Robert Jarni (1 Viewer)

Sub

• On the BBC website

Football live - Transfer gossip & Carabao Cup reaction

10:41
    Get Involved
    #bbcfootball or text 81111 (UK only)

Robert Jarni signed for Coventry from Real Betis for £2.5m on a Monday and we sold him to Real Madrid the following Friday for £3.5m because he wanted to live in Spain - where he had just come from!

• Richard
    upload_2018-1-10_10-50-57.gif
    Getty Images
    You can read more about his brief stay at Coventry here.

Article Reactions
    Article share tools

• Copy this link
    Read more about these links.Read more about sharing BBC content externally

Ricketts

Did he mention the bit he realised how shit we were, and we lost 5-0.

I find it hard to believe he would rather live in Madrid than Coventry.

Looking back on it, it was probably a brown envelope transfer to escape some clause or other.

Joy Division

Weren't we just paid to be the filter for a player who Betis wouldn't sell to a rival? Wish I hadn't got his name printed to be honest.

Yes. There was a dislike between the two clubs at the time which resulted in Betis not wanting to sell players to Madrid, we signed him without ever intending him to play for us.

rob9872

I think we should have a nostalgic song about him like United do for Cantona.

mechaishida

Looking back on it, it was probably a brown envelope transfer to escape some clause or other.

Well yes, we were shit, but he turned up for a friendly that we drew 1-1, didn't he?

I was proper pissed off, along with the other star struck fans who queued up for an hour to get "Jarni 27" on their shirts.

We should have realised back then that the club didn't give a toss about the fans, they knew full well that Jarni's transfer was a farce but still rolled out the shirt name and piped up the media to legitimise the deal.

Bang goes my good mood, nice one OP.

Sub

Well yes, we were shit, but he turned up for a friendly that we drew 1-1, didn't he?

I was proper pissed off, along with the other star struck fans who queued up for an hour to get "Jarni 27" on their shirts.

We should have realised back then that the club didn't give a toss about the fans, they knew full well that Jarni's transfer was a farce but still rolled out the shirt name and piped up the media to legitimise the deal.

your welcome happy wednesday !!:happy::shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased:

mechaishida

Jarni should turn up for the next Legends Day, to add a sense of hilarity to the proceedings.

Let's see if we can hire Boris Johnson for the day, so he can perform his patented headbutt to the bollocks on him during the game.

Ricketts

I thought it was the Benfica game he watched. (From memory, and the losing 5-0 was from memory. I'm sure there are some pedants on here ready to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Captain Dart

I thought it was the Benfica game he watched. (From memory, and the losing 5-0 was from memory. I'm sure there are some pedants on here ready to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Was it 7-2?

pre-season friendly at HRwe score 2 great goals only to let 7 in up the other end,several benfica players played in Euro 96 where they came 4th.only have the goals up to a 5-2 scoreline.Whelan and dublin for cov.

Click Here To Watch Video

Captain Dart

Was it this one?
CCFC Pre-Season Results - Coventry MAD
pre-season friendly at HRwe score 2 great goals only to let 7 in up the other end,several benfica players played in Euro 96 where they came 4th.only have the goals up to a 5-2 scoreline.Whelan and dublin for cov.

Legia Sky Blue

This was the season after we had lost on penalties at Sheff Utd in Quarter Finals of cup & had a half decent season - Dublin had scored 20 goals etc. We had players like Nilsson, Boateng, Huckerby, Whelan & Dublin, so weren't particularly shit at that time. Can't remember the particular details of the friendly Jarni attended, but petty sure the Benfica hammering came when Atkinson was manager.

CJ_covblaze

This was the season after we had lost on penalties at Sheff Utd in Quarter Finals of cup & had a half decent season - Dublin had scored 20 goals etc. We had players like Nilsson, Boateng, Huckerby, Whelan & Dublin, so weren't particularly shit at that time. Can't remember the particular details of the friendly Jarni attended, but petty sure the Benfica hammering came when Atkinson was manager.

Nilsson on one side and Jarni on the other. Imagine how good that would’ve been. Also for a combined cost of 2.7m. I know Roland was knocking on a bit when he came in but you would never have known. How much would a full back partnership of that quality cost today? 70m?

I’m think the game Jarni watched was against Espanyol. The Benfica one was a couple of years before and I’m sure it was something to do with the Isaías transfer.

NortonSkyBlue

Yes Benfica! A game that ended a season before it began. 20 minutes 2-1 up, then they went through the gears like I have never seen before. We were just ripped apart by a team that had players that had just competed at Euro 96 and it was an eye opener like no other.
We had spent shit loads on players and first game at Highfield Road, Us 0 Kevin Campbell 3.
I have sent us lose heavily many times but not like that. Pre season friendly? Yes but it's legacy was all season long. I spoke with the manager at the London Supporters 20th anniversary dinner and he said that the defenders were still trying to undo the knots in their legs.
This post has been longer than Jarni's career with us.

CJ_covblaze

Yes Benfica! A game that ended a season before it began. 20 minutes 2-1 up, then they went through the gears like I have never seen before. We were just ripped apart by a team that had players that had just competed at Euro 96 and it was an eye opener like no other.
We had spent shit loads on players and first game at Highfield Road, Us 0 Kevin Campbell 3.
I have sent us lose heavily many times but not like that. Pre season friendly? Yes but it's legacy was all season long. I spoke with the manager at the London Supporters 20th anniversary dinner and he said that the defenders were still trying to undo the knots in their legs.
This post has been longer than Jarni's career with us.

I’ll never forget that Forest game. Despite the score line they were still robbed. Campbell was a class act. Isn’t he the highest scoring player in Europe’s major leagues without an international cap?

yes i remember the Benfica game. ht summed it up for me ... our subs just lumping it across from one side of the pitch to another and they were doing really intricate passing drills...which paid off as they tore us to shreds with some lovely football..

Legia Sky Blue

I’ll never forget that Forest game. Despite the score line they were still robbed. Campbell was a class act. Isn’t he the highest scoring player in Europe’s major leagues without an international cap?
Ironically Forest got relegated that season, and after they beat us on the opening day I don't think they won another game until January/ February time.

rupert_bear

Ahh The Benfica game ripped to pieces and just about illustrated WGS limitations I think until that game he thought he was good. As for the Jarni farce at the time it was embarrassing to say the least but the deal almost a million quid proffit in about a fortnight was great business really for a player who had no intention of staying,

NortonSkyBlue

Ahh The Benfica game ripped to pieces and just about illustrated WGS limitations I think until that game he thought he was good. As for the Jarni farce at the time it was embarrassing to say the least but the deal almost a million quid proffit in about a fortnight was great business really for a player who had no intention of staying,
Strachan wasnt manager for the friendly. Point your finger elsewhere rupert_beat!

Gosford Green

This was the season after we had lost on penalties at Sheff Utd in Quarter Finals of cup & had a half decent season - Dublin had scored 20 goals etc. We had players like Nilsson, Boateng, Huckerby, Whelan & Dublin, r.

If that line up was shit I hate to think what that makes the current line up.

if was an old school brown envelope deal to bypass a club that would not sell to another, there was no one better in that area that the orange tan man.

mechaishida

Haha, well without checking if the pedant posse have struck, I thought we lost 6-2 to Benfica in pre season 96-97?

Unless of course there's a case of amnesia going on where Jarni is concerned...

ajsccfc

With these batterings by proper European teams, it's probably a blessing in disguise that Juventus cancelled on us that year. We'd probably be non-league already

mechaishida

Of course theyve struck.

It was 2-7.

I was two goals and two years out.

Thats what happens when you start to age.

Ah yes, 7-2...instantly, that scoreline has brought back emotions of "we are utterly bolloxed next season" and "Oh great, Joao Pinto just scored. Again. Is that 4 he's got?"

Where the hell were we? Jarni, yes...

Incidentally, I forgot how quick Jarni was out of the blocks at his peak - that guy could have been a professional sprinter.

rupert_bear

Ah yes, 7-2...instantly, that scoreline has brought back emotions of "we are utterly bolloxed next season" and "Oh great, Joao Pinto just scored. Again. Is that 4 he's got?"

Where the hell were we? Jarni, yes...

Incidentally, I forgot how quick Jarni was out of the blocks at his peak - that guy could have been a professional sprinter.
Joao Pinto what a player did that Rui Costa play too ?

Users who are viewing this thread