Should Mcsheffrey be given a chance up front? (1 Viewer)

OyJimmy

Top scorer for us last season and hes not happy on the left.... Clinical finisher and has pace over short distances. Cant seemingly do it on the left anymore and has said repeatedly he will play on the left but sees himself as a striker. Why don't managers at Cov let him have his chance? Is it because we don't have anyone as good/ bad as him on the left?

CJparker

I'd like to see it happen as it appears a logical move - he did well up front with Nimeley last season

stupot07

I'd like to see it happen as it appears a logical move - he did well up front with Nimeley last season

He didn't play up from with Nimely! He played up top with Juke vs Bristol at home, Brighton at home and west ham away

pusbccfc

No idea rather a youngster plays, totally lost all confidence, scared to attack. Plus he's too small to play upfront in this league... He's even smaller than Elliott!

RichieGunns

I would like to see him up front too.

Who would he partner though?

I think 4-3-3 would be a good formation for us:

Murphy

Christie - Wood - Edj - Hussey

Barton - Jennings - Fleck

Elliot - Cody - Macca

Obviously that's my opinion. Kilbane can be used as a substitute for LB or CM and can start when players need a rest.

Obviously if you think of a better idea please do mention it :D

ccfc92

I would like to see him up front too.

Who would he partner though?

I think 4-3-3 would be a good formation for us:

Murphy

Christie - Wood - Edj - Hussey

Barton - Jennings - Fleck

Elliot - Cody - Macca

Obviously that's my opinion. Kilbane can be used as a substitute for LB or CM and can start when players need a rest.

Obviously if you think of a better idea please do mention it :D

No, thats a good quote :thinking about: no harm in trying, the diamond and 442 aint doing nout :thinking about:

RichieGunns

No, thats a good quote :thinking about: no harm in trying, the diamond and 442 aint doing nout :thinking about:

I'd really like to see Fleck in the middle but I don't think he's commanding enough. When fit Jennings has the commanding presence this team needs.

Fleck has the speed and creativity that Macca lacks. He's also proved he can cross effectively (first game vs Yeovil).

Barton on the right has the steam roller effect and can make cutting runs at the defence. As for his crossing ability I'm not sure.

This formation is more attacking by definition and takes the pressure off Hussey and Christie. They don't have to run their socks off trying to cover their respective flanks because there are two other players on either side ahead of them that should be making sure the middle and final 3rd is covered.

Last edited:
Top scorer for us last season and hes not happy on the left.... Clinical finisher and has pace over short distances. Cant seemingly do it on the left anymore and has said repeatedly he will play on the left but sees himself as a striker. Why don't managers at Cov let him have his chance? Is it because we don't have anyone as good/ bad as him on the left?

I have mentioned this on numerous posts he prefers playing up front and always has - having to track back and tackle (badly) as a wide mid hence number of yellow cards and nullifies his presence in the box.

He can still do a shift up front - height should not matter - he is a natural predator at this level and has averaged the equivalent of 12 league goals per 46 game season for CCFC in his two stints with us.

So yes having tried numerous permutations give him half a dozen games up front and see what happens

PUSB

AFCCOVENTRY

His attitude isn't good enough. Thorn has started him and either did Shaw until last nights reserve game.

Says it all...

Black6Osprey

In his first spell with us he always did well up top and was our top scorer for 3 seasons in a row before he went to the Premier. He's always been a striker but for whatever reason no one plays him there these days and prefer to play him out of position. Games like yesterday would be the ideal opportunity to try these things but as we've signed quite a few forwards now he'll never get a chance.

sky_blue_up_north

His best time at club was when he played out wide in a Terry Henry type role never an out and out strikers role

Black6Osprey

His best time at club was when he played out wide in a Terry Henry type role never an out and out strikers role

Yes but he was still playing up front. The fact he drifted out wide making him harder to mark was just how he played. 17 goals in his last season with us before he went to Brum. I don't think that level of player is still in him to be honest, one too many injury. But like Michael Owen even when you've lost the pace I still believe there is still a goal scorer in there.

stupot07

Yes but he was still playing up front. The fact he drifted out wide making him harder to mark was just how he played. 17 goals in his last season with us before he went to Brum. I don't think that level of player is still in him to be honest, one too many injury. But like Michael Owen even when you've lost the pace I still believe there is still a goal scorer in there.

No Adams played him wide left and scowcroft wide right, with dele and stern John upfront, he was top scorer and got his £4m move and Bruce continued to play him wide left (Bendtner and Jerome played up front) where he was top scorer and top assist maker In their promotion season.

Eric Black as the last manager to play Sheffers up front That was the 2003/04 season.

Evans020

If wilder does get the job he will play 4-3-3.
Mcsheffrey------cody--------Elliot.
By god that will surely get goals SURELY

thechase

After his complete waste of a chance in the final minute against Burton when it was easier to pass id question him being in the team let alone up front. Ive not seen him play well for over a season and feels he adds nothing to the side at all.

Black6Osprey

No Adams played him wide left and scowcroft wide right, with dele and stern John upfront, he was top scorer and got his £4m move and Bruce continued to play him wide left (Bendtner and Jerome played up front) where he was top scorer and top assist maker In their promotion season.

Eric Black as the last manager to play Sheffers up front That was the 2003/04 season.

yes you are correct but I remember Sheff still playing various games under Adams up top along with Morrell and even when he played wide left he always drifted inside to form a third striker.

Grendel

How many managers has mcsheffrey had? Many and many have been reasonable ability. Black has played him for a while as striker but few others have. Most of his goals are of the spectacular variety not poacher type finishes.

He lacks pace to get into position and it appears desire also is lacking.

The way he is heading his career is on the line. He needs to wake up and fast.

Users who are viewing this thread