Should Doyler be rested against Pompey on Tuesday? (1 Viewer)

Pete in Portugal

I've no doubt he will want to play against his former club, but, after a couple of sub-par performances by his standard, does he need a rest? And if so, who should take his place?

Irish Sky Blue

I think Doyle is still playing well. A mis placed pass lead to the goal, one or two free kicks went astray but overall I thought he was good.

pusbccfc

No.

stevefloyd

We miss a lot of what Doyle does, he demands things from our players, gees them up, sure he is not perfect he never was but he gives you 100% every game so a yes from me ...play

no_loyalty

He needs to play, when he doesn't play we miss that bite in the midfield

Grendel

According to Robins he picks himself. I can’t see how anyone can say we are ineffective without him as we never are.

He can’t keep playing 90 minutes and his insistence is taking set pieces is a joke. Distribution has always been pretty woeful.

higgs

According to Robins he picks himself. I can’t see how anyone can say we are ineffective without him as we never are.

He can’t keep playing 90 minutes and his insistence is taking set pieces is a joke. Distribution has always been pretty woeful.
Jones went on the frees and corners when he came on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Jones went on the frees and corners when he came on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He refused to let Shipley take any. His delivery is embarrassing and if he’s a true leader he should walk away from the lot

block16

Hopefully Ogogo will turn out to be that replacement as it’s needed sooner or later. Still love Doyle but he’s 37 and not a particularly great anymore for this level

Mucca Mad Boys

Personally, I thought Doyle was up there for MOTM before JCH scores and Burge made a class save. He offered a more direct threat when the game needed it. After Sunderland had some decent chances Doyle got two chances in the box. None were clear cut chances but it was important for momentum. He’s also like a coach on the pitch and without another clear leader in our matchday squad, his importance is emphasised.

Bayliss also seems to play better alongside Doyle too, last season Kelly and Bayliss struggled to form a partnership. Ogogo and Bayliss, by all accounts, struggled together v Oxford.

I do think Bayliss and Jones will end up out wide on a 4-4-2 as the season wears on and Kelly and Doyle potentially reigniting their partnership.

Doyle might be 37, but he’s a consummate professional, keeps himself in shape that someone on the right side of 30 does. He’s played 40+ games every season since he left us in 2011.

Cattermole may have ‘outplayed’ him, but there’s no shame in that, a player far younger, ex-England youth international who has played in the premiership most of his career. The difference wasn’t that much all things considered.

johnwillomagic

Whatever you think of Cattermole personally he is a top midfielder at what he does and has played mostly at premiership level and is on a shedload.
If he shaded Doyle there is no shame in that imo.

Bit puzzled by Doyle comments really I have not seen much of a change in influence or effectiveness from last season at all.
Yet many sang his praises last season as if he controlled midfield like Modric..he didn't

speedie87

I think saying Doyle hasn’t got the legs anymore is just an lazy way of saying you don’t want him in the team

He was probably my least fav player by the end of his first spell his first spell. But couldn’t knock him last season and he s been still one of most important players this season, I know he’s hardly missed a game since he’s come back but I reckon we have prob lost all of those he had. He gets an extra 5-10% of of all the other players and extra 20% out the ref!

He’s certainly better than Ogogo.

eastwoodsdustman

Of course he should play he'sour best midfielder. I have a feeling that he and Kelly will be in the middle with Bayliss out wide as he was last season. When Bayliss is in the middle Doyle has a lot more defensive work to do and it showed again yesterday.

Adge

Na, keep him in even if just for his leadership qualities. How many times has he dragged us over the line when we were under the cosh towards the end of the game?

Legia Sky Blue

He’s always fit

Apart from last season when we had our poorest period of the season! He isn't as quick as he used to be but stamina isn't an issue for him, and given that a number of our younger players look to him for leadership, I believe our team as a whole is much weaker without him. It seems that some on here are very quick to pick up on errors for which other players would be quickly forgiven, and I wonder how much of the criticism is an unconscious throwback to his previous spell with us. Kelly and Ogogo have yet to show those same inspirational qualities anyhow so I just don't see him being dropped/ rested anytime soon, unless he does get injured.

johnwillomagic

I think he has to play - he is not much or less effective than last season on showings to date and has been still very influencial with his leadership!
Some people slating him now were singing his praises last season I've not noticed much difference performance wise?
Think some of the praise last season was a bit OTT as now is the criticism!

Until others step up in my opinion he has to play - especially if we play fly weight Bayliss centre of park - which I'm still not entirely convinced
about especially if just in a central midfield 2.

Esoterica

I think he's an absolute liability football wise. Passing is generally atrocious, panics if the ball is passed to him and he isn't in 20 yards of space. If he does get forward he can't get back quickly enough and if he doesn't get forward we are light in the middle when we attack. That said while we have no other leadership in the team and he is adding +1 rating to all the youngster's player ratings through his guidance/organisation then Robins will have no choice but to keep picking him despite his personal 5 out of 10 performances.
The question for me is would we score enough additional goals with a more dynamic central midfielder to offset the increase in goals conceded through naivity/disorganisation without him there. I doubt we'll find out any time soon.

NorthernWisdom

I think he's an absolute liability football wise. Passing is generally atrocious, panics if the ball is passed to him and he isn't in 20 yards of space. If he does get forward he can't get back quickly enough and if he doesn't get forward we are light in the middle when we attack. That said while we have no other leadership in the team and he is adding +1 rating to all the youngster's player ratings through his guidance/organisation then Robins will have no choice but to keep picking him despite his personal 5 out of 10 performances.
The question for me is would we score enough additional goals with a more dynamic central midfielder to offset the increase in goals conceded through naivity/disorganisation without him there. I doubt we'll find out any time soon.
We've lacked strong characters for years to drive the others on and still do really, so Doyle's needed. Not quite so critical of him as a player as you are (we are where we are) but yep, he's moving into his dotage for sure.

Obviously Ogogo's the long term replacement, and he's also been captain of Shrewsbury, so hopefully he can step into that role both on the playing field and as personality to a certain extent.

Grendel

We've lacked strong characters for years to drive the others on and still do really, so Doyle's needed. Not quite so critical of him as a player as you are (we are where we are) but yep, he's moving into his dotage for sure.

Obviously Ogogo's the long term replacement, and he's also been captain of Shrewsbury, so hopefully he can step into that role both on the playing field and as personality to a certain extent.

He is one paced and his distribution is terrible. It’s not that young a team when you look at it in terms of game time. Captains in football are over stated for influence

sw88

Chief Commentator!
After his long ball attempt which led to Sunderland’s goal, he should be dropped. If either keeper did that it would have been more a talking point ;)

And his set pieces have been woeful yet he persisted in taking them! I imagine if someone else had taken so many poor set pieces he’d have been the first player chuntering down their ear!

Covstu

If he’s fully fit he needs to play. Another game where the centre of the park will decide this game and doyler is key.

Warwickhunt

We need his leadership on the field, watched him Saturday against Sunderland he was in Shipley’s ear every time he pulled out of a challenge. He keeps player going when it starts to get tough.

Grendel

We need his leadership on the field, watched him Saturday against Sunderland he was in Shipley’s ear every time he pulled out of a challenge. He keeps player going when it starts to get tough.

Leadership is a myth

Users who are viewing this thread