Roland Duchatelet demands EFL acquire Charlton (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I dont get why they would buy it?

I cant make too much sense of it but it reads that between fans and the EFL's rules nobody will take over?

chiefdave

I dont get why they would buy it?

I cant make too much sense of it but it reads that between fans and the EFL's rules nobody will take over?
It happens in other sports. Guess its the logical conclusion if you want to force and owner out but there is no potential buyer.

He seems to be saying that the EFL rules allow huge losses which means to be competitive you have to be prepared to lose huge amounts of money. That limits the number of potential buyers. So if you can't sell what then? Are you expected to just keep funding huge losses year after years while being abused by supporters and having your home vandalised.

Not been expressed very well but I think somewhere in there he has a point.

SBAndy

Couple of points:

1) it cannot have been news to him that when things go so remarkably wrong with football clubs there is the potential for civil disorder and possible criminal damage. Charlton weren’t the first club to protest against the owners and they won’t be the last.
2) you don’t have to spend a fortune and be competitive. No one makes you. If the infrastructure of the club cannot support the levels of spending required to be in said league, then it’s probably going to transpire that you will eventually get relegated. I’d suggest that we are probably a good case study for that; a team that spunked good money after bad in the name of being competitive, dropped down to the bottom league and ok we’re not quite breaking even but we’re steady and making progress.

That said, I do agree on the fact that owners can’t be expected to just pour money in constantly and if they stop then the fanbase turn on them. Not that it’d ever be possible, but I’d be intrigued if there were to be an overall wage/budget cap introduced forcing clubs to be more sustainable.

chiefdave

it cannot have been news to him that when things go so remarkably wrong with football clubs there is the potential for civil disorder and possible criminal damage. Charlton weren’t the first club to protest against the owners and they won’t be the last.
Protests are one thing, Charlton fans travelling to Belgium to trash his house and the houses of people he knows is a bit much.

lifeskyblue

Protests are one thing, Charlton fans travelling to Belgium to trash his house and the houses of people he knows is a bit much.

Agreed....a bit much...but more likely to ultimately get the result the fans want than a mild mannered march, letters of protest to a local newspaper and a few whistles. Unfortunately keeping within the law is less likely to have impact than stepping outside it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Agreed....a bit much...but more likely to ultimately get the result the fans want than a mild mannered march, letters of protest to a local newspaper and a few whistles. Unfortunately keeping within the law is less likely to have impact than stepping outside it.

Nah, if I was him I'd be more likely to hold on to it to piss the people off that attempted to do that shit to me.

Nick

Administrator

The thing is, he openly wants to sell the club but isn't getting any takers.

I admit I dont know their finances or if he has been milking it or piling money in. Fans however always want people to come in and pile loads of cash in and when results aren't going their way they want them to just walk away and give the club away to the next one.

Nick

Administrator
Nah, if I was him I'd be more likely to hold on to it to piss the people off that attempted to do that shit to me.

Imagine being a billionaire with a grudge against somebody. I'd be a horrible bastard (but nice to nice people and charity).

I'd buy their employer out (if it was reasonable) and then stroll in on the Monday morning and just sit and stare at them.

SBAndy

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m neither condoning it nor saying that behaviour should be expected. It’s just that he knew (some of) what he was getting himself into.

chiefdave

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m neither condoning it nor saying that behaviour should be expected. It’s just that he knew (some of) what he was getting himself into.
What about the people who have had their houses vandalised just for happening to know him and have nothing to do with taking over Charlton?

SBAndy

What about the people who have had their houses vandalised just for happening to know him and have nothing to do with taking over Charlton?

Look, I’m not saying what has happened is deserved. It isn’t. I think it’s ridiculous. The people who knew him should not be involved in it and I’m very intrigued as to how this was found out.

Brighton Sky Blue

Couple of points:

1) it cannot have been news to him that when things go so remarkably wrong with football clubs there is the potential for civil disorder and possible criminal damage. Charlton weren’t the first club to protest against the owners and they won’t be the last.
2) you don’t have to spend a fortune and be competitive. No one makes you. If the infrastructure of the club cannot support the levels of spending required to be in said league, then it’s probably going to transpire that you will eventually get relegated. I’d suggest that we are probably a good case study for that; a team that spunked good money after bad in the name of being competitive, dropped down to the bottom league and ok we’re not quite breaking even but we’re steady and making progress.

That said, I do agree on the fact that owners can’t be expected to just pour money in constantly and if they stop then the fanbase turn on them. Not that it’d ever be possible, but I’d be intrigued if there were to be an overall wage/budget cap introduced forcing clubs to be more sustainable.

Man City
Chelski
Bournemouth
Leicester
Wolves
Southampton

I could go on. Kind of helps if you have an owner who doesn't care about making massive losses and signing blank cheques.

Users who are viewing this thread