Should the Met police be armed? (1 Viewer)

Macca

Police officer stabbed outside station

Not in favour for the rest of the UK but London for me is a completely different culture to the rest of the UK. Seems hugely outdated to have unarmed police facing the dangers of an increasingly hostile capital city

pastythegreat

Absolutely not! More needs to be done to prevent gun and knife crime. Arming everyone isn't the answer (see America as your example here). If police are armed, the people who currently carry knifes would feel like they needed to carry a gun to compensate.
It all comes from A) A lack of respect and B) A lack of any sort of police presence. When was the last time you saw an actual copper patrolling on foot around your area?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Otis

Absolutely not! More needs to be done to prevent gun and knife crime. Arming everyone isn't the answer (see America as your example here). If police are armed, the people who currently carry knifes would feel like they needed to carry a gun to compensate.
It all comes from A) A lack of respect and B) A lack of any sort of police presence. When was the last time you saw an actual copper patrolling on foot around your area?

But we see police with guns every day anyway.

Often see them at train stations and on the streets of London and the US thing is a bit of a moot point, because the general public over the there can just go into a store and arm themselves up to the eyeballs and over here they can't.

Macca

To be fair though criminal access to guns is not as easy as in the US. I think London is a special case

NorthernWisdom

Good God, I agree with you!

Otis

Am in London tomorrow (at least, I'm supposed to be).

Be interesting as to how many armed police I see.

Otis

And I think we can clearly conclude that this is that one solitary first and last time.

Otis

Where are you deporting British people too exactly?

Or are you insinuating that every perpetrator of every crime is foreign?

Macca

In London though particularly you do wonder what sort of deterrent the old fashioned British bobby is to a gang who grew up in Mogadishu. It ain't a village fete down there. Surely different tactics different areas. Liverpool similarly could probably do with a harsher approach with the ongoing gang problems there

Mind you I am enjoying the Mets new approach to moped gangs

Westendlad

Around 50% of the serious convictions posted on the Coventry Telegraph website are of people who are clearly of foreign origin.
Only 50%...Thought it would be higher......London for violent attacks/murders it would be 90% but the wet liberals/lefties would deny this and call folk racists......

Gazolba

Otis

According to a survey in 2017, 1 in 3 people in the States own guns.

Can you imagine that over here? Doesn't bear thinking about.

People would be shooting each other for pushing in at the bar or queue jumping at Sainsbury's.

dutchman

According to a survey in 2017, 1 in 3 people in the States own guns.

Can you imagine that over here? Doesn't bear thinking about.

People would be shooting each other for pushing in at the bar or queue jumping at Sainsbury's.
But to be fair, anyone who pushes-in at Sainsbury's deserves to be shot.

tommydazzle

Don't know if I've misremembered this but didn't it used to be an automatic death penalty for killing a police officer back in the day. It was said that it made criminal gangs think twice about going armed with guns to robberies - the heat of the moment killing of a copper would get them all hung if ever caught.

Otis

I'm totally against the death penalty, so that's a no from me.

Innocent people are convicted of crimes and innocent people would be hanged. No doubt about it. One innocent person hanged is one too many.

tommydazzle

I agree with that but of course, there are horrific murders where this is no doubt whatsoever, for example, Lee Rigby. I have changed my mind over the years on this issue and have a friend who had her young and only son murdered and have seen how it has destroyed them. As she has said to me, it took away her son and everything he would have become. This has always stuck with me and where there is absolutely no doubt and when the crime is so horrific, I think a humane killing is justified. Just check out those guys in South Africa who killed that young girl by caving in her head with a rock after raping her, and laughing in court in the direction of the parents.

Otis

I agree with that but of course, there are horrific murders where this is no doubt whatsoever, for example, Lee Rigby. I have changed my mind over the years on this issue and have a friend who had her young and only son murdered and have seen how it has destroyed them. As she has said to me, it took away her son and everything he would have become. This has always stuck with me and where there is absolutely no doubt and when the crime is so horrific, I think a humane killing is justified. Just check out those guys in South Africa who killed that young girl by caving in her head with a rock after raping her, and laughing in court in the direction of the parents.
Don't the types of people who kill the likes of Lee Rugby want to die though and ascend to paradise and have full use of a shit load of virgins?

tommydazzle

Don't the types of people who kill the likes of Lee Rugby want to die though and ascend to paradise and have full use of a shit load of virgins?
Yes true, but at least it saves taxpayers money and of course he was just an example, there are other killers without religious motives where there is no doubt and no remorse.

pastythegreat

Yes, but let them die and realise it was all a lie.
Also, why should I work to pay tax to keep people like that fed, watered and clothed?

rob9872

Death penalty imo for acts of terror, multiple murderers and child killers.

Otis

Is your only objection mistaken conviction?
Good question.

That is the main reason, for sure, but I do think humanity has to be bigger and better than that. It's a question been debated through the ages.

Just think in the 21st century we shouldn't still be killing each other as punishment.

I AM all for hard labour though. Prison should be tough and prisoners should be made to work.

Users who are viewing this thread