Secret nuclear bunker (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

Has anybody been to the former secret nuclear bunker at Klevedon Hatch?

I went yesterday and it was excellent but does show how well thought of we are as it was for government officials only and not built to keep the Russians out but the peasants like us and held 600 people

I spent about two hours there for £7.50

Philosorapter

Is that the regional seat of Government or another?

Philosorapter

I'm going to have to check it out. This Cold War stuff is always excellent to read about if you want some chills to run down your spine.

News is always given out to the public about the Cold War in a measured way.

LIke Coventry was one of the sure fire place to receive a few nuclear bombs in a full exchange.

I'll have to find the links.

Last edited:

BackRoomRummermill

There is a massive one in Fife near Glenrothes if you get the chance to visit , if you want to see on for free their is a royal observer corps bunker in Woolston on the junction with the Fosse Way on the hill and if you stand there on that hill you can see a great view of Coventry .

Their are plenty of active bunkers around , when i was in the Military I went down the hole at Northwood a few times.

Otis

Has anybody been to the former secret nuclear bunker at Klevedon Hatch?

I went yesterday and it was excellent but does show how well thought of we are as it was for government officials only and not built to keep the Russians out but the peasants like us and held 600 people

I spent about two hours there for £7.50
Two hours? Not sure that's quite enough to have survived the fallout, TGP.

You needed to have given it at least 6 months or so.

Terry Gibson's perm

Two hours? Not sure that's quite enough to have survived the fallout, TGP.

You needed to have given it at least 6 months or so.

Three weeks should have been enough they didn’t have enough food for six months.

It made me think of the tower in revolution it was the same sort of thing just not as futuristic

Otis

What would be left to come out for and who would be left to govern?
Well, King TGP obviously and he could live on badly charred tree bark for a day or two.

King for a day, followed by excruciatingly painful death.

We'd all take that wouldn't we?

Otis

I worded that badly.

I meant "Who would be left to be governed?" (by all those government types previously sheltering in the bunkers)​
If everyone in a bunker is a leader, or general or politician, as soon as they come out they will start squabbling, build another nuclear weapon and kill each other all over again.

Terry Gibson's perm

What would be left to come out for and who would be left to govern?

They felt a lot would survive outside of the 30 mile zone but I guess that only works if they drop one my thought would be multiple bombs would be dropped.

Terry Gibson's perm

If everyone in a bunker is a leader, or general or politician, as soon as they come out they will start squabbling, build another nuclear weapon and kill each other all over again.

They would have had a few servants in there I guess, they would be squabbling inside before they got out and they spoke about the fine line between leadership and dictatorship.

You have a listening thing that looks l8ke a phone and when you get to certain areas it says on the wall which number to press.

BackRoomRummermill

They felt a lot would survive outside of the 30 mile zone but I guess that only works if they drop one my thought would be multiple bombs would be dropped.

That’s correct as at best Missile tech reliability is at best 70% so 3 at leat 3 out of 10 fired will not work and it’s more likely to be 5 from 10 , even as it stands today

SkyblueBazza

Given that we are a fairly small island, strategically bomed...it is difficult to imagine more than a few thousands would actually be 30miles outside of a death-zone

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stupot07

I'm going to have to check it out. This Cold War stuff is always excellent to read about if you want some chills to run down your spine.

News is always given out to the public about the Cold War in a measured way.

LIke Coventry was one of the sure fire place to receive a few nuclear bombs in a full exchange.

I'll have to find the links.
Any book recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Philosorapter

Any book recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There's a few stuff freely available online to look at.

Here's the list of probable targets that the Govt believed would be hit (including Coventry).

UK government's secret list of 'probable nuclear targets' in 1970s released

What I am particularly interested in is the game theory of rebuilding Britain after a nuclear war.

The Panorama episode and the BBC drama 'Threads' are obviously linked together and was following a war game at the time. Information below

The nuclear attack on the UK that never happened

The interesting thing in all this is that the Government considered putting psychopaths in control of the major decision making processes because the Govt thought they would be more suitable to cope with making the extreme decisions which would need to be made.

Oh, and the summary executions needed to keep order etc.

This is an excellent read and should be useful to point to any sources material you want to look at from the National Archive.

New Page 1

Philosorapter

This is also an interesting hour from the BBC about the build up to nuclear war.

Last edited:

dutchman

The interesting thing in all this is that the Government considered putting psychopaths in control of the major decision making processes because the Govt thought they would be more suitable to cope with making the extreme decisions which would need to be made.

Oh, and the summary executions needed to keep order etc.

I read at the time - I *think* it was in the Daily Telegraph - it was planned to issue all doctors with a .38 revolver so they could put those dying of radiation poisoning out of their misery.

One doctor replied that he would refuse to implement such a policy to which he was told that he wouldn't necessarily be given a choice in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread