Ryder Cup golf (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Anyone else interested in golf? I'm not really, I don't play, but I like to watch the final round of the major tournaments and I usually follow the Ryder Cup. This time around, the Americans have a very strong team and it's hard not to see them winning, although their record in Europe is not good. It's being held in Paris from this coming weekend.

Covstu

Can’t wait for it. Was watching the intros earlier today with Ginola. Both have great sides, Europe has more rookies but players like Fleetwood are still top players. Surprised Poulter was called up due to form but generally no one better when the chips are down. Will be interesting to see how Tiger gets on, hardly ever turns up to Ryder cups but picked up his first win last week so that could change.

It’s the reason I love football, the rivalry. Great to see us beat the yanks and hurts when we lose.

Sky Blue Harry H

Have had this on the radio and just heard one of the Americans who won their first point reply to the female reporter 'That's kind of a dumb question' to a perfectly innocuous 'you must be happy' type question. Felt really sorry for her that she couldn't call him out for being a rude tw*t.

Otis

Have had this on the radio and just heard one of the Americans who won their first point reply to the female reporter 'That's kind of a dumb question' to a perfectly innocuous 'you must be happy' type question. Felt really sorry for her that she couldn't call him out for being a rude tw*t.
You sure it was a woman and not Geoff Foster?

Captain Dart

Its that weekend where I don't listen to radio 5 because it is wall to wall golf.

Gazolba

3-1 down in the morning, 5-3 up at the end of the day. Great going so far.
Very annoying that all the BBC clips are 'Not available in your location'.

Otis

3-1 down in the morning, 5-3 up at the end of the day. Great going so far.
Very annoying that all the BBC clips are 'Not available in your location'.
Think it's about time you moved location, Gazbola, because there's a bit of a theme going on and I'm pretty certain the Beeb won't move just for you.

Otis

I have zero interest in golf, but for some reason I love the Ryder cup - it's given some real drama over the last couple of decades.
So many in the same boat, Harry.

I don't watch golf at all apart from the Open and the Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup is like a whole new ball game.

Last edited:

Ashdown

Just got off the golf course........obviously not the one in Paris. Great game to play with a few mates and doesn't cost too much either these days. Looking forward to the highlights now.

Gazolba

Think it's about time you moved location, Gazbola, because there's a bit of a theme going on and I'm pretty certain the Beeb won't move just for you.
They do allow me to view some clips. I'm able to view clips of women's cricket.
Also, most of the things they don't allow me to view, I can view on Youtube, so the restriction is pointless.

ccfcway

Just got off the golf course........obviously not the one in Paris. Great game to play with a few mates and doesn't cost too much either these days. Looking forward to the highlights now.

Where do you play. Loads near me closing.

Heard on radio yesterday that the average age of a member of ascot golf club is older than the average age of a local ascot church

Captain Dart

Gazolba

The great Tiger Woods on the losing side in every game he's played in so far.

Otis

Screenshot_2018-09-30-15-33-46.png

Obviously Europe should now go on to win the Ryder cup, but a few of those match-ups do worry me a bit and it could end up a lot closer than we imagined.

McIlroy can be very inconsistent and I think Thomas could well beat him this morning.

Casey v Koepka. I can see this one maybe going the Americans' way.

Rose v Simpson. Have to fancy Justin Rose there in that match-up.

Rahm v Woods. Rahm hasn't been great, but Woods has been worse and hasn't been moving about too well. Rahm to win that one.

Fleetwood v Finnau - Fleetwood has been brilliant and you have to fancy him to pick up the point for Europe.

Poulter v Johnson - Johnson is the stronger player and I think he will take the point there for the US.

Olesen v Speith - Speith all day long there. He has been the US's top player this weekend.

Garcia v Fowler - Fowler. Again, not been great, but still think he may well beat Sergio and bag the Americans another point.

Molinari v Mickelson - Tough one to call. If Mickelson is at his very best, then Mickelson, but I think it could easily go either way. 1/2 point each.

Hatton v Reid - An on-form Reid and it would be Reid all day long, but he has been dreadful. Unless he gets his act together this morning it will be Hatton.

Stenson v Watson - Another close one, but I think Watson may come out triumphant here.

Noren v Dechambeau - No idea on this one, although the American hasn't played at all well. 1/2 point each.

Looking at that I think we might end up with 5 points. More than enough, but it could end up pretty close.

Otis

Well, Europe doing really well so far. Up in 5.

Fleetwood though is having an absolute stinker.

Moff

Love the Ryder Cup. Will be ecstatic if we can close it out today, and win.

Relative of mine played in it in 1961, and went to watch it with him and other family at the Belfry a couple of times in the 90's and it was an amazing experience.

He got awarded a replica of the trophy not long before he passed away, and its now sitting in the club house at Hearsall Golf Club if anyone is ever up there.

Gazolba

Great win for Europe. Francesco Molinari winning 5 from 5 was amazing.
Can't believe there's not a single French golfer good enough to make the team.
I think the biggest mistake the Americans made was picking Woods and Mickelson; both of them lost every match they played in.
The US should have picked younger, hungrier players instead of those two.

Last edited:

Otis

Great win for Europe. Francesco Molinari winning 5 from 5 was amazing.
Can't believe there's not a single French golfer good enough to make the team.
I think the biggest mistake the Americans made was picking Woods and Mickelson; both of them lost every match they played in.
The US should have picked younger, hungrier players instead of those two.
They certainly have enough to pick from. Mickelson must be so close to having to depart for the senior tour too now. He's 48.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’m not a fan of playing (haven’t got the patience ever since I went round the Memorial park pitch and putt in 150 odd shots, gave up on the 16th when I was 16) or watching golf usually but every Ryder Cup I’m hooked, amazing spectacle, pound for pound arguably the ‘greatest’ sporting competition imo along with the 6 Nations and The Ashes.

Covstu

I’m not a fan of playing (haven’t got the patience ever since I went round the Memorial park pitch and putt in 150 odd shots, gave up on the 16th when I was 16) or watching golf usually but every Ryder Cup I’m hooked, amazing spectacle, pound for pound arguably the ‘greatest’ sporting competition imo along with the 6 Nations and The Ashes.
Don't really get 6 Nations (or Rugby for that matter) but Ryder Cup is the greatest single event because it is an intense 3 days and over as quickly as it starts. I think it also is intensified as its against the Yanks who come across all 'professional' and too formal and usually get beat by a European side that looks like they are having fun. I think like I have said in a previous post, it has that Football rivalry to it which everyone can get behind but that small element of respect to the sport and the opposition.

Gazolba

Anyone else think it would be good to include both men and women in the Ryder Cup?
Since it's a team competition it's eminently doable. The four-balls and foursomes could be one man and one woman, and the singles could be an equal number of men and women contests.
I think it would be great. Here's an article on it:
Time to let women play in the Ryder Cup
Edit: Sorry, that turned out to be a pay-per-view article. Anyway, it means I'm not the only person to consider the idea ...

Otis

Anyone else think it would be good to include both men and women in the Ryder Cup?
Since it's a team competition it's eminently doable. The four-balls and foursomes could be one man and one woman, and the singles could be an equal number of men and women contests.
I think it would be great. Here's an article on it:
Time to let women play in the Ryder Cup
Edit: Sorry, that turned out to be a pay-per-view article. Anyway, it means I'm not the only person to consider the idea ...
Yeah. Good idea and it will get more people into the women's game.

Not sure how you'd fit it all in though. The first tee offs on Friday were at 7.10am.

Think you would need another day.

Covstu

I have no issue with it but agree with shaw, it isn’t broken and a risk of losing its appeal.

CJ_covblaze

No doesn’t need to be mixed.

Don’t the women have their own similar competition?

The Ryder cup is a fantastic spectacle it does not need to be changed.

I agree. It’s a stupid idea and would only devalue the Solheim Cup.

Skyblueweeman

Just stumbled across this. As I’ve mentioned before, I love the golf and thankfully, our first born didn’t arrive during the Ryder Cup so I managed to watch it all? Amazing 3 days of golf. The Yanks have many issues despite their perceived brilliance. Great work to all.

Mrs WM still carrying...6 days overdue now. I’m now getting very impatient!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread