Shared from BBC Sport (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

FA Cup replays could be scrapped in order to trim fixture list - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35587212

THIS cannot be allowed to happen! Fans need to rally round & sort these tossers out, surely? I don't believe it has anything to do with tired international players...most teams have a big mix of English and foreign players anyway. Rarely hear foreign players/international coaches saying they're too tired for tournaments...just our own!

All that this idea really does is starve the smaller clubs of a much needed chance for a bumper payday. The big clubs that almost predictably get into Europe each year stand more chance in those competitions (& get MORE money!)...& our already tarnished FACUP increasingly becomes a non-event.

The FA should be standing up to the Premiership not accommodating them so readily. MOST clubs don't suffer this 'fixture overload'...only the moaning moneybags clubs.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Covstu

Prem league more important and money talks. Everything which is wrong with English football

Sick Boy

I agree...tradition is disappearing more and more due to the need to keep television companies happy.

The gap between the top of the Championship and the top of league 1 is frightening.

SkyblueBazza

I agree...tradition is disappearing more and more due to the need to keep television companies happy.

The gap between the top of the Championship and the top of league 1 is frightening.
The gap between the bottom of the Premiership & top of the Championship is a daunting one to cross too!

ccfctommy

I remember I suggested this a few years ago but in a World Cup year. Try a straight knockout tournament, and to suspend the League Cup too. My reasoning was this will help the England players with fixture congestion.

Not sure how I feel about it now, but with Champions and Europa League, our players play way too much football and are jaded come June.

Otis

That's the obvious solution. Scrap the league cup and just have the one cup competition.

I know replays are a pain, but the reward for a little club can be massive

Sick Boy

I remember I suggested this a few years ago but in a World Cup year. Try a straight knockout tournament, and to suspend the League Cup too. My reasoning was this will help the England players with fixture congestion.

Not sure how I feel about it now, but with Champions and Europa League, our players play way too much football and are jaded come June.

So what not scale back the CL and EL rather than detracting from the domestic game?

SkyblueBazza

What about these top platers from foreign climes though? Wouldn't they play better as a result too? Given that the Premiership apparently attracts most of the best players...we would be back to square 1.

FIFA & UEFA need a slapping down on matters. They have systematically dictated that more & more European matches at club level and internationally (for qualifications as well as tournaments) take place in their competitions...& the club's/FAs involved lap it up as it's more money in the coffers...as well as the TV companies.

Oh & bugger the fan's of course! The real fans just get priced out of the market unless they are loaded.

SkyblueBazza

That's the obvious solution. Scrap the league cup and just have the one cup competition.

I know replays are a pain, but the reward for a little club can be massive
But there's is no need to scrap it. The big clubs use it to blood new young talent. So it doesn't impact until the latter rounds when the sniff of the big paydays enter in anyway.

Maybe a better format might be some kind of individual league knockout competition then the 4 winners of that are pitted against each other in similar to play - off fashion before a grand finale.

CCFC88

The gap between the bottom of the Premiership & top of the Championship is a daunting one to cross too!

Is it really though? Leicester won the Championship less than 2 years ago and now they are top of the Premier League with 12 games to go.

Not one of the promoted Championship teams is currently in the bottom 3.

CCFC88

So it should be, the top of the Championship is a place for teams who have genuine ambition to get into and stabilise in the top tier of English football, for teams at the top of League 1 that is a pipedream.

lifeskyblue

My worry is that with the money in the premier league and with the parachute payments the top of the championship will be those relegated the season before. In future I see the premier league being in effect 23 teams...the bottom 6 of whom spend every other year getting promotion from the championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveecov

More worrying is that 14 teams in Prem league are now foreign owned taking it above 66%.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, if they tried to close shop even more by voting to have just one team promoted and relegated; maybe even reducing to 18 as well. The money men could make it impossible for teams like us to ever reach the promised land.

Just putting it out there and hoping not being too cynical.

lifeskyblue

More worrying is that 14 teams in Prem league are now foreign owned taking it above 66%.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, if they tried to close shop even more by voting to have just one team promoted and relegated; maybe even reducing to 18 as well. The money men could make it impossible for teams like us to ever reach the promised land.

Just putting it out there and hoping not being too cynical.

I don't think you are being too cynical. I think it is an option that the money men are already considering. I just hope fans of all clubs (big and small) see it for what it is. Personally I think it would be the death of the England team as lower leagues would wither and die...where then would arma and the rest get a good grounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread