skyblues fans in or around Norwich (1 Viewer)

The Reverend Skyblue

I am going to go through shortly a trial separation from my wife of 24 years.
Which means me having to sell our home and move into or close to Norwich from my home in Diss 25 miles away so I can complete my final year of an engineering degree where I'm a 54 year old mature student retraining after a bad injury at work which put an end to my manual skillset.
My question is there any skybluer's who go to games either home or away from Norwich and its close surroundings who wouldn't mind a slow walking individual joining onto the trips. I obviously will share petrol costs or whatever.
This has been without doubt the worst calendar year of my life, absolutely nothing has gone right apart from me passing my second year, its been much worse than the year of my life changing injury, and the following year which I spent nearly all of having four disc removals in hospital.
At the moment after I finish I intend moving back to my more central areas as I find living in rural Norfolk bloody awful. If you cant talk about agriculture, or the in and outs of John Deere combine harvesters, the talk in the local can be limited.
Suffolk Skyblue, I know there is two, but one of them knows me and can vouch for my character as we have been to a game together.
I just cant wait for this year to end as next year I have been informed is the year of the Rev, which will involve me finally going back to work, which is the thing that I really really miss passionately and the target that has kept me going since the injury many years ago.
End of life story, but if someone is about and don't mind me joining along I'm up for it

Last edited:

superskyblue

Sorry to hear that too. I don't know if you're planning on going this weekend to Cambridge (it's not too far away). If you are, and you haven't got a ticket yet, I have a spare student ticket that you can have F.O.C.

The Reverend Skyblue

Sorry to hear that too. I don't know if you're planning on going this weekend to Cambridge (it's not too far away). If you are, and you haven't got a ticket yet, I have a spare student ticket that you can have F.O.C.
Thanks for the thought, ive got my tickets for Cambridge as I'm going with my son, who is a big Liverpool supporter, but I cant hold that against him. He moves out to go and live in Brussels for work very soon, so its another huge thing in my life that I have to cope with as me and him are really close.

The Great Eastern

I live in Norwich (Bowthorpe) but only get to games when the mood takes me which, frankly, isn't at all often these days. I'm going to Cambridge this Saturday and may take in the games at Colchester and Stevenage although I'm heavily involved with grass roots football on Saturdays'. If you want a lift this Saturday, just say and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement !
p.s. living in the city of Norwich is great & I won't ever be moving back to the Midlands under any circumstances !

The Reverend Skyblue

Nick I did put this in off topic section so I don't know how it got into general chat. The Great Eastern, thanks again and if you see above your post ive got tickets and arrangements for this Saturday but I will keep you in mind in the future

Last edited:

Moff

I know its not answering your question about fans near Norwich, but Rev I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the year you have had, and hope that you are soon back on the upward slope, and next year is indeed the year of the Rev!
Retraining and doing an engineering degree is something you must be very proud of, and best of luck with it all

The Great Eastern

Nick I did put this in off topic section so I don't know how it got into general chat. The Great Eastern, thanks again and if you see above your post ive got tickets and arrangements for this Saturday bit I will keep you in mind in the future
No worries Rev. My son who was born in Norwich (and should logically support the Canaries) is a keen Sky Blue fan who goes more often than me and is indeed following up going to the Vale game by attending again for the Carlisle match....foolish lad I say ! Three games in 8 days is dedication to the cause considering the form we're showing.

Ranjit Bhurpa

Which means me having to sell our home and move into or close to Norwich from my home in Diss 25 miles so I can complete my final year of an engineering degree where I'm a 54 year old mature student retraining after a bad injury at work which put an end to my manual skillset.
My question is there any skybluer's who go to games either home or away from Norwich and its close surroundings who wouldn't mind a slow walking individual joining onto the trips. I obviously will share petrol costs or whatever.
This has been without doubt the worst calendar year of my life, absolutely nothing has gone right apart from me passing my second year, its been much worse than the year of my life changing injury, and the following year which I spent nearly all of having four disc removals in hospital.
At the moment after I finish I intend moving back to my more central areas as I find living in rural Norfolk bloody awful. If you cant talk about agriculture or the in and outs of John Deere combine harvesters the talk in the local can be limited.
Suffolk Skyblue, I know there is two, but one of them knows me and can vouch for my character as we have been to a game together.
I just cant wait for this year to end as next year I have been informed is the year of the Rev, which will involve me finally going back to work, which is the thing that I really really miss passionately and the target that has kept me going since the injury many years ago.
End of life story, but if someone is about and don't mind me joining along I'm up for it
Can't help with transport I'm afraid Rev as I'm t'other side of the country, but can offer my best wishes with your situation.
I've been there too although only after 14 years and was made redundant at 54. Just when you think there is little hope, you do come through the other side with the help of your children, close friends and a glass half full outlook.
All the very best for your future.

