SATURDAY'S MARCH - A taster from last year (1 Viewer)

Just thought as a precursor to Saturday's March 2014 I'd post my version of last years event "wot I rote" for a local trades paper'

"THE MARCH

20/07/13

It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I awoke on Saturday morning nerves tingling in anticipation of what to expect of a show of utter discontent from loyal Coventry city fans in marching from Gosford Green (spiritual site of CCFC) to Broadgate in contempt of the ludicrous proposal to play City’s “home” games in Northampton !!!

Feelings had been running high for several weeks with sporadic demonstrations from fans in London and the Ricoh making the point but not to a wider audience enough to make the public and media really sit up.

So being a bit dodgy on my old pins of late I am now using a mobility scooter to get around so I bedecked my Super Sport Chariot in the following placards:

“Cobblers – I won’t be going”

“49 years a Season Ticket Holder and booted out of CCFC by SISU”

I set off on the 4 mile journey to Gosford Green at about 10.45 am leaving plenty of time in case of battery failure, fatigue or traffic altercations and arrived at 11.15 am having had a cavalcade of cars hooting me all the way down the Binley Road

On arrival I could see a fair throng of support already there but what was most encouraging was as far as the eye could see a sky blue mass was heading towards the park from all directions. I teamed up with my two mates Barry and Andy and between us soaked up the unbelievable atmosphere of passion, anger and downright hostility towards our beloved owners the mighty SISU.

Young, elderly, able and infirm they were all there making the point with chants, songs banners and placards a truly moving gesture of defiance that for me at least became very emotional when considering that CCFC could be on the very brink of extinction very shortly.

Noon arrived with estimates of at least 2000 already at the park - 12.30 and an almighty roar as not one but two Lady Godivas and steeds arrived and leading from the front the two very fit young ladies headed the ever increasing throng – we were on our way to Broadgate.

The procession was a mile long threading our way through Jordan Well, High St and then to a cacophony of sound we were there to join others who couldn’t make the march swelling the crowd to between 5000 – 7000 a truly magnificent effort by all.

Central point of focus was the stage underneath “Peepiing Tom” where a number of guest speakers gave impassioned speeches in support of the sky Blue Cause including amongst others:

Bob Ainsworth (MP), Dave Nellist (Councillor), Billy Bell (Sky Blue Legends Official), Kirk Stephens (ex player), Nkki Sinclaire (MEP), Moz Baker (Secretary Sky BluesTrust), Jan Mokrzycki (Media Spokesman SBT), Lionel Bird (Life member SBT), there were more but lost track of names (apologies)

To conclude a wonderful show of support that surely has to be seriously considered in determining the future of our beloved club - PUSB"

Users who are viewing this thread