Richard Stevens to West Brom? (1 Viewer)

GaryJones

I hope he stays with us - he is doing such a fantastic job so he is always going to get interest from elsewhere - goes with the territory I suppose.

Sky Blue Harry H

On a side note - a link on the west Brom news showed the price of an adult ticket to watch them away at Leeds was £39 (may have to save up if we get promoted this season!)

better days

He will probably get at least double his wages here
Wish him well if he goes
Based on on the recent past it will give another decent up and coming coach a chance of working at Cov where we've established a reputation as one of the best places in Europe for young players to develop

CanadianCCFC

On a side note - a link on the west Brom news showed the price of an adult ticket to watch them away at Leeds was £39 (may have to save up if we get promoted this season!)
That’s championship clubs trying (and failing in Leeds’ case) to get into the premier league right there

Pezza

It's a strange one isn't it... the lower down you go the more likely it is for youngsters to get a chance to break through, this obviously then reflects really well on the academy. You go higher and less players break through and nobody talks about the academy so much.... does Wigan's academy get talked about much for example with Rioch there?

You look at Cov and who we have produced over the past few years, Wilson, Maddison, Willis, Burge, Christie, Clarke, Thomas, Bayliss.... all playing as professional footballers and some playing for England!

How many professionals players are there produced by West Brom and the like?

Richard Stevens might get a better contract at Albion and the setup etc will be better but it will be much more difficult to produce players and actually see the impact of what he and his coaches are doing.

He has a great gig at Coventry, I hope he stays and continues the great work and the club can keep moving in the right direction towards championship and who knows, even Prem within a few years.

fernandopartridge

It's a strange one isn't it... the lower down you go the more likely it is for youngsters to get a chance to break through, this obviously then reflects really well on the academy. You go higher and less players break through and nobody talks about the academy so much.... does Wigan's academy get talked about much for example with Rioch there?

You look at Cov and who we have produced over the past few years, Wilson, Maddison, Willis, Burge, Christie, Clarke, Thomas, Bayliss.... all playing as professional footballers and some playing for England!

Richard Stevens might get a better contract at Albion and the setup etc will be better but it will be much more difficult to produce players and actually see the impact of what he and his coaches are doing.

He has a great gig at Coventry, I hope he stays and continues the great work and the club can keep moving in the right direction towards championship and who knows, even Prem within a few years.
I suspect West Brom are ignoring that the reason they don't produce anything from the academy, like many others, is that there is no pathway to senior football. No manager would even countenance playing youth, because they for years had transfer / wage vouchers from Sky.

shepardo01

Interesting one. It is believed amongst some Albion fans that they are winding down their academy with rumours that they might even close it. Been letting go lots of staff recently. Cost cutting maybe
They have closed off the front 2 rows of the Stand opposite the cameras and covered them with advertisements and had to shift a lot of season ticket holders. They also used to have the lyrics to "the lord is my shepherd" - their "sky blue song" accross the back of the main stand... this is now gone...and replaced by advertisements!
Could be that they are looking to go from cat 1 to cat 2 academy status... and see Steven's as somebody with C2 experience to take it forward?

SlowerThanPlatt

Interesting one. It is believed amongst some Albion fans that they are winding down their academy with rumours that they might even close it. Been letting go lots of staff recently. Cost cutting maybe
They have closed off the front 2 rows of the Stand opposite the cameras and covered them with advertisements and had to shift a lot of season ticket holders. They also used to have the lyrics to "the lord is my shepherd" - their "sky blue song" accross the back of the main stand... this is now gone...and replaced by advertisements!
Could be that they are looking to go from cat 1 to cat 2 academy status... and see Steven's as somebody with C2 experience to take it forward?

There was an article on The Athletic recently (subscription) that their Under 23s/academy players and coaches are not allowed to use the main entrance to the training ground anymore or the car park. A lot of their staff have moved on, few to Villa. With WBA a lot of their best young players move before they start their scholarship aswell. Barry who’s gone to Barcelona, Yan Dhanda now at Swansea and Izzy Brown now on loan at Luton

Following on from the first bit of my post, I believe CCFC have separate changing rooms for the Under 23s and first team and a player has to prove himself for a good period of time in the first team before they move to the first team dressing room at Ryton

Last edited:

oakey

Richard lives in Halesowen so it's closer to home if he fancies it.
Hope he stays with us.

Irish Sky Blue

And playing for Ireland.
On a side note, is Thomas back at Leicester? I haven’t heard of a loan for him but may have missed it. What a waste if he is stuck in the U23s.

Adge

Good luck to him if he goes. Dealt with him a few times at the academy. Farndon on the other hand......

SBchimp

Rich would be a great loss if he goes, Jason would also be a big loss if he went.
Both have very different personalities which is their strength for their different roles within the club, both being incredibly successful.
I will be disappointed when either leave the club.

aloisiwouldhavescored

On CCFC website that Jason Farndon appointed to the new role of 1st team technical coach and head of under 23s player development, with Luke Tisdale moving to the role of U23s head coach. Mark Robins said they needed another coach to come in and work closely with the 1st team, while having a cross over with the U23s set up and Jason was the perfect candidate for that role.

Magwitch

With the coaching changes announced by Robins today suggests to me change is afoot and I suspect Stevens is on his way, shame really blokes good at his job will be tough to replace.

SlowerThanPlatt

