Running out of steam (1 Viewer)

wingy

Is there an issue with our fitness ,conditioning ,we seem to be getting more of our lads who can't get through the last twenty minutes,even stranger after two weeks without a game.

Nick

Administrator
There must be something up, it is as if teams keep it in first gear until 55 - 60 minutes and then step it up against us.

bamalamafizzfazz

I wholly agree and unfortunately it has been our downfall on more than a few occasions this season. Five minutes before Cole scored I said he was sitting on the left wing and we were getting exposed down our right hand side. I don't blame Christie or Thomas but you could see that both of them were tiring and this was recognised by Allardyce and not by Thorn.

Hussey and Bigi were solid together and the Hammers were getting nothing down that side even though they are usually stronger on their right but Allardyce identified the weaker part of the team and exposed it.

The standard of football was of the highest calibre that you would expect in the Championship and you cannot expect our youngsters to be able to compete for a full 90 minutes. I don't really know who is to blame for the defeat but Allardyce bringing on Cole and Piquionne made the difference and it's from those two down their right hand side that the goals came from.

Thorn did tidy it up by bringing Wood on but unfortunately for us it was too late. Disappointed still just by the result, not the performance.

Otis

We are tiring badly in most games. My slant on it is that I think we are playing players who are not 100% fit through needs must situations. There then is also the reality of playing kids who are just not used to 90 minutes of matches of such intensity week in week out.

Bottom line once again unfortunately is that the squad isn't big enough.

Nathccfc

I do know that they dont do any strength and conditioning work at there anymore, they uses to have a sports scientist that used to work with them during training and he used to do that religiously but since he left they haven't replaced him and they haven't done strength and conditioning since.. This could also be the reason why we get injuries?

stupot07

I do know that they dont do any strength and conditioning work at there anymore, they uses to have a sports scientist that used to work with them during training and he used to do that religiously but since he left they haven't replaced him and they haven't done strength and conditioning since.. This could also be the reason why we get injuries?

I'm sure thorn brought in that bloke who used to work for everton to do the fitness side.

Nathccfc

I'm not sure but when I was in the strength and conditioning gym at Cov Uni the other day, Jordan Clarke was in there doing conditioning and they were running some tests on his knee and he said that the sport scientist had left and gone else where and they hadn't done much strength and conditioning work since, so it could contribute to us getting a few injuries?

PVA

To be honest, when they are in a position to bring on Cole and Piquionne then it's always going to be tough.

When we are chasing a game, who can we bring on, Baker and mcDonald, as an example. They just have so much more strength in depth and Cole and Piquionne were always going to cause trouble against our tiring legs.

Nonleagueherewecome

We are tiring badly in most games. My slant on it is that I think we are playing players who are not 100% fit through needs must situations. There then is also the reality of playing kids who are just not used to 90 minutes of matches of such intensity week in week out.

Bottom line once again unfortunately is that the squad isn't big enough.

This is pretty much it. I think that was probably Platt's first full 90 mins..Juke plays constantly even though last season his poor stamina meant he was usually subbed by 70 mins..Hussey has never had a full season of pro football..Wood, Cranie, McPake, Deegan, Baker, Bell and McSheffrey have all had knocks that have stopped them building up core fitness and had to get match-fit playing in the first team.

And then there's the youngsters: they should ideally be dropped in and out and not over-stretched. You physically-and mentally-burn them out otherwise, and that can lead to stunted potential. If any one is being effected by having to play too many games it's Cyrus, so I really would champion a return to CB for Wood and Keogh moving to RB for a few games. But I think we're planning to sell Wood :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread