Sky blue special (1 Viewer)

SABBU

With the opening of the railway station planned for next year just wondered if it would
be logistically possible to run special trains to some away games.
I am lucky to be of an age to remember the great times in the 60s to have travelled
many times on the Sky Blue Special and remember what a great time we all had.
A train carrying 400 passengers would take 8 coaches or up to 180-200 cars off the road. Fans could park at the ricoh jump on the train and away.
Not all games would be viable (station too far from the ground etc) but some are only minutes walk away.

Astute

I used to go on the special in the 80's. Had some great times. It seemes as though it was done to keep as many of us together to make it easier to police us as much as anything else.

If the special got going again I would be happy to travel to Cov to get on it, even if that meant driving past where we were playing to get there :D

Gray

i just saw a Documentary about them football special trains....i think i'll give it a miss thanks ;)

chiefdave

think the biggest problem these days would be that different companies operate on different parts of the network but it's definitely something that would be worth the club looking into even if it wasn't for every match.

Disorganised1

British Rail stopped it last time once they realised JH was making money from it. I remember playing Bingo going to Stoke, and we parked up oin some siding and it was a 5 foor jump to get out of the carriage, or walk all the way to the front.

Voice_of_Reason

With the opening of the railway station planned for next year just wondered if it would
be logistically possible to run special trains to some away games.
I am lucky to be of an age to remember the great times in the 60s to have travelled
many times on the Sky Blue Special and remember what a great time we all had.
A train carrying 400 passengers would take 8 coaches or up to 180-200 cars off the road. Fans could park at the ricoh jump on the train and away.
Not all games would be viable (station too far from the ground etc) but some are only minutes walk away.

I remember using the Sky Blue Special --- Charles Harold as caller playing Bingo ! Those were the days ! Rattles wiring around to "Glad All Over", 30,000 plus gates.... if only.......

spwaverley4916

"The joy of free-market capitalism is that anyone can buy a train for the day: all you need is a spare £15,000 – or £40,000, depending on which report you believe. Virgin charter an average of two trains a week during the football season which take club managers, players and some supporters to away games. Trains – or entire carriages within timetabled services – are also hired for corporate days out and by the occasional wealthy individual. How much for G2's own train? Unfortunately Virgin need two days to get back to us. "It's very much a bespoke product," explains a spokesman."

if we cant afford the rent we cant afford a train!!!!! -:facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread