Transfer Rumour Shankland (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Absolutely no chance. The Scottish Prem outside the top 2 is league 1 & 2 standard. Scottish Championship is non league.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Outside of 1 or 2 clubs i should add. Which would go into league 2 with the lower Scottish Prem teams.

Brighton Sky Blue

Absolutely no chance. The Scottish Prem outside the top 2 is league 1 & 2 standard. Scottish Championship is non league.

I
Outside of 1 or 2 clubs i should add. Which would go into league 2 with the lower Scottish Prem teams.

I agree the standard is poor but I don’t quite buy the idea that bottom half SPL teams are worse than the likes of Southend, Bolton etc in the season just gone. Though I’ve seen enough L2 and Scots Championship football for my sins to see they’re broadly similar.

Otherwise Rose would have been hopelessly out of his depth for us.

TomRad85

I

I agree the standard is poor but I don’t quite buy the idea that bottom half SPL teams are worse than the likes of Southend, Bolton etc in the season just gone. Though I’ve seen enough L2 and Scots Championship football for my sins to see they’re broadly similar.

Otherwise Rose would have been hopelessly out of his depth for us.
I would say Boltons playing squad is better than that of Hamilton, as an example. As for Rose, he was a standout player at that level.

I agree that when you watch a certain standard and you get to a certain level of shitness, it can be hard to tell the difference between the shitness but, as much as i hate using one player as an example, do you think Dobbie would score at that rate in league 2? Tbh I'm not even sure he'd score at that rate in the conference.

Brighton Sky Blue

I would say Boltons playing squad is better than that of Hamilton, as an example. As for Rose, he was a standout player at that level.

I agree that when you watch a certain standard and you get to a certain level of shitness, it can be hard to tell the difference between the shitness but, as much as i hate using one player as an example, do you think Dobbie would score at that rate in league 2? Tbh I'm not even sure he'd score at that rate in the conference.

Dobbie had something of an Indian summer last season. Shankland I’m pretty sure would have scored at the same rate in L2 and when we were looking for a McNulty replacement he would have fit the bill as a very similar type of player which is why I assume we scouted him.

Think about some of CCFC’s more mediocre League 1 teams down the years and I don’t think there is much to pick between them and the top 5 in the Scots Championship. Then there’s the interesting question of where our L1 winning team would have finished in the SPL.

TomRad85

Dobbie had something of an Indian summer last season. Shankland I’m pretty sure would have scored at the same rate in L2 and when we were looking for a McNulty replacement he would have fit the bill as a very similar type of player which is why I assume we scouted him.

Think about some of CCFC’s more mediocre League 1 teams down the years and I don’t think there is much to pick between them and the top 5 in the Scots Championship. Then there’s the interesting question of where our L1 winning team would have finished in the SPL.
Fair play, and I don't disagree on Shankland btw, I'm sure he could do it in league 2.

All about opinions and as I say I think when you watch mediocre league 1, league 2, Scottish Championship, top of conference, it can actually be hard to tell the difference. While you see top 5 slotting into mediocre league 1, i think the majority of Notts County players (just using them as an example of a top conference team) would get into the majority of Scottish Championship teams sides.

Any idea how the average wage stacks up against English league 2/conference?

As for out title winners... 3rd. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. No way of proving it though of course.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Fair play, and I don't disagree on Shankland btw, I'm sure he could do it in league 2.

All about opinions and as I say I think when you watch mediocre league 1, league 2, Scottish Championship, top of conference, it can actually be hard to tell the difference. While you see top 5 slotting into mediocre league 1, i think the majority of Notts County players (just using them as an example of a top conference team) would get into the majority of Scottish Championship teams sides.

Any idea how the average wage stacks up against English league 2/conference?

As for out title winners... 3rd. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. No way of providing it though of course.

I agree it’s a question of perspective. When I retrained as a ref in Scotland the instructors jokingly compared CCFC v Crewe to a pub game and then needed a bit of reminding that Louis Moult was ripping up the SPL having signed from the Conference. I guess my point is that it’s poor in the top 2 levels but not quite as horrendous as some think. When you dip into Scottish L1 and L2 though it falls off a cliff as most of the teams aren’t even full time.

I agree with you on the 3rd place as it goes, at least top 4.

TomRad85

I agree it’s a question of perspective. When I retrained as a ref in Scotland the instructors jokingly compared CCFC v Crewe to a pub game and then needed a bit of reminding that Louis Moult was ripping up the SPL having signed from the Conference. I guess my point is that it’s poor in the top 2 levels but not quite as horrendous as some think. When you dip into Scottish L1 and L2 though it falls off a cliff as most of the teams aren’t even full time.

I agree with you on the 3rd place as it goes, at least top 4.
We've hijacked the post to talk about Scottish football, but let's face it, Shankland isn't even linked is he so its fine.

Everyone talks about where the top 2 would finish were they in the English leagues with English money. I'd be interested to see where you think everyone would end up if the whole of Scottish football was bled into our game and had access to the money in our game?

For me, Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs would be top end league one and have Championship potential. Rest of Scots prem leagues 1 and 2. In this case as it happens I think most of the Scottish Championship would be league 2, with the bottom 2 or 3 non league. Scots league 1 and 2, as you say, not even worth mentioning.

SlowerThanPlatt

He was wanted by both Celtic and Rangers in Jan I remember reading as he got called up to the Scottish national team around that time too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and they’re both in the market for strikers at the moment I think?

If a player scores 20 in our League 1 and is around the same age as Shankland then he wouldn’t last more than a season so I’m curious as to why he’s not had a big move yet

Winny the Bish

I don't think Shankland really fits our style. From what I've seen, he's a poacher and not much else. Great finisher, but does he run the channels, hold the ball up, hassle defenders and do everything Robins wants from the striker in our system? I'm not sure.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Oh ffs

“Transfer rumour Leon Clarke” Incoming 🤦🏻‍♂️
I wouldnt mond it he was doing business in the Champo for Sheffield utd
Yeah he didnt set the world alight but they saw something to take him to the prem and if he was younger then they probably would have kept him

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think Shankland really fits our style. From what I've seen, he's a poacher and not much else. Great finisher, but does he run the channels, hold the ball up, hassle defenders and do everything Robins wants from the striker in our system? I'm not sure.

This is the problem with the one up front system. If you need the striker to do all that who's actually scoring the goals? Maybe we need to think about using the ACM's to do that a bit more to allow a striker to actually concentrate on scoring goals.

IF it were to happen that would be Ponti on the way out as that's his main attribute. Might be used as a makeweight in a cash + player deal?

RingoCCFC

I do agree I can’t see where he’d fit in with his style now and that’s the Scottish Championship is subpar to the standard we’re at now but I’d never knock a player without seeing them try it! Jodi played for Dagenham as a prime example and now I feel the lad could easily have been pinnacle last season and could make it in the championship as a prime example.

All of a sudden though theres been like 3-4 strikers mentioned like Jackson from Ipswich... can’t see how that one would work if Dundee are after Norwood, if I was Norwood I’d perhaps stick it in league one though! But if that happened then this Shankland one has a higher chance of being true to a ‘championship team’ albeit maybe not ours.

Then this German striker linked, he seems quite promising and at a similar level yet I’d say Shankland looks like a better prospect.

Rumours though have a tendency to shock, especially last minute unpredicted transfer moves so I’d not knock him off considering we’ve been eyeing him for a while.

Shankland comes to shankland capital though does have a good ring to it!

clint van damme

I do agree I can’t see where he’d fit in with his style now and that’s the Scottish Championship is subpar to the standard we’re at now but I’d never knock a player without seeing them try it! Jodi played for Dagenham as a prime example and now I feel the lad could easily have been pinnacle last season and could make it in the championship as a prime example.

All of a sudden though theres been like 3-4 strikers mentioned like Jackson from Ipswich... can’t see how that one would work if Dundee are after Norwood, if I was Norwood I’d perhaps stick it in league one though! But if that happened then this Shankland one has a higher chance of being true to a ‘championship team’ albeit maybe not ours.

Then this German striker linked, he seems quite promising and at a similar level yet I’d say Shankland looks like a better prospect.

Rumours though have a tendency to shock, especially last minute unpredicted transfer moves so I’d not knock him off considering we’ve been eyeing him for a while.

Shankland comes to shankland capital though does have a good ring to it!

Andrew Robertson started in the Scottish Championship as did Rose so why the Scottish Championship may be below the standard we are now that doesn't mean there aren't some bargains to be had.

Signing for a Championship club this week apparently and I'll be happy if it's us. No way we're signing a proven Championship striker so it's either a Premiership loan or a punt on a lower league player. And this way if it works out we benefit from the increase in the players value.

RingoCCFC

Andrew Robertson started in the Scottish Championship as did Rose so why the Scottish Championship may be below the standard we are now that doesn't mean there aren't some bargains to be had.

Signing for a Championship club this week apparently and I'll be happy if it's us. No way we're signing a proven Championship striker so it's either a Premiership loan or a punt on a lower league player. And this way if it works out we benefit from the increase in the players value.

I agree completely we don’t have the financial reach and I’d not knock any of these players to be quite honest apart from Jackson, would rather have JCH back after his turn around if we had to settle on that guy! But just shows you how you can’t judge players solely based on their performances at previous teams.

That’s why I’m not a scout haha! But with the mentioning of clubs with more financial stability interested I’d be shocked if we did get him and would happily take him. But the mentioned clubs haven’t really spent any money if at all yet in the market either which makes me doubt it’ll be us! (But I’ve been shocked once before so I won’t write it off yet)

superskyblue

Based on watching some of Shankland's goals on YouTube I would take him. Seems like a good finisher, particularly with his head. Would be good competition with Godden.

Though I doubt we're the club after him somehow.

TomRad85

I think the standard hes playing at is actually part of the appeal, as you have absolutely no idea what you're getting. You could pull in a player who's performed averagely at this level before and you know exactly what you're getting.
Now Shankland could turn out exactly the same as said player, could even possibly be worse. But what if he takes to it like a duck to water... suddenly Coventry City have a 20 goal a season Championship striker that they can resell for £15 million.

RingoCCFC

I think the standard hes playing at is actually part of the appeal, as you have absolutely no idea what you're getting. You could pull in a player who's performed averagely at this level before and you know exactly what you're getting.
Now Shankland could turn out exactly the same as said player, could even possibly be worse. But what if he takes to it like a duck to water... suddenly Coventry City have a 20 goal a season Championship striker that they can resell for £15 million.

He doesn’t even have to be proven to sell in this market you just need to brand the lad as the real deal! Connor Chaplins a good example of that, 200% worth the punt dependant on how much they’re after!

The transfer window is bazar! You’ve got Bellingham going for the price of Bournemouth’s King and our hometown boy Wilson combined! Then rumours that Ivan Toney’s transfer is going to be millions considering they turned down 5-6 mil from Celtic and they’re no longer interested... If I was them I’d be buying one of the two mentioned above!

Everyone’s right though that proven strikers in decent leagues we can’t afford, we’ve got to pick talent from below the standard we’re at now.

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed, highly doubt it’s us that’s after him though but would be interesting seeing a thought experiment in action. He did once have trials at Swansea I think

TomRad85

He doesn’t even have to be proven to sell in this market you just need to brand the lad as the real deal! Connor Chaplins a good example of that, 200% worth the punt dependant on how much they’re after!

The transfer window is bazar! You’ve got Bellingham going for the price of Bournemouth’s King and our hometown boy Wilson combined! Then rumours that Ivan Toney’s transfer is going to be millions considering they turned down 5-6 mil from Celtic and they’re no longer interested... If I was them I’d be buying one of the two mentioned above!

Everyone’s right though that proven strikers in decent leagues we can’t afford, we’ve got to pick talent from below the standard we’re at now.
Bellingham was bought for his potential, which is exactly what it is with Shankland, although he is 24 so to a much lesser extent.

Posh always try it on with their players and fair play to them, I don't think they'll get what they are rumoured to be asking though.

Wilson or King wouldn't move into Scottish football at this stage of their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread