Scammers! Hahahahahahaha! (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Are scammers absolutely thick as pig-shit? Just received an email to inform me that my Amazon account has been compromised and I should 'click on the link' to reset my details. Hahahaha! They didn't even use my name, just "Dear Amazon Customer". The email address it came from is: Am͎azon.com <[email protected]>
Really?? Amazon use a nice long address these days? These bastards make me sick!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Yes . Anything with " compromised" !

I get quite a few calls like this :
" I understand you were involved in a car accident recently . Can you confirm that's the case ? "
....to which I reply " Go on, tell me about it"

AOM

Amazon scams are unfortunately very common nowadays, and I can imagine a lot of people will fall for things like this.
Absolutely disgusting.

If I ever get calls from them, I just try and waste their time as much as possible. Cretins

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

" I understand you were involved in a car accident recently . Can you confirm that's the case ? "
I love these! I keep them on the line with stuff like, "Oh, the accident which decapitated me? Yes, I remember that one. I still get pains in my neck." Just keep them going while they think they've got a potential 'customer' and then after 5 minutes just hang up!

OffenhamSkyBlue

I was taken aback that HM Courts & Tribunals Service seem to use the email address <[email protected]> to inform people of a "Penality Charge" nowadays, and believe that the Home Office deal with congestion charging zones, and use the link to a dating website for the "Pay Now" button!
I replied to "Plurielle" as follows:-

Dear Plurielle

Is that the best you can do? Seriously??

I'd get a different hobby if i were you - you're clearly no good at this one!

ajsccfc

I find it odd that spam emails still include a glaringly obvious bullshit email address and most of the time horrendous English. It's as if they want to take people's money while giving them enough chance to sniff out a scam at the same time

LastGarrison

I like to lead them along and tell them how I was and that it wasn't my fault etc. and then finish with "Although I can't be completely certain as I was extremely drunk at the time......".

Amazing how quick they hang up.

Nick

Administrator
I find it odd that spam emails still include a glaringly obvious bullshit email address and most of the time horrendous English. It's as if they want to take people's money while giving them enough chance to sniff out a scam at the same time

People fall for it.

Like the old people on dating sites who send Us Marines thousands for surgery via Nigerian bank accounts.

AOM

People fall for it.

Like the old people on dating sites who send Us Marines thousands for surgery via Nigerian bank accounts.

Yep, and those with dementia/alzheimers who will try and save an Amazon account they don't even have

RegTheDonk

I love these! I keep them on the line with stuff like, "Oh, the accident which decapitated me? Yes, I remember that one. I still get pains in my neck." Just keep them going while they think they've got a potential 'customer' and then after 5 minutes just hang up!
Exactly this. Appreciate cold callers are just trying to make a crust, but when they blatently lie about "the accident you had" - bastards. It's fun when you've got time on your hands to waste theirs for a change.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
It's actually deliberate that the emails are a bit shit. They're not aimed at compos mentis folk who might be a bit tired and make a mistake clicking on the links, they're sadly aimed at those with dementia/alzheimers who genuinely fall for them. They'll then be on the suckers list for repeat 'sales'.

ajsccfc

I've found also worryingly that another cross section who fall for them are people who are actually award-winning academically brilliant but so little common sense, the kind you'd see pushing the door marked 'pull'

shmmeee

It's actually deliberate that the emails are a bit shit. They're not aimed at compos mentis folk who might be a bit tired and make a mistake clicking on the links, they're sadly aimed at those with dementia/alzheimers who genuinely fall for them. They'll then be on the suckers list for repeat 'sales'.

Purely from a point of view of penetration testing the mind, I find these tactics fascinating. How quickly they adapt to human and algorithmic failings.

I wonder how things like email clients could adapt to fight it? Flagging emails that seems to be written by a system or have excessive spelling and grammar mistakes and ask if they know the person and remind them not to give away money or something.

Badger

I've just had a phone call to say that I am about to be taken to court for Tax Fraud and to press 1 to find out more information about the case. It would definitely by scary for some.

NorthernWisdom

I told one that I had been, my Mum and Dad had died, and my girlfriend had suffered serious injuries, so what were they going to do about it. I can also do a fine cry-on-demand.

I hope they don't phone back, that woman won't, for sure... although tbf they're underpaid desperate goons in the main who are hijacked into doing that, they're not the main target. The people running it are scum, they don't know who they are phoning. One time that might be genuine.

clint van damme

There was a program on 5live about these scams.
Amazing how many people get caught out. Not all as generally naive or gullible as you think.
The people who perpetrate them are vermin.

Skybluefaz

Purely from a point of view of penetration testing the mind, I find these tactics fascinating. How quickly they adapt to human and algorithmic failings.

I wonder how things like email clients could adapt to fight it? Flagging emails that seems to be written by a system or have excessive spelling and grammar mistakes and ask if they know the person and remind them not to give away money or something.
My Google phone now highlights potential spam callers which is a nice feature. Not sure about filtering emails, I suppose if people opted in to some sort of system it would be fine I wouldn't want something scraping my email content without permission though. I think hey email uses a system of approval to block spam which hopefully the free providers will adopt.

bulko

i had my amazon account hacked they were trying to buy things like playstation cards etc through amazon wallet back in march. they had hacked the account so i never received any emails from amazon it was a nightmare on the phone online chat which was hijacked by the hacker at the same time as i was chatting to amazon help in the end amazon closed my account down very stressful at the time.

Tommo1993

PayPal, Amazon and TV License I keep getting emails about. I’ve been hacked, details have been pinched, blah blah blah. Not paying tv license is a good one though, I’ve never paid it, mrs sorts that one.

David O'Day

My Google phone now highlights potential spam callers which is a nice feature. Not sure about filtering emails, I suppose if people opted in to some sort of system it would be fine I wouldn't want something scraping my email content without permission though. I think hey email uses a system of approval to block spam which hopefully the free providers will adopt.

yeah andriodsd do similar now, flags numbers as potential fraud

shmmeee

If you’ve got a spam filter it already “scrapes” your email. It’s just an algorithm looking for key words/patterns, it could run locally if you’re paranoid. Most spam filters are naive bayes algorithms trained on examples of spam flagged by users. This would just need to be trained on samples of phishing and offer appropriate advice instead of filtering to a spam folder.

Skybluefaz

If you’ve got a spam filter it already “scrapes” your email. It’s just an algorithm looking for key words/patterns, it could run locally if you’re paranoid. Most spam filters are naive bayes algorithms trained on examples of spam flagged by users. This would just need to be trained on samples of phishing and offer appropriate advice instead of filtering to a spam folder.
Of course, I'm being a plonker. Feels like there should be a better way.

Sick Boy

There’s the BIMI and Verified SMS initiatives that seem to be the start of a fight back against it.

Users who are viewing this thread