The Reverend Skyblue

I know its not answering your question about fans near Norwich, but Rev I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the year you have had, and hope that you are soon back on the upward slope, and next year is indeed the year of the Rev!
Retraining and doing an engineering degree is something you must be very proud of, and best of luck with it all
Cheers Moff
It has been or will be my greatest achievement if I do pass the third year and complete the journey back from my injuries. As my maths O level was 38 years old, to gain entry onto the course I had to pass two further maths exams which somehow I did.
Since then the Calculus based maths has been so hard for me, and I really struggled with it, so spent so many hours locked away in my office which meant to my cost that I neglected my good lady.
I will be proud though, I'm currently on 67% pass mark which is a good 2/1, but I do fear this devastation will make my marks plummet

Last edited:

Hobo

Just think Rev, a new chapter in your life. Soon to be seeking work again and it sounds like you will be free to move where the fancy takes you. Chin up son and look at that horizon.

Moff

Cheers Moff
It has been or will be my greatest achievement if I do pass the third year. As my maths O level was 38 years old to gain entry onto the course II had to pass two further maths exams which somehow I did.
Since then the Calculus based maths has been so hard for me and I really struggled with it,so spent so many hours locked away in my office which meant to my cost that I neglected my good lady.
I will be proud though, I'm currently on 67% pass mark which is a good 2/1, but I do fear this devastation will make my marks plummet

Rev, the fact that you are retraining itself is a fantastic achievement.

I am sort of semi retired, similarly to you due to a nasty back injury, although yours sounded a lot worse than mine. I would happily retrain but am clueless as to what to do. ( Have a degree in Town planning, and also worked in the field of law, but not interested in either) You have had vision, and desire, and the guts to do it and you should feel proud, as at whatever age over the norm, its hard to go back as a mature student, and you have done it for two years so far.

Keep up the great work, you can do it, and bag the 2:1, but whatever you get will be a fantastic achievement in such a tough subject. Who knows what great opportunities in work and life this will bring, and next year will indeed be the year of the Rev!

The Great Eastern

Rev....it's probably the last thing on your mind right now but I belong to an active social group mostly based in or around Norwich. I get a good social life out of it and there are events advertised most days or evenings of the week. I wont put the name on here as there will always be someone who will want to troll the site. If/when we cross paths, I'll give you further details. You're about the right age for the group and the demographic is around 2 women to every male. Like I say, probably not on your immediate list of priorities right now but one to consider when the fan blowing the shite around switches itself off. I split from my partner 24 years ago so sympathise greatly with your situation. Living in Diss can't be a bundle of laughs either....:vomit::joyful:

oucho

Which means me having to sell our home and move into or close to Norwich from my home in Diss 25 miles so I can complete my final year of an engineering degree where I'm a 54 year old mature student retraining after a bad injury at work which put an end to my manual skillset.
At the moment after I finish I intend moving back to my more central areas as I find living in rural Norfolk bloody awful. If you cant talk about agriculture or the in and outs of John Deere combine harvesters the talk in the local can be limited.

Covisgod lives near Kings Lynn so not too far from you.

If this is too personal then just tell me to shut up, but if you're having a trial separation with your wife it seems a bit extreme to be selling the house? Or is the fact of you selling up basically unconnected with the trial separation?

The Reverend Skyblue

Rev....it's probably the last thing on your mind right now but I belong to an active social group mostly based in or around Norwich. I get a good social life out of it and there are events advertised most days or evenings of the week. I wont put the name on here as there will always be someone who will want to troll the site. If/when we cross paths, I'll give you further details. You're about the right age for the group and the demographic is around 2 women to every male. Like I say, probably not on your immediate list of priorities right now but one to consider when the fan blowing the shite around switches itself off. I split from my partner 24 years ago so sympathise greatly with your situation. Living in Diss can't be a bundle of laughs either....:vomit::joyful:
We liked Diss at first, we came here from ten years in France and all was well as my daughter and son were doing well at school and Uni. But after four years its so god awful, I consider myself a young 54 year old but you go out anywhere in Diss,whether Tesco's or socially and everyone is 90 and on their last legs and all they do is sit there and moan like fuck all night. The driving here is a sight to behold as I'm still to see someone under twenty five drive ,its all old biddies/blokes who haven't a Scooby doo how to drive at more than 25 miles an hour. Diss though a town, has loads of pubs,15 maybe but only one that has middle aged people in and a good vibe, but just my luck its the farthest one from my house across town
I think I need something livelier ,though I'm no party animal but some people youngish will do.
If I get a bit lonely in Norwich I will let you know definitely and thanks for the invite

Sky Blue Harry H

Good luck with everything Rev, although Great Eastern's promise of taking on 2 women, when he's already read that you've had discs removed from your back is bordering on the cruel. Yellow card at least! Seriously, though glad you've got some of the SBA to network with.

fernandopartridge

Sorry to hear about your injury. There was a fella who posted on here from Norwich, he had a ST last season, think he takes his nipper.......it's CovisGod mentioned above....

Diss sounds just like Alan Partridge describes Norfolk

CovisGod

Sorry to hear this mate,

I'm Norfolk too, near Sandringham. I don't go as much as I'd like due to work but I'll be sure to give you a shout next time a few of us are going down.

shmmeee

Not in Norwich, but if you read Off Topic you’ll know I went through something similar, even down to it happening during retraining and completing a degree as a mature student.

Just wanted to say keep your chin up, it gets better. And the feeling when you hand in that last piece of coursework regardless of all the shit the world threw at you is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

Sorry to hear all of this Rev, particularly as you always seem a chearful chap who has a good sense of humour. I'm nowhere near you but like others, just wanted to tell you good luck. I'm 54 next year and I admire your balls mate, I've often thought of changing my life but have bottled it for safe but wanting. Fair play to you and hope your next job and relationship is a happy one that lasts :)

Suffolkskyblue

Hi Rev, so sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everything works out for you, you deserve a change of fortune. I can indeed vouch for you being a top bloke and hope to see you at forthcoming local away games. I'll hopefully make it to Cambridge and Colchester. See you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reverend Skyblue

Not in Norwich, but if you read Off Topic you’ll know I went through something similar, even down to it happening during retraining and completing a degree as a mature student.

Just wanted to say keep your chin up, it gets better. And the feeling when you hand in that last piece of coursework regardless of all the shit the world threw at you is a thing is beauty.
Cheers schmee I did comment on your thread at the time to wish you well, I am really pleased its getting better for you, and thanks for the comment.
I just wish this was back in off topic thread

Skyblueweeman

Rev, I've not posted anything in a few days as we've just completed day 3 of our ride, but I wanted to comment on this. Massive congrats on passing your 2nd year. It's great to see that age is no barrier to achieving what you want to do. There's 800 other cyclists doing this ride as part of an organised ride and our group of 5 follow their route sometimes. It's brilliant to see thatpeople of all ages are so driven to succeed in what they want to do.

Sorry to hear about the rest of the stuff you have going on. I don't know what that's like but can imagine it's a tough time.

Chin up mate,

WM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnythespider

"Two girls for every guy" sang the beach boys. Who knew it was about Norwich.
How much is property down that way
Best of luck with everything Rev

shmmeee

Sorry to hear all of this Rev, particularly as you always seem a chearful chap who has a good sense of humour. I'm nowhere near you but like others, just wanted to tell you good luck. I'm 54 next year and I admire your balls mate, I've often thought of changing my life but have bottled it for safe but wanting. Fair play to you and hope your next job and relationship is a happy one that lasts :)

Not directed at you personally Reg, though feel free to take it as that too, but as someone who took five years of umming and ahhing before making the jump to retrain: do it. It’s never too late and it’s never as hard as it seems from the outside.

Life is far far too short to wonder what if. Back yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread