Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

SBT Book Club

Years ago I really enjoyed ‘The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro’ but also remember thinking the writer was a bit of a dick.

‘Brilliant Orange’ is very good.

I also enjoyed ‘Danish Dynamite’.
 
Years ago I really enjoyed ‘The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro’ but also remember thinking the writer was a bit of a dick.

‘Brilliant Orange’ is very good.

I also enjoyed ‘Danish Dynamite’.
Mills & Boon are also worth a read if one’s at a loose end.
 
Ties in nicely with this topic


Any of Jim Brown’s City books are well worth reading. They are really well researched and written.
Two excellent football books not connected to City (at least not directly) are
My Father and Other Working Class hero’s, a book by Gary Imlach about his dad Stuart ( who did play for City briefly) but which shows the often callous nature of clubs before the abolition of the maximum wage.
A second excellent book is about Brian Clough, Only if You Don’t Kiss Me! by Duncan Hamilton. It tells the story of Hamilton’s own encounters with Brian from junior reporter on the Nottingham local paper to experienced sports journalist who had lived and worked through and so chronicled all of Forests great years. The stories are great and Hamilton’s love for Clough really shines through despite showing what a flawed character he was.
 
Last edited:
Ties in nicely with this topic


Any of Jim Brown’s City books are well worth reading. They are really well researched and written.
Two excellent football books not connected to City (at least not directly are
My Father and Other Working Class hero’s, a book by Gary Imlach about his dad Stuart ( who did play for City briefly) but which shows the often callous nature of clubs before the abolition of the maximum wage.
A second excellent book is about Brian Clough, Only if You Don’t Kiss Me! by Duncan Hamilton. It tells the story of Hamilton’s own encounters with Brian from junior reporter on the Nottingham local paper to experienced sports journalist who had lived and worked through and so chronicled all of Forests great years. The stories are great and Hamilton’s love for Clough really shines through despite showing what a flawed character he was.
The Clough book is a great read. Duncan Hamilton is a fine writer - have a few of his excellent cricket books too
 
My first book about football was “World Cup in Danger” featuring Naranjito, the mascot of the 1982 tournament.

What it lacked in discussion of tactical nuances, it made up for in edge of the seat drama.
 
Last edited:
Currently reading Jonathan Wilson’s extraordinary history of the World Cup “The Power And The Glory” - highly recommended.

What are your favourite books about football?

Mine from yesteryear are Pete Davies’s “All Played Out” about England and England fans during Italia 90 and Simon Kuper’s “Football Against The Enemy”

Favourite City book would probably be Rick Gekoski’s book about the 97/98 season where he had remarkable access behind the scenes. I think Strachan wrote something like “Had I known you were going to write this kind of book, I wouldn’t have allowed it” on the cover?

Reading the Wilson one. Very good indeed.
 
Love the Futebol and Calcio books mentioned here.

A really good book is Morbo by Phil Ball. Alternative look at Spanish football.
 
Yes a good book. The away bus trip to Bari puts ours to shame. Fans seemed to be horrifically racist though
Yeah, Hellas are well renowned for their right wing, bordering fascist, ultras.
 
Few recent that I've read and are decent.

The Roaring Red Front - Stewart McGill & Vincent Raison
The Defiant - Chris Lee
Origin Stories - Chris Lee
Once Upon a Time in La Liga - Brendan Madden
 
Always remember Micky Quinn’s autobiography ‘Who Ate All The Pies’ being a very good and funny read back in the day.
 
Then, my mum bought me my first book about City - Miracle in Sky Blue. I have a few about the club, but that one is still treasured to this day.
I also have that book by Marshall Stewart, published about the same time as Derek Henderson both celebrating our promotion in 1967. Published by Instant Publications of Leamington Spa, its now trying to Instant fall apart. I wonder how many were printed. Cost 5s and 6d (old money).
Other interesting City books, Ernie Hunt Sideburns and 29 minutes from Wembley
 
Last edited:
I also have that book by Marshall Stewart, published about the same time as Derek Henderson both celebrating our promotion in 1967. Published by Instant Publications of Leamington Spa, its now trying to Instant fall apart. I wonder how many were printed. Cost 5s and 6d (old money).
Other interesting City books, Ernie Hunt Sideburns and 29 minutes from Wembley
Yes, it was cheaply produced, but I've looked after it, and it's holding up fairly well.
 
Ties in nicely with this topic


Any of Jim Brown’s City books are well worth reading. They are really well researched and written.
Two excellent football books not connected to City (at least not directly) are
My Father and Other Working Class hero’s, a book by Gary Imlach about his dad Stuart ( who did play for City briefly) but which shows the often callous nature of clubs before the abolition of the maximum wage.
A second excellent book is about Brian Clough, Only if You Don’t Kiss Me! by Duncan Hamilton. It tells the story of Hamilton’s own encounters with Brian from junior reporter on the Nottingham local paper to experienced sports journalist who had lived and worked through and so chronicled all of Forests great years. The stories are great and Hamilton’s love for Clough really shines through despite showing what a flawed character he was.
Ive just added all Lampards kids books as well!!

Topically, I quite enjoyed this although it doesnt include the last World Cup, unless theyve updated it since I bought it.

Michael Donald -Goal!: Intimate portraits and interviews with every living FIFA World Cup™ Final scorer
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom