Sky Blue Aintree Grand National Connection. (1 Viewer)

rob9872

So if in a grand prix 1 person died every race would this be deemed as acceptable! I do not. You say they are enjoying a great life. So would motor racing drivers. Fact is any sport that involved a human fatality rate of 5% would be banned. You know it so do I. Do you know race horses had a great life? Are you actively involved in charities that look after them when they are abandoned? I am and I do.

Yes I do know they have a great life as I have owned them. I also know that they are shot TO BE HUMANE! The horses love running so much that they continue to try and jump fences after a fall even with a broken leg causing them more pain and damage which is why it is impractical to harness their breaks until fit again and have to be destroyed. Yes its a shame but you see them with ears pricked on race day strutting around and if you love horses you will know they are enjoying it.

rob9872

If it wasn't for a dodgy condom or your mother's getting the shits on the pill I doubt you would have been "bred" either. Pathetic attempt to justify a disgusting "sport"

Possibly so but better than being the result of a dwarf raping your mother whilst her pimp stood by and watched. Oh btw as a future tip, its not a pathetic attempt its simply factual. I guess it helps to know something about a subject before you pass comment on it.

Grendel

Yes I do know they have a great life as I have owned them. I also know that they are shot TO BE HUMANE! The horses love running so much that they continue to try and jump fences after a fall even with a broken leg causing them more pain and damage which is
why it is impractical to harness their breaks until fit again and have to be destroyed. Yes its a shame but you see
them with ears pricked on race day strutting around and if you love horses you will know they are enjoying it.

Oh ok so how did you contain these horses when they were not competing. Or were they just grazing as horses do? If you think they were given the intellect and were told that there was a significant chance of death then would they compete or not what would they do? Also of there was no money involved these tired stupid arguments would not be rolled out again and again, I have seen the abuse ex race horses have been subjected to as I am a major contributor to a sanctuary. I own horses and one of these was also a significant competitor in the past. Oddly he now spends his days grazing and going for the occasional hack. I do not think he will be reporting me to the R.S.P.C.A.

rob9872

Oh ok so how did you contain these horses when they were not competing. Or were they just grazing as horses do? If you think they were given the intellect and were told that there was a significant chance of death then would they compete or not what would they do? Also of there was no money involved these tired stupid arguments would not be rolled out again and again, I have seen the abuse ex race horses have been subjected to as I am a major contributor to a sanctuary. I own horses and one of these was also a significant competitor in the past. Oddly he now spends his days grazing and going for the occasional hack. I do not think he will be reporting me to the R.S.P.C.A.

Nor should he. What you and others like you do is admirable, but it certainly doesn't make the sport barbaric. MAny are now looked after post racing and bad owners and trainers (like our own Mick Quinn) thankfully receive bans, but at a fear of repeating myself they would never be here in the first place were it not for racing!

Coventry La La La

Grand National 2012: two more horse deaths threaten future of Grand National

The RSPCA has branded the deaths of two horses at the 2012 Grand National as "totally unacceptable".

Gavin Grant, the charity's chief executive, says an urgent investigation must be launched after Synchronised, this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, and According to Pete were put down following falls.

He also criticised overuse of the whip in the final stages of the race, saying the result should be reversed.

"The death of two horses at the Grand National, bringing the total to three at the Aintree meeting, is totally unacceptable," Mr Grant said.

"This is the second year running that two horses have died. In its current format, the risks to horses are not appropriate and we want an urgent examination of the Grand National, including a number of fences including Beecher's Brook where horses are continuing to die despite safety improvements.

"It would appear the whip was overused in the final stages of the race. If that is the case it is totally unacceptable and given the narrow margin of the win I believe the result should be reversed."

Channel 4 and At The Races pundit John McCririck felt Synchronised should never have started the race after getting loose, and that the rules must be looked at.

"Racing must review whether horses should be allowed to take part if they get loose and run free," said McCririck.

"For years, along with others, I've campaigned for horses to be withdrawn if they unnaturally exert themselves at such a crucial moment.

"Although Synchronised went for less than two furlongs, and was examined by vets, no one could be instantly certain about his physical and mental well-being.

"Any of the million or so punters who backed Synchronised would surely have wanted to cancel their bet.

"The industry must act to cut down this kind of avoidable risk."
Aintree managing director Julian Thick said that organisers will continue to look for ways of making the Grand National safer.

"We are desperately sad at these two accidents and our sympathies are with the connections of both horses," he said.

"When a horse gets hurt, everyone is deeply upset. Safety is the first priority for the organisers of the Grand National and we make every effort to ensure that everyone involved in the event is able to participate in safety.

"Horseracing is a sport that is very carefully regulated and monitored by the British Horseracing Authority, but risk can never be completely removed.

"All horses and riders in the Grand National have to meet very high standards set by an independent panel of experts.

"The Grand National is a professional and well-organised race. Only the best horses and the best jockeys are allowed to enter.

"Since last year's race we have made further significant chances to the course and there have been four races run over the course without serious incident since then.

"After today, we will, as always, be looking at all aspects of this year's race to see how we can improve safety further.

"We work closely with animal welfare organisations, such as the RSPCA and World Horse Welfare, to make sure we are up to date with the latest thinking and research regarding welfare and safety."

wingy

IS it just this race or all KD,how do you feel on eventing and other where there is significant risk to the rider,i think they are amazing creatures and have spent many hours watching my duaghter and others have immense pleasure learning to look after and the skills required to handle them .

Grendel

Nor should he. What you and others like you do is admirable, but it certainly doesn't make the sport barbaric. MAny are now looked after post racing and bad owners and trainers (like our own Mick Quinn) thankfully receive bans, but at a fear of repeating myself they would never be here in the first place were it not for racing!

But there is racing and there is the Grand National....and the Cheltenham Festival.

Grendel

IS it just this race or all KD,how do you feel on eventing and other where there is significant risk to the rider,i think they are amazing creatures and have spent many hours watching my duaghter and others have immense pleasure learning to look after and the skills required to handle them .

It is true that many horses enjoy competing and performing and as you say they bring immense pleasure to anyone who owns them. They all have different personalities and they are very special creatures. I have a particular issue with races like the national as this is an event purely there to make money. The course is far too long and the number of entrants is far too high. Also many of the horses are ill equipped to cope with a course of this intensity. It is cruel. Whatever anyone says if any sporting event involving humans has such a high death rate in would never, ever be allowed to take place. If a jockey died today we would probably endure a minutes silence on Tuesday. Horses in the national are commodities to fulfil human greed.
Racing can continue but events such as the national and the obscene Cheltenham Festival should not.

cornoccfc

Didn't see the race, but the thing about Synchronised does seem odd admittedly.

But don't buy into the emotional outcry which happens every year when a horse dies or is put down at the national and then is forgotten about by Monday.

Grendel

Didn't see the race, but the thing about Synchronised does seem odd admittedly.

But don't buy into the emotional outcry which happens every year when a horse dies or is put down at the national and then is forgotten about by Monday.

But if one player died every Cup Final would we forget by Monday?

Grendel

No because it's a person.

And that says it all. I would rather some scumbag race owner or jockey died than one of the horses they "love" so much.

You are beneath my contempt. Don't bother arguing with me again.

wingy

I think people on this horse thread are now just trying to stirrup trouble :whistle:
Naughty;) ,it is possible to respect anothers oppinnion whether in agreement or not ,KD while being of the minority stance certainly puts over a committed case for a laudible reason.

rob9872

And that says it all. I would rather some scumbag race owner or jockey died than one of the horses they "love" so much.

You are beneath my contempt. Don't bother arguing with me again.

Why owners and jockeys? They are mostly horse loving people. If you must be angry at a section of the community, whilst I might disagree you should at least direct it at those culpable which is more often than not the people you have ommitted - trainers.

Grendel

Naughty;) ,it is possible to respect anothers oppinnion whether in agreement or not ,KD while being of the minority stance certainly puts over a committed case for a laudible reason.

I knew that I would be in a minority of probably one but had to say what I say what I feel. My whole day has been ruined by the events (yet again) at Aintree.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Gents, I genuinely started this thread to add a little relief to our tense afternoon... to take our minds off our beloved sky blues if just for a fleeting moment, not to stir emotion of this nature, which it has clearly done, and I now regret the thread lead. I respect all views as expressed, I am an animal lover and like all do not at all rejoice in animal life loss. Equally I like a flutter and have been thrilled at many horse race meets, if not frustrated by the bookie leaving with my money! I think its a tough one to call and suspect that the arguments will rage on for ever. Is it reasonable to now close this thread and take our respective arguments to another forum on another day. I suspect that today's sad events at Aintree will lead to some form of reform for the Grand National. I hope so to prevent similar tragedy.

Grendel

Why owners and jockeys? They are mostly horse loving people. If you must be angry at a section of the community, whilst I might disagree you should at least direct it at those culpable which is more often than not the people you have ommitted - trainers.

It was a childish response to the comment I responded to.

Grendel

Gents, I genuinely started this thread to add a little relief to our tense afternoon... to take our minds off our beloved sky blues if just for a fleeting moment, not to stir emotion of this nature, which it has clearly done, and I now regret the thread lead. I respect all views as expressed, I am an animal lover and like all do not at all rejoice in animal life loss. Equally I like a flutter and have been thrilled at many horse race meets, if not frustrated by the bookie leaving with my money! I think its a tough one to call and suspect that the arguments will rage on for ever. Is it reasonable to now close this thread and take our respective arguments to another forum on another day. I suspect that today's sad events at Aintree will lead to some form of reform for the Grand National. I hope so to prevent similar tragedy.

Fair enough and I understand that the thread was innocuous so I apologise as to be honest it is me that hijacked it with my views. I deliberated long and hard before deciding to vent my frustration as I try and avoid discussing non CCFC issues and I knew I would be in a significant minority, but that has never bothered me in the past so why should it now. Sorry again.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Fair enough and I understand that the thread was innocuous so I apologise as to be honest it is me that hijacked it with my views. I deliberated long and hard before deciding to vent my frustration as I try and avoid discussing non CCFC issues and I knew I would be in a significant minority, but that has never bothered me in the past so why should it now. Sorry again.

No Problems. You got your views, take it easy.

ccfctommy

For all the people who want it banned, do you eat meat? Do you wear leather shoes?

Also you are forgetting a tiny thing, no one can make a horse race!. A racehorse can easily just refuse to go.

Grendel

For all the people who want it banned, do you eat meat? Do you wear leather shoes?

Also you are forgetting a tiny thing, no one can make a horse race!. A racehorse can easily just refuse to go.

No one can make a horse race? No I mean you stick 40 riderless horses in a field and they will all start attempting huge jumps won't they. Oh and I'll anticipate the next response which will be why do horses jump fences when the rider has fell off. This is because of fear. They are the ultimate herding animal and will adopt a safety in numbers approach. Still you are clearly the expert on equine physcology anyway so you will already know that.

I don't get the logic of the meat eating bit but did address this in an earlier post.

ccfctommy

Sorry I didnt read the whole thread.

Fact of the matter is if a horse does not want to go it wont, some wont even make it into the stalls (flat racing).

Users who are viewing this thread