Roger van gool (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

watching itv Forest European champions
Van gool on fire

who did we sign? must have been his brother

Sky Blue Harry H

Roger - for whatever reason, whenever I think of him, it was an away game at Leicester in the famous chocolate brown kit (I want to say we won 3-1, but some statto on here will prove my memory false!)

Sky Blue Harry H

he was absolute wank for us - looked a superstar for cologne v forest
As a bizarre side note, on an exchange trip to Bruhl (near Cologne and twin town of Leamington) many years ago, my German mate presented me with a pair of FC Koln underpants!!! I gave him a Yellow City top (not a fair exchange!)

Nonleagueherewecome

Watched that too, blimey he was good. But then, so was Larry Lloyd. He admitted at one point in the doc that Clough was a master motivator and "I gave everything in every game for Forest. At Coventry, not so much..."

Nonleagueherewecome

Last edited:

Magwitch

Roger Van Goole was a big signing for us money wise as was the likes of Larry Lloyd, Garry Collier, Dave Jones, goalkeeper Bryan King for some reason Gordon Milne struggled to get the best out of big expensive signings yet when it came to what could be called bargain basement signings like Ian Wallace, Steve Hunt, Bobby McDonald plus one or two from non league he did very well with. Collier and Jones cost a combined fee of over £600k massive money at the time, Collier played just two games and Jones not many more.
King was a star turn at Millwall but bloody hopeless here same with Larry Lloyd regular at Liverpool winning league title, UEFA cup but rubbish here snapped up on the cheap by Nottingham Forest and went on to win league title, couple of European cups and League cups.

Irish Sky Blue

Before Van Goole signed there had been a lot of speculation and excitement as it had become known that City were about to buy a foreign international, but his name was being kept secret. The Telegraph broke the story with the headline 'It's Van Goole'. This might have been fitting if the player signing was Cruyff or Beckanbaur but Van Goole? I would think most fans had never heard of him or, as mentioned above, seen him play on telly against Forest in the European Cup. He never lived up to the performance he gave for Cologne against Forest and for City he was disappointing in what he produced.

Grendel

Couldn’t adjust to the English game and looked an isolated figure most of the time

We replaced him with Rudi Kaiser who was no better

Nonleagueherewecome

Great to see my favourite all-time City player (Dublin apart) doing his stuff too. Steve Hunt was such a great player for us.

Hi, dad!

(Hunt is my dad's fave all-time player too, along with Ian Gibson. You're right, he had a blinder there, fantastic delivery. 30m in todays market?)

Nonleagueherewecome

Users who are viewing this thread