Sad Article On JH (1 Viewer)

Monners

My mother has recently gone into a home, and it is difficult to come to terms with when she doesn't recognise me. The person I knew has gone, but it is still important to communicate. As long as she is safe and as happy as possible, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

mechaishida

Words can't really articulate the emotion whilst reading that...

An unjust way for a legend such as him, languishing in limbo.

Very, very sad.

covcity4life

a real shame, imagine him coming out on to the pitch whilst we pick up the league one trophy!

hopefully he enjoys the res tof his life in some way or the other

Bugsy

Let's win the league for Jimmy....PUSB

jimmyhillsfanclub

My Dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's less than 12 months after he took voluntary redundancy at 62.....

..Hes now 71 & remarkably still "alive".....although hes been in a home since 2010, cannot walk, talk, eat or control bodily functions.....basically a vegetable with a rotten brain & a stupid stubborn heart that refuses to stop pumping......

Its a fucking hideous disease that makes cancer look like a pleasant walk in the park.....

If I was a stronger person, and didn't have the responsibility of a family of my own to look after & provide for, I'd smother him with a pillow.....

...but I don't have the balls, so he sits there rotting while my mum lives in limbo....heartbreaking.

....and don't get me started on the cost of his care.......

Bless you SIR Jimmy.

Love you Dad.

Enjoy yourselves folks......its later than you think.....

harvey098

So sad - the memories of him leading the sky blues song on the last day at Highfield Road will stay with me forever. Gentleman Jimmy Hill.

jimmyhillsfanclub

So sad - the memories of him leading the sky blues song on the last day at Highfield Road will stay with me forever. Gentleman Jimmy Hill.

I met him & shook his hand that very day...the definition of a "football man".... player, coach, manager, director, chairman, lino, referee, union boss, analyst, pundit....Football visionary...

..an absolute LEGEND & it would be fitting if he could be knighted before he dies.....

...but he'll always be SIR Jimmy to me.

mechaishida

My Dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's less than 12 months after he took voluntary redundancy at 62.....

..Hes now 71 & remarkably still "alive".....although hes been in a home since 2010, cannot walk, talk, eat or control bodily functions.....basically a vegetable with a rotten brain & a stupid stubborn heart that refuses to stop pumping......

Its a fucking hideous disease that makes cancer look like a pleasant walk in the park.....

If I was a stronger person, and didn't have the responsibility of a family of my own to look after & provide for, I'd smother him with a pillow.....

...but I don't have the balls, so he sits there rotting while my mum lives in limbo....heartbreaking.

Bless you SIR Jimmy.

Love you Dad.

I cannot imagine what you're going through, and I won't demean your situation with platitudes I haven't qualified to give, but I can honestly say when/if I'm older, and I have a heartbreaking disease like Alzheimers, I'd hope that the sadists who control legislation on euthanasia have been garotted.

Anyone who is stripped of their life, dignity and mind should not be legally prevented from being allowed to pass on, with assistance.

harvey098

I cannot imagine what you're going through, and I won't demean your situation with platitudes I haven't qualified to give, but I can honestly say when/if I'm older, and I have a heartbreaking disease like Alzheimers, I'd hope that the sadists who control legislation on euthanasia have been garotted.

Anyone who is stripped of their life, dignity and mind should not be legally prevented from being allowed to pass on, with assistance.

Nicely put

Monners

It is extremely difficult. I cannot compare my situation to JHFC's, but you grieve for the "real" person that you knew. At times I had wished my mother had passed on when she was ill in hospital earlier this year - this made me feel like I was almost wishing her dead. I don't, but it will be a relief when it is over (it even feels odd writing that).

covcity4life

She said: “He wasn’t aware of what was happening, but he saw the statue and he was amazed. It was a fleeting image during the day.
“What did affect him was the lovely warmth of the Coventry crowd. They all cheered and the he got the crowd to sing the Sky Blue Song.
“Tears flowed freely from many eyes, including his and mine.”
Bryony went on to explain that Jimmy had always maintained a deep connection to Coventry, even when his illness became advanced.
She said: “He would always look for Coventry’s results first, then Fulham, then Brentford.
“It was always Coventry first. He loved his time there and he loved the people.
“Even when he became very ill, his favourite tie was still the Coventry City tie. That got more wear than any of them.
“He chose it even when everything else was falling by the wayside. He had enormous love and warmth for Coventry.
“To have his statue there is such a lovely tribute.”

