Sky History Carpentry Show Blunder (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
You would have thought that a history channel would have done a bit of research! The bloke is covered in Nazi Tattoos.

giphy.gif

ajsccfc

'I happily chatted to a Nazi on the telly'

2fuuv0sa0fz1000

(look past the fact I just realised it's actually Bob Mortimer pressing the button, he would never do such a thing and is the best person alive)

NorthernWisdom

Never had you down as a lefty, Nick ;)

(I can't work out if her account is a parody, or if she's just obsessed!!)

The replies from Sky History suggest they did do some research beforehand. Such as it was.

(If nothing else, that's got to hurt, having someone jab your face with a needle repeatedly!)

Oh, and personally I'd have thought too many coincidences (too many! Nobody's that naive, surely!), not going there, regardless of if they were coincidences! Guess it gets them some publicity...

Nick

Administrator
Did they really believe that about his dad dying in 88? ha

He also has one for White Power too? Dad's initials WP?

Nick

Administrator
It is quite funny though how nobody has stopped to think.

"Actually, is this a good idea?"

It's not as if it's even on his arm and they have asked him to cover up.

shmmeee

Even if it was your dads year of death, surely if you rocked up to a tattoo artist and asked for 88 on your face they’d have a word and explain the implications.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
He might have the swastika as a sign of good luck and well-being as the original meaning represented.
Coca-Cola used it. Carlsberg used it on their beer bottles. The Boy Scouts adopted it and the Girls' Club of America called their magazine Swastika. They would even send out swastika badges to their young readers as a prize for selling copies of the magazine.
It was used by American military units during World War One and it could be seen on RAF planes as late as 1939.

_78463617_swastika_comp624.jpg

shmmeee

He might have the swastika as a sign of good luck and well-being as the original meaning represented.
Coca-Cola used it. Carlsberg used it on their beer bottles. The Boy Scouts adopted it and the Girls' Club of America called their magazine Swastika. They would even send out swastika badges to their young readers as a prize for selling copies of the magazine.
It was used by American military units during World War One and it could be seen on RAF planes as late as 1939.

View attachment 17281

Something happen in 1939 then did it?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Something happen in 1939 then did it?
Yep. Siam changed its name to Thailand, the Spanish Civil War ended and Hewlett Packard was formed. Oh yeah, and a bit of a conflict started off somewhere in Poland.

chiefdave

Show has been binned. What I don't get is if this chap is happy to get facial nazi tattoos why is he now continuing to deny he is far right. Surely if you want to keep it secret you don't tattoo it on your face?

Nick

Administrator
I also dont get why the History tried to bullshit their way out of it about it being to do with his dad.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I also dont get why the History tried to bullshit their way out of it about it being to do with his dad.

Didn't the bloke with the tattoos say the 88 was a reference to it being about his dad dying in '88? Only trouble being when his dad did an interview to say he hadn't died in 1988.

So they weren't trying to bullshit their way out of it, they were just repeating/reporting what they'd been told was the meaning behind the tattoo. A bit of digging revealed it was a load of bollocks.

It's a fault of their background/research team rather than an attempt to bullshit their way out of it.

Nick

Administrator
Didn't the bloke with the tattoos say the 88 was a reference to it being about his dad dying in '88? Only trouble being when his dad did an interview to say he hadn't died in 1988.

So they weren't trying to bullshit their way out of it, they were just repeating/reporting what they'd been told was the meaning behind the tattoo. A bit of digging revealed it was a load of bollocks.

It's a fault of their background/research team rather than an attempt to bullshit their way out of it.

Yeah but you don't publicly use it as a reason without checking it out first.

They rushed to say it was to do with his dad when it was pointed out.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah but you don't publicly use it as a reason without checking it out first.

They rushed to say it was to do with his dad when it was pointed out.
tbf, anybody who films a whole series, and then uses in their trailers, a man with lots of facial tattoos with dubious meanings... probably isn't getting off on the best start on how to produce easy middle of the road TV for gran and granddad to watch during lockdown.

Nick

Administrator
Its a shame as I would probably have watched it too, love that sort of shite. Will stick to Forged in Fire.

NorthernWisdom

The conspiracy theorist in me does wonder if they did realise eventually, so shoved him in the trailers so they could pull it ASAP.

Where are the interviews, anyway, with the other contestants?

'I always thought he was a wrong'un'

'He was a lovely fella, always allowing me use of his chisel'.

Users who are viewing this thread