Richard Wood (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I expect he is now our highest earner with Eastwood, Clingan moving on.

I'm sure even our players have clauses in them to say in the event of relegation there'll be a wage cut (even our board are sensible enough to do that.......aren't they?)

Let's say he's on 8-9k now, he'll still be on a considerable wage in league one.

Would you keep him or accept any offers that may come in?

Along with his wages and the wages freed up by players at the end of their contract, IF the wages were to be given to Thorn to improve the squad, I'd say there's a fair share of money there that could get a fair few decent league one signings coming in.

However IMO along as he can stay fit (a bit like McPake) I believe he'll be a decent player to have in League one.

(wanted to do as a poll but can't on my phone)

SkyBlueScottie

More than good enough for this league, however as it stands we have currently have Wood, Cranie, Keogh, McPake and Cameron on our books, what we dont want to happen is Keogh & Cranie going then deciding to let Wood and McPake leave as well. So its a balancing act for Thorn as well as I am not sure Wood will be happy if he is not playing.

CJparker

Wood along with McPake or Cameron would be the backbone of our defence next season, presuming that Keogh and Cranie leave.

Let's face it, at least 2 of Cranie, Keogh and McPake are likely to go, so Wood will have to be a first choice centre back. He'll also rival Sheff for the captaincy I would say.

stupot07

Richard woods big problem is his ongoing injury problems. I think he's started 47 league games + 10 sub appearances out of a possible 114 league games since he signed for us.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
he's not on 8-9k when clingan was only offered 8k where is your logic he's probs on 5-6k

There's no logic, it was an assumption. He would have been on a fair wage at Sheff Wed, and we'd have had to pay him more to get him here (what other attraction was there at the time? Apart from Championship football), and he was brought in at a time when I think it's fair to say we weren't as tight as what we have been more recently

skybluegod

There's no logic, it was an assumption. He would have been on a fair wage at Sheff Wed, and we'd have had to pay him more to get him here (what other attraction was there at the time? Apart from Championship football), and he was brought in at a time when I think it's fair to say we weren't as tight as what we have been more recently

so why 8-9k when clingan was only offered an 8k deal if he was one of our higher earners then wood would only be on 5-6k

SkyBlue_Bear83

Richard woods big problem is his ongoing injury problems. I think he's started 47 league games + 10 sub appearances out of a possible 114 league games since he signed for us.
He has played around 70 games for us and that is with not appearing to be Boothroyds or Thorns preferred centre back, I can only remember this season injuries being a problem.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
so why 8-9k when clingan was only offered an 8k deal if he was one of our higher earners then wood would only be on 5-6k

No reason why he can't have been offered more than you suggest Clingan was offered.

It's going to be more than 5-6k though (of course IMO). I'd expect the likes of Sheff to be on that kind of wage, and Bell.

skybluegod

No reason why he can't have been offered more than you suggest Clingan was offered.

It's going to be more than 5-6k though (of course IMO). I'd expect the likes of Sheff to be on that kind of wage, and Bell.

your saying clingan was the second highes earner in you post so it must mean he's on less

sw88

Chief Commentator!
your saying clingan was the second highes earner in you post so it must mean he's on less

All I said was he must be our highest earner now that Eastwood and Clingan have moved on; that doesn't mean I'm ruling out he wasn't the highest earner while they were here! I'd say he'd more likely be on equal terms to them, if not there or there abouts

skybluegod

All I said was he must be our highest earner now that Eastwood and Clingan have moved on; that doesn't mean I'm ruling out he wasn't the highest earner while they were here! I'd say he'd more likely be on equal terms to them, if not there or there abouts

theres no way he has a contact of 8k per week imo he's on 6 max bell will be on like 4k per week

J

Jack Griffin

Well the club now have the opportunity to sign some up and coming league one players on lower salaries with a good bonus & increase if we get promoted, (assuming ofc xfer ban lifted soon).

The sort of players that will be worth money in the transfer market in 2 years who are good enough for the next level and exceptionally competative in division 3.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccfcway

he was on 5k a week at Sheff Wed, they offered him an improved contract and he turned it down to move to Cov for more money.

He is a shef wed fan and was their captain, so he wouldnt have moved for nothing...

He will be on 7k at least, but I remember everyone talking about 8k a week when he transfered to us !

ccfcway

Well the club now have the opportunity to sign some up and coming league one players on lower salaries with a good bonus & increase if we get promoted, (assuming ofc xfer ban lifted soon).

The sort of players that will be worth money in the transfer market in 2 years who are good enough for the next level and exceptionally competative in division 3.

Makes sense to me.

er, wasnt this what Ranson said before SISU pulled the plug, why would they start now.

We aint getting any money !!

Astute

More than good enough for this league, however as it stands we have currently have Wood, Cranie, Keogh, McPake and Cameron on our books, what we dont want to happen is Keogh & Cranie going then deciding to let Wood and McPake leave as well. So its a balancing act for Thorn as well as I am not sure Wood will be happy if he is not playing.

I wouldn't be happy either if our top earner wasn't playing. Might as well keep Fatwood if we want high earners not playing.

Grendel

Wood was signed when SISU were still offering bigger than average wages under Ransons vision of a smaller, better quality squad. Coleman was after him for some time and so logically he is a big earner. Unlikely there was a relegation provision at the time. He is a good player (very good for league 1) but as Stu says is a big risk with his injury record.

Grendel

Apparantly played 70 games (inc. subs) for us and only missed 6 last season which I am surprised about but only 19 games this season.

Brighton Sky Blue

The defence is not something I've got huge reservations over-our priority simply has to be some extra strength up front so we're not relying too heavily on McDonald and Sheff.

georgehudson

and we are still under a transfer embargo,
why have the accounts not been filed ?
yet, we believe clarke-harris has gone ?
a looming ridiculous small squad to cope with the extra games,
surely time for some truth,
PUSB

ccfc_Tom

I'd keep wood if he plays all season hell probs get us around 5 goals in this league.
murphy
clarke wood cameron hussey
christie deegan thomas baker
mcdonald Platt

Play off team if you ask me even without signings and if we sell keogh, bigi and cranie goes. of course we'd have a thin squad though...

Bertola

1st choice centre half in my eyes. Even if Crainie and Keogh do stay (which is unlikely)

Seems to be the only threat from a set-piece that we have in the whole squad too!

stupot07

Apparantly played 70 games (inc. subs) for us and only missed 6 last season which I am surprised about but only 19 games this season.

I'm happy to stand corrected and presume that's all competitions, even so if you add another 6/7 on the league games say 70 apps out of 120 games that's still only 58% games he played.

We have so many that struggle with injuries, Hussey, Deegan, Sheffers, Baker, Bell, McPake and even cameron had his fair share.

I just think we should be looking for a few more Gunna's, Jukes and Keogh's in terms of consistently being fit.

Updated: just checked the stats, the 47(10) in 114 league games is from we permanently signed him and doesn't included the 3 month loan as he was technically Sheff Weds player. So since he became our player he was only played 50% of the league games.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm happy to stand corrected and presume that's all competitions, even so if you add another 6/7 on the league games say 70 apps out of 120 games that's still only 58% games he played.

We have so many that struggle with injuries, Hussey, Deegan, Sheffers, Baker, Bell, McPake and even cameron had his fair share.

I just think we should be looking for a few more Gunna's, Jukes and Keogh's in terms of consistently being fit.

Updated: just checked the stats, the 47(10) in 114 league games is from we permanently signed him and doesn't included the 3 month loan as he was technically Sheff Weds player. So since he became our player he was only played 50% of the league games.
I can tell you now since January 2010 when he signed Richard Wood has made 76 league appearances. I have counted them using soccerbase

The only season Richard Wood has had injury problems is this season, in his first season he appeared in 24 league games having only signed in November (5 loan appearances), in the next season he made 40 league appearances and the season just gone he only made 17 league appearances.

stupot07

I can tell you now since January 2010 when he signed Richard Wood has made 76 league appearances. I have counted them using soccerbase

The only season Richard Wood has had injury problems is this season, in his first season he appeared in 24 league games having only signed in November (5 loan appearances), in the next season he made 40 league appearances and the season just gone he only made 17 league appearances.

I stand corrected - soccerbase's summary page is wrong.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=34895&season_id=141

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yea I noticed this to, I was sure they had made a mistake which is why I counted them lol

The 47(10) only counts the last 2 seasons played under Boothroyd and Thorn and not the games he played under Coleman, the games he played under Coleman for that whole season have all been put under the loan section 22(2) but he only played for us 5 times as a loanee and the rest as a signed player.

Users who are viewing this thread