Match Thread Scunthorpe United vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 5th Jan (1 Viewer)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Thought we played well opening day of the season and not really too sure how we managed to lose it. My first trip to Glanford Park & hoping to deliver some revenge.

pusbccfc

Same team unless Thomas returns to Derby.

Gibbo

I suspect Doyle for an injured Kelly; Thomas to still be with us; JCH on the bench
A draw would handy, but I thought that about Wycombe
Is the presence of McCallum a threat to Shipley?

cc84cov

I think we will do a job on them they Didn’t look great when we played them at home.They picked up a good win at Pompey 1-1 draw I fancy on this one.

Mucca Mad Boys

A winnable fixture and I hope we get a win for mine and brother first league away game of the season!

fernandopartridge

Do I or don't I drive over for this one?

Our record there is terrible and it looks like George Thomas isn't pulling up trees. We'll end up 3 down to a Thomas hattrick by half time.

matesx

Always seem to lose 1 fucking 0 there.

They had a very decent result yesterday too.

So based on that 3.0 to City.

Esoterica

They were on a dire run - 5 games without scoring but have turned it round with a clean sheet at Wycombe and followed it up with a good win at Peterborough.
upload_2019-1-2_12-35-30.png

When they lose it tends to be by a couple of clear goals or more - 5 of their 6 home defeats by >2+ goals:
upload_2019-1-2_12-42-30.png

In terms of goals conceded - very vulnerable after half time:
upload_2019-1-2_12-44-17.png

All in all a very winnable fixture but think the result will very much depend on whether Kelly is fit and Thomas available.

clint van damme

Thought we played well opening day of the season and not really too sure how we managed to lose it. My first trip to Glanford Park & hoping to deliver some revenge.

their goals came from the sort of lapses of concentration that our back 4 seem to have eradicated for now.
Sterling in particular got caught ball watching, he's improved massively since then.

Esoterica

I suspect Doyle for an injured Kelly; Thomas to still be with us; JCH on the bench
A draw would handy, but I thought that about Wycombe
Is the presence of McCallum a threat to Shipley?
Will be a very different performance if Doyle comes in for Kelly. There's no way the fullbacks can be as adventurous as they have been in the last 3 games as Doyle's just not quick enough to provide the lateral cover for them and Kelly gets forward so much more than Doyle was before too - only got to look at the passes from 35 yards out that Kelly has made in the build up to goals at both Charlton and Southend. The fullbacks getting forward and overlapping has been a major part in the upturn in form and we'd return to being fairly toothless in attack I think.

I'm not one for square pegs normally but I'd genuinely consider Hyam into that defensive midfield role and bringing Davies in at the back. I thjink Hyam has enough speed, tenacity, anticipation and passing range to pull it off, if he can get to grips with the role positionally.
If Kelly is out though I suspect Robins will put Shipley in that role and Westbrooke out wide, given that Ogogo hasn't even been making the matchday squads. Would be a big test of his fortitude though.

Philosorapter

Coventry City at Scunthorpe United

IMG_2287.PNG IMG_2296.PNG

Coventry City (1518)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1536) +18
Draw (1518) +0
Loss (1500) -18

After Coventry received the maximum 18 league points from their home and away fixtures from Charlton, Southend and Wycombe; there is a slight colour change on how Glicko shows teams who have played twice (home and away) instead of once, in certain circumstances.

When teams have only played once, there are only three outcomes of games. These are win, draw or loss; which are indicated by green, yellow or red respectively.

When teams have played twice, a win/win will be classed as the same colour as a single win, draw/draw or win/loss as a single draw, and loss/loss as a single loss.

A win/draw, or a draw/loss result will be denoted by a different shade of yellow to show the differences in results.

What this means is the red which currently shows the loss at home to Scunthorpe can change to a shade of yellow with a win or draw at Scunthorpe.

Last edited:

Esoterica

Coventry City at Scunthorpe United

View attachment 11272 View attachment 11275

Coventry City (1518)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1536) +18
Draw (1518) +0
Loss (1500) -18

After Coventry received the maximum 18 league points from their home and away fixtures from Charlton, Southend and Wycombe. There is a slight colour change on how Glicko shows teams who have played twice (home and away) instead of once in certain circumstances.

When teams have only played once, there are only three outcomes of games. Win, draw or loss. These are indicated by green, yellow or red respectively.

When teams have played twice, a win/win will be classed as the same colour as a single win, draw/draw or win/loss as a single draw, and loss/loss as a single loss.

A win/draw, or a draw/loss result will be denoted by a different shades of yellow to show the differences in result.

What this means is the red that currently shows the loss at home to Scunthorpe can change to a shade of yellow with a win or draw at Scunthorpe.
Out of interest, which of the Glicko brothers came up with this method? Was it Wladimir or Vitali?

no_loyalty

Same team which started against Wycombe, unless Kelly is definitely out injured and Thomas has returned to Derby.

robbiethemole

So Scunny have two players some on here were creaming about a couple of years ago, Paddy Madden when he left Yeovil and was wanted here by some, and George Roberts, considered by some to be a world beater and we should never have released. Well the must have man and the Leicester loanee didn't really do it for them whilst we were on our League 2 tour, so probs not to be worried about.

Last time I went there, it was so fucking cold the car froze up on the way home and we won by the ball going in off Murphy's arse from a shot by Marlon.

bawtryneal

Like a home game for me
Worst car park in the world to get out off !!
We are going to win 2-0
Same starting 11 as Wycombe assuming Kelly is fit.

fernandopartridge

So Scunny have two players some on here were creaming about a couple of years ago, Paddy Madden when he left Yeovil and was wanted here by some, and George Roberts, considered by some to be a world beater and we should never have released. Well the must have man and the Leicester loanee didn't really do it for them whilst we were on our League 2 tour, so probs not to be worried about.

Last time I went there, it was so fucking cold the car froze up on the way home and we won by the ball going in off Murphy's arse from a shot by Marlon.
Madden is at Fleetwood

CovInEssex

Haven't been since we got beat1-0 there under the Coleman days, is it still as shit as I remember? I don't mind a shit ground as they usually make a good away day, but Scunthorpe was just so fucking depressing that day, and freezing

D

Deleted member 4439

They've just re-signed Kevin van Veen from Northampton Town (scored 10 in 28 for Town)

steve82

They've just re-signed Kevin van Veen from Northampton Town (scored 10 in 28 for Town)

Didn’t realise he’d gone to Northampton, remember when Scunthorpe turned down £4 million for him from a Chinese club less than 2 years ago!

Kevin Van Veen was signed by MR for Scunthorpe initially.

Scunthorpe going all out for survival this window

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Looking forward to this one...another ground to tick off!

Huge question mark over Kelly, hopefully some news soon. Will be a big miss. Would prefer Ogogu over Doyle purely for energy levels , then if he’s not fit Doyle over Zain. The team would be just a bit too young/inexperienced if Zain replaced Kelly. Need a midfield general imo.

We are starting to play really well as a team now and should be full of confidence including importantly all three strikers. It’s more pressure as we well know in the bottom 4 when you play at home. So I’m fully expecting a nervy Scunthorpe team.

2-1 Cov.

Chaplin brace, seeing some good movement and body language From him.

Magwitch

Another one of those dour shitholes we have to endure in these lower leagues and they tend to bring out the worst in us, haven’t drew a game for a while so I’ll plump for 1-1

Users who are viewing this thread