Saturdays Game. (1 Viewer)

ccfcdale

I've posted the same thread on GMK.

The whole team on Saturday was poor very poor probably one of the worst performances I've seen this season. The team lacked passion, in conditions like that I used to love playing in conditions like that, we didn't have a stand out performer at the weekend, no one who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, as the guys said on the podcast last week we need a gritty midfielder. I for one was looking forward to seeing some of the fringe players coming into the match day 11 and staking a claim, not one of them did that. I have said I really rate Daniels, he was poor he kept giving the ball away, passes were intercepted. The same goes for Thomas, he was awful, he started the game poorly and it just slowly dwindled from then onwards. The midfield was just completely overrun by Crawley. They were willing to make the tackles, there wasn't such thing as a lost cause.

The passing ability of the team as a whole was shocking to watch. The basics in football and they couldn't get it right, yes the pitch was very wet and a greasy surface but it was the same for both teams, Crawley handled it much much better. The back 4 were passing it around each other racking up stats, but not chances, according the the stats we had 9 shots on target?! I think I can remember 3 clear cut chances. The amount of times we had the ball in good shooting areas outside the box and we didn't have a dig at goal was unbelievable. Our midfield was often bypassed by balls over the top, our back four to some extent was the same. Im a fan of Wood but I thought he had a poor game.

The first touch from the whole team was abysmal, I remember Jordan Clarke controlling the ball, he moved his foot and the ball just rolled out of play? I actually laughed that a professional could make such a basic error. For pressley to make one change and bring Ball on who is not the best of players, was laughable, one change in a game where there was nothing to lose or play for, and he didn't do anything, Philliskirk was on the bench he could of made a real difference had he come on, key word COULD. It was one of the worst performances I've watched this season. I just don't know how we can actually play so bad, we do have a good squad here, yet none of them seem able to play.

Ratings.

Murphy. 6
Clarke 5
Martin 6
Wood 5
Stewart 4

Thomas 4
Daniels 4
Fleck 6
Moussa 5
Baker 6

Wilson 5

Ball -1

What are other peoples views on Saturday's game?

Also I would like to add that Coventry City Supporters FC left cov at 6:30 am Saturday morning to play a supporters game in the morning which we won 2-0 which saw us score our 100th goal for the season.

JWC

I couldn't agree more. It was embarrassing on Saturday. I took a friend to their first Coventry game and even though they enjoyed it, (well, they said they did) there was nothing positive to take from that game what so ever. What has happened to Clarke? He was showing promise and seemed pretty decent last season, this season he seems to have gone backwards, a long way backwards. I know game time has been lacking but he's much worse this season with a much poorer standard of opposition.

I can't make the last two games of the season. If they're anything like that then I can't say I'm too bothered.

ccfcdale

Cheers, it was awful wasn't it, we must not take anything away from Crawley they played well really well against a poor side. Simple as that. Oh some of Clarkes crosses as well woeful, you know the crosses where you hit them in from the right flank and they go behind the goal our out of the ground. Just horrific to watch. I feel sorry for Pressley he's got a a group of players basically saying, holidays in a couple of weeks, we will go up next season so why bother now hey, well its not as simple as that.

JWC

Cheers, it was awful wasn't it, we must not take anything away from Crawley they played well really well against a poor side. Simple as that. Oh some of Clarkes crosses as well woeful, you know the crosses where you hit them in from the right flank and they go behind the goal our out of the ground. Just horrific to watch. I feel sorry for Pressley he's got a a group of players basically saying, holidays in a couple of weeks, we will go up next season so why bother now hey, well its not as simple as that.

Pressley isn't filling me with confidence either though to be fair. I know it's early days and all that....but hecould have made more than one sub and we never looked likely to score. Bringing on Ball was a positive move as I thought we were going to start using him as a target man, but we persisted on playing it on the floor. Not normally one to advocate the long ball but in those conditions keeping the ball off the floor was the only option. I could hear him shouting from where I was behind the goal so it's not like like he couldn't have got the message across.

stupot07

Pressley isn't filling me with confidence either though to be fair. I know it's early days and all that....but hecould have made more than one sub and we never looked likely to score. Bringing on Ball was a positive move as I thought we were going to start using him as a target man, but we persisted on playing it on the floor. Not normally one to advocate the long ball but in those conditions keeping the ball off the floor was the only option. I could hear him shouting from where I was behind the goal so it's not like like he couldn't have got the message across.

Have you seem him play? He certainly isn't a target man! :eek:

JWC

Fair comment, no he isn't. But with his height compared to McDonald et al he should be able to win something in the air. I was just hoping for a change of style of play which never really came. I thought he might be able to knock down a few aerial balls for Wilson to run on to. Not asking for much for a tall-ish striker I don't think

Ashdown1

Robins was a crap manager though, totally lucky, wasn't able to get the best out of players, team spirit in the gutter towards the end....................... blah fecking blah !!.......................... Sometimes people didn't know how good they had it till it had all moved on !! We had a great 3 months or so under MR, I felt we could beat anyone in League 1, McG was not only only scoring but enabling others to play and attack and be effective. We seem to have gone to shit again with no goal threat and even less confidence !! Be glad now when the month is over and hopefully we get a fresh start with new impetus. Not convinced by Pressley though, he sounds a tad like Thorn in his comments at times !

sky_blue_up_north

Been to most games this season home and away, and Saturday was by far the worst performance of the season (Shrewsbury a close second). From the very first minute I knew we were in trouble. Crawley simply wanted it more. The players seemed void of ideas, passion or belief. Pressley really needs to take a lot of the blame for not changing tactics as the pitch became more like a swamp. You can't play the passing game on a pitch like that. He needs to learn fast otherwise he will in the long list of Sky Blues managers who have been sacked. For me only Carl Baker showed any real desire, for me our player of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread