselves in the foot if somehow they helped scupper talks which might bring about new ownership.

That's a preferring cat shit to dog shit scenario however.

Surely it's not takeover at *any* cost? We did that last time, remember!

Oh I agree however with the general point that the SBT shouldn't take action just yet however... much as with the Sixfields mess. They are being consistent after all.

Otis

Oh I agree however with the general point that the SBT shouldn't take action just yet however... much as with the Sixfields mess. They are being consistent after all.

Yes, true.

The word I got back from the SBT was one of obviously doing the best thing for Coventry City as their priority.

If Ranson was to be somehow involved with a takeover I'm sure it will be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Fergusons_Beard

Otis it is most definitely black and white.

Whether WASPS do play at the arena or not.

Do you really think that someone who pays 30m for the arena will be content with the measly sum of 1 sporting club?

Apart from the obvious point of CCFC Actually owning their own stadium and definitely needing those funding streams to fund the club for the future (Thats another debate)There's also the negotiating of rent with CCFC & new owners-they could raise it at any time.

Otis I applaud you for your actions of writing to the council & I definitely do think that the SBT when so vehement in their anti-Sixfields/SISU stance, are so obviously staying quiet when it is most definitely an attack on CCFC playing Coventry.

Otis

Do you really think that someone who pays 30m for the arena will be content with the measly sum of 1 sporting club?

Apart from the obvious point of CCFC Actually owning their own stadium and definitely needing those funding streams to fund the club for the future (Thats another debate)There's also the negotiating of rent with CCFC & new owners-they could raise it at any time.

Otis I applaud you for your actions of writing to the council & I definitely do think that the SBT when so vehement in their anti-Sixfields/SISU stance, are so obviously staying quiet when it is most definitely an attack on CCFC playing Coventry.

They don't believe that though and I'm not sure sure it is either.

I can't see how this can be good news for CCFC, but with so many rumours flying around and talk of Ranson's grubby hands all over it, who's to say this deal doesn't include CCFC somehow.

NorthernWisdom

They don't believe that though and I'm not sure sure it is either.

I can't see how this can be good news for CCFC, but with so many rumours flying around and talk of Ranson's grubby hands all over it, who's to say this deal doesn't include CCFC somehow.

The thing is...

At whatever level Wasps were to use the stadium, if we welcomed their owners as the new Ricoh owners, and then CCFC owners, what right would we have to complain if five years down the line they got a better offer to shuffle each club somewhere else?

Even if a deal makes immediate financial sense, it in no way makes emotional or sociological sense.

In effect, by supporting any move of a sports team *into* the city, we would be supporting indirectly any move of a sports team *out of* the city too.

Ashdown

SISU only care about costs and possible profit. Maybe they think that they can keep their rental costs to a minimum now if they are ground sharing once again. Also maybe they think they might be able to negotiate better terms all round with Wasps rather than the council on the other revenue streams. Personally I don't want Wasps anywhere near Coventry apart from perhaps a few lucrative European showcase fixtures. The really sad facts for me are that Coventry people do not generally get off their arses and support their sports teams in sufficient enough numbers to promote clubs strong enough to have more clout and respect. 7.700 at the City and 1076 at BPA...........where were the other circa 328,000 people and that of course is just those within the City boundaries ?

skybluetony176

Surely aside from SISU, it should be towards the Council?

What are we fighting for exactly Nick. Our owner has said that she won't step in the way of any deal and TF has been saying for as long as I can remember that the club has moved on and is building it's own ground. It doesn't really give us a platform for protest does it?

I don't know if wasps have a supporters trust or organised protest group but if they approached the Trust for help then that might work but our owners aren't giving us any reason to protest.

Otis

The thing is...

At whatever level Wasps were to use the stadium, if we welcomed their owners as the new Ricoh owners, and then CCFC owners, what right would we have to complain if five years down the line they got a better offer to shuffle each club somewhere else?

Even if a deal makes immediate financial sense, it in no way makes emotional or sociological sense.

In effect, by supporting any move of a sports team *into* the city, we would be supporting indirectly any move of a sports team *out of* the city too.

Yes, agree, NW. I simply do not want Wasps here. But for the SBT they are the SBT, the Sky Blue Trust.

It would be totally wrong of them to put the Wasps interests before our own. That has to be secondary to their thinking.

For what its worth, I myself just cannot see Wasps coming in and CCFC being forced to leave. Wasps get lower crowds than we are even getting now and if they did come here, I'm sure there would be a Sixifelds affect amongst many of their fans, with them totally boycotting the Ricoh.

This whole thing would make perfect sense from the buyer's perspective to have 2 sports teams playing at the Ricoh in tandem. Would make no sense whatsoever for just Wasps to just set up home alone.

I also keep coming back to the view that CCC will include some protection for both CRFC and CCFC in any proposal.

That still however makes Wasps coming here wrong though of course.

Nick

Administrator
What are we fighting for exactly Nick. Our owner has said that she won't step in the way of any deal and TF has been saying for as long as I can remember that the club has moved on and is building it's own ground. It doesn't really give us a platform for protest does it?

I don't know if wasps have a supporters trust or organised protest group but if they approached the Trust for help then that might work but our owners aren't giving us any reason to protest.

Surely it would be against another team being moved into the city that could damage both the football team and the rugby team?

Otis

And if they did come here, I would urge every rugby loving fan in the city to boycott all their games.

I've never been to a rugby game before, though have been tempted on the odd occasion to see Cov play, but I would never, ever go into the ricoh to watch Wasps play any 'home' games for sure.

skybluetony176

I think you're missing the point of The Trust. They're job is to represent the majority view of their members. The majority of their members were vehemently against the move to Suxfields and hate SISU with a passion so the stance of the trust on that issue really shouldn't be that surprising. In stark contrast it's members don't know what the hell is going on at the moment and don't know what the best course of action is.

NorthernWisdom

Yes, agree, NW. I simply do not want Wasps here. But for the SBT they are the SBT, the Sky Blue Trust.

And whilst they shouldn't act yet, in my view, the long term benefits to CCFC are Wasps not being here full-stop.

Regardless of immediate financial benefit.

If we cast our mind back to when SISU rocked up, the benefit would have been to let the clock tick over, wouldn't it, even though that would have not been the best option in the immediate financial sense.

It might be time for a long and tedious post from me (for a change ;) ) to explain why...

skybluetony176

Surely it would be against another team being moved into the city that could damage both the football team and the rugby team?

You mean like how you protested on behalf of cobblers and saints fans when CCFC moved to Northampton? The sun's shining, get your mower out I'll get mine out as well, wasps will be calling the proposed takeover of by tea time.

Nick

Administrator
You mean like how you protested on behalf of cobblers and saints fans when CCFC moved to Northampton? The sun's shining, get your mower out I'll get mine out as well, wasps will be calling the proposed takeover of by tea time.

I never gave SISU a penny and cut my grass, that was protest enough ;) A lot more than some of the shouty shouty sorts on here.

quinn1971

And whilst they shouldn't act yet, in my view, the long term benefits to CCFC are Wasps not being here full-stop.

Regardless of immediate financial benefit.

If we cast our mind back to when SISU rocked up, the benefit would have been to let the clock tick over, wouldn't it, even though that would have not been the best option in the immediate financial sense.

It might be time for a long and tedious post from me (for a change ;) ) to explain why...

do we actually know wasps are buying the ricoh ? If it's a consortium lead by their owner then it may be a great result for us, If it's true that ranson Hoffman and Elliot are involved somewhere then it must be of benefit to ccfc, I see that whoever owns the Ricoh would put an offer in to sisu to buy the club back and finally the club would own the ground they play in, sisu have been after a way out for ages, looks like they may finally have one, I don't pay too much attention to rumours BUT there was one post recently somewhere that somebody had seen a text message from tim fisher commenting about new owners and said be careful what you wish for, it said after xmas you'll wish you had sisu back ? Would explain why seppala said she wouldn't get in the way of an offer for the Ricoh, it's thier way out, fingers crossed

torchomatic

Cat shit.

Ashdown

Ranson ?? That prick shafted us for around £1.5 million of inflated debt interest payments allegedly before he fecked off !! Keep him well away, he's only looking at lining his own pockets again !

torchomatic

And similar to you and Spider_Ricoh complaining against the Shitfields (sic) move yet backing ACL on moving Wasps to the Midlands. What's the difference?

NorthernWisdom

Get the the feeling you don't agree , if it leads to sisu doing one I'll be happy

Blog_out-of-frying-pan-into-fire.jpg

torchomatic

You may not have, and if not, I apologise, I just though you had. I'll just use S_R as my example

Can't speak for SR but point out where I've backed the wasps moving to the Midlands.

Users who are viewing this thread