LEGEND

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
She said: “He wasn’t aware of what was happening, but he saw the statue and he was amazed. It was a fleeting image during the day.
“What did affect him was the lovely warmth of the Coventry crowd. They all cheered and the he got the crowd to sing the Sky Blue Song.
“Tears flowed freely from many eyes, including his and mine.”
Bryony went on to explain that Jimmy had always maintained a deep connection to Coventry, even when his illness became advanced.
She said: “He would always look for Coventry’s results first, then Fulham, then Brentford.
“It was always Coventry first. He loved his time there and he loved the people.
“Even when he became very ill, his favourite tie was still the Coventry City tie. That got more wear than any of them.
“He chose it even when everything else was falling by the wayside. He had enormous love and warmth for Coventry.
“To have his statue there is such a lovely tribute.”

LEGEND

The stuff about the statue struck a chord. I was involved in the PR for the fund-raising working closely with Joe Elliott, Kevin Heffernan and sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby at the time. Seemed such a shame he wasn't able to fully comprehend the tribute the fans had paid to him.

But then to hear that, even at his worst, his connection to the club remained so deep that it was able to surface in something seemingly trivial - the selection of which tie to wear.

A true Coventry City legend.

bawtryneal

Really sad to read and sticks in my throat that Joe fucking Elliot is stood there next to him at the statue unveiling.

No need for those comments pal. It was Joe Elliot who arranged the statue and made a major contribution to it coming about. Politely suggest you retract your comments.

Last edited:

mechaishida

It is extremely difficult. I cannot compare my situation to JHFC's, but you grieve for the "real" person that you knew. At times I had wished my mother had passed on when she was ill in hospital earlier this year - this made me feel like I was almost wishing her dead. I don't, but it will be a relief when it is over (it even feels odd writing that).

It's a sense of, wishing they were out of their pain/suffering, but then holding onto the only part of them that's left.

I doubt anyone here would think less of you for wishing your mother was at peace, finally.

Skyblueweeman

Awful state of affairs. I've not been personally affected by this condition so don't have first hand experience of dealing with it but I cannot imagine what it would feel like if those closest to me didn't recognise me.

Thoughts with those are in that very situation, including the posters on here.

Here's hoping we wrap up the L1 title for JH.

bawtryneal

Awful state of affairs. I've not been personally affected by this condition so don't have first hand experience of dealing with it but I cannot imagine what it would feel like if those closest to me didn't recognise me.

Thoughts with those are in that very situation, including the posters on here.

Here's hoping we wrap up the L1 title for JH.

Couldn't agree more. What a fitting tribute to Jimmy Hill if we could win promotion this year.

Gazolba

..an absolute LEGEND & it would be fitting if he could be knighted before he dies.....

...but he'll always be SIR Jimmy to me.

And to think that monster Jimmy Savile got knighted and our Jimmy didn't.

Gazolba

The stuff about the statue struck a chord. I was involved in the PR for the fund-raising working closely with Joe Elliott, Kevin Heffernan and sculptor Nicholas Dimbleby at the time. Seemed such a shame he wasn't able to fully comprehend the tribute the fans had paid to him.

The real shame was that it took them so long to decide to erect a statue. About 35 years too late. He's one of the few things that make you proud to be from Coventry.

Macca

Bless you SIR Jimmy.

Love you Dad.

Brave honest words

skybluefred

I have been full time carer for my wife since January this year, fortunately she still recognises me. I'm quite used to being woken at 5a/m
because we have a Dr app at 2p/m. It's not an easy life for the patient or the carer.

Calista

Some of the posts here have been moving to read. I too experienced the decline of a family member, now no longer with us. But it’s a joy to think how much that person gained in life through what Jimmy Hill did for CCFC. Thanks Jimmy.

Skyblueweeman

I have been full time carer for my wife since January this year, fortunately she still recognises me. I'm quite used to being woken at 5a/m
because we have a Dr app at 2p/m. It's not an easy life for the patient or the carer.

Not seen you on here for a while Fred. Sorry to hear that circumstances have changed this year for you. My mother is a carer so I know it's not an easy job.

Respect for playing that much needed role for your nearest and dearest.

WM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sotvtoday

Very sobering thread this.
As far as JH is concerned, I went to my 1st match in March 1964 - the season we won the old Div 3.
It may be my mind playing tricks (and the fact that I was 10) but that man changed the world as far as this club was concerned at that time.
He took us from Div 3 to the old 1st division on a wave of excitement and optimism.
He is an absolute legend of this football club.

Users who are viewing this thread