Search for a new manager goes up a gear (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Development Director Steve Waggott working through dozens of applications for vacant manager's position

Coventry City development director Steve Waggott has this week stepped up the search to find the club’s new manager.

Waggott – the man who targeted and attracted Mark Robins when the process was undertaken five months ago – has received more than 40 applications for the post vacated by Robins, who left the club for Huddersfield just over a week ago.

But Waggott’s life has been made easier by the fact that development squad manager Lee Carsley, goalkeeping coach Steve Ogrizovic and other backroom staff have stepped in and have guided the team to two 2-0 wins.

“We went through a very rigorous process last time and that’s what led us to Mark,” he said. “We will do it the right way again but we know that we have to get the balance right because we all want a successful end to this season.

“Fortunately, we’ve had a fantastic response from Lee Carsley and the other coaching staff who have got on with job professionally and the players have nothing but respect for them.

“My message to Lee has been to tell me whatever he needs in terms of resources and I will give him everything I can.”

Waggott has started the process of drawing up a shortlist this week after assessing the CVs that have come in.

And he said there have been new names added into the mix because of the changing nature of football management.

He said: “We had some extremely strong candidates last time round and I have gone through my notes on them but there has also been new interest.

“When you look at what has happened over the past five or six months at other clubs, managers are becoming available much more frequently.

“Everybody who wants to apply has to send in a CV to show they are serious and we have had some very, very strong ones again. This is a prestigious job in football.

“We have to benchmark those CVs, look at their records and then we speak to the stand-out four or five applicants who meet our first team manager credentials. I started that process this week.”

ajsccfc

It ended on a sour note but they definitely made a good choice last time out so hopefully lightning strikes twice.

CJparker

Great...so "by goes up a gear" they mean "we have started to look at CVs" - real name, we have just got off our arses and started...

Sbarcher

"Working through dozens of application!....... Well, all but half a dozen can go straight in the bin. makes it sound like they're selecting the next Pope. They've had over a week so surely must already have their man pencilled in. Get on with it and let's ee some action - either Carsley to end of season or a quick appointment. While there's still the chance of the PO's don't f**k about!

Sky Blue Sheepy

They needed the cv's in before they can start looking at them. I guess there would have been a deadline to apply which ended yesterday or Wednesday. Tbh I think quite highly of Waggot; seems to have our interests at heart rather than SISUs and didn't do a bad job with the last appointment (despite the ending).

rupert_bear

Development Director Steve Waggott working through dozens of applications for vacant manager's position

“My message to Lee has been to tell me whatever he needs in terms of resources and I will give him everything I can.”

Does that include getting a couple of loans in ?

AFCCOVENTRY

Sounds like they want to appoint someone now and not wait.

I think we won't go back to anyone on the list we interviewed before. Waggott seems to be making the point that new managers have become available. Gives me hope of Adkins but probably not.

rupert_bear

They needed the cv's in before they can start looking at them. I guess there would have been a deadline to apply which ended yesterday or Wednesday. Tbh I think quite highly of Waggot; seems to have our interests at heart rather than SISUs and didn't do a bad job with the last appointment (despite the ending).
Waggott's good at saying what people like to hear, restricted perhaps by other goings on at the club, but his reason for being here initially was to help the manager re. player recruitment, can't say he has earned his money on that score. Players have left recently and so has the manager so wages have been freed up, 2 decent additions would give us the boost needed to push for top 6 or better,

sky blue john

Even though i have said that we should leave it until the end of the season for two reasons really.
Only 13 games to go if it takes a new manager 3-4 games to get upto speed with the players, that could be our season over.
Secondly if we go up we would be likely to attract a better quality manager.
Waggot has rightly started the process because if we lose the next two or three games and our season is over. Then some of our impatatient fans will be screaming its because we haven't didn't get a new manager quick enough !!!!

dongonzalos

Not sure about CV's either.

If someone apply's it is unlikely you won't know what they have done.

If you don't it is unlikely they will get the job.

Get the 40 to express an interest.

Choose your six favourites.

Tell them the ball park figure for a salary.

If they are still interested interview the six over a couple if days.

Choose your man.

Tell him Carsley is getting a fair crack of the whip if things go wrong the job is his.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sounds a pretty reasonable approach to me, certainly dont want a knee jerk reaction approach thats for sure. While Carsley has achieved a couple of wins so far then there is no pressure to shorten timescales.

Problem they have is every manager will ask about the financial situation and money available for loans etc. (as of next Thursday we will be under embargo because club can not file the accounts so manager stuck with squad we have). We will not be able to offer massive wages but ib terms of purely L1 then I would expect those wages to be competitive.

Just to be clear the bank accounts were not frozen by ACL only the amount in the account on that day was (could be tuppence or £100K) anything banked since is not affected and anyway SISU have other bank accounts they could use in the short term (it is inconvenient but doesnt stop CCFC's business)

On the positive side any manager looking at the results under MR knows the team is capable of challenging at the top and will be attracted by that. The facilities are top class and the overall budget in L1 is one of the biggest. They will know how many fans attended the JPT semi here and see potential. Question is do they back themselves to be successful

Personally I think SW is right not to rush it

Last edited:

stupot07

Thanks OSB didn't realise the deadline for accounts was next Thursday - looks like if we're looking at bringing in some loan players we need to do by close of play Wedneaday.

skyblueman

Tend to agree - best not to rush it - we are still winning so why upset that - hopefully the players have a lot of respect for Carsley and will want to help him as well as themselves nest few games makes or breaks our season so can't see anyone influencing that anyway - if it all goes wrong might as well take our time

J

Jack Griffin

Sounds like exactly the same process they went through before appointing Robins.

So it will take a month, 4 or 5 games.

PS At the end of that time they still retain the option to stick with Carsley if it is going well.

Last edited by a moderator:

dongonzalos

Thanks OSB didn't realise the deadline for accounts was next Thursday - looks like if we're looking at bringing in some loan players we need to do by close of play Wedneaday.

Just going through my mind.

However if it is a one in, one out policy that is unlikely.

Cody back will become our only option

J

Jack Griffin

Not sure about CV's either.
If someone apply's it is unlikely you won't know what they have done.

I disagree, they'll probably have a general idea, but I doubt even Waggot has in depth knowledge plus it gives candidates the chance to promote their lesser known abilities, initiatives, accomplishments and achievements.

Otis

What, like 'my hobbies are basket weaving and pony trekking and my favourite colour is purple?'

J

Jack Griffin

What, like 'my hobbies are basket weaving and pony trekking and my favourite colour is purple?'

You've got the job, when can you start?

PS Can you bring some pictures for the walls, Robins took all the good ones :(

Users who are viewing this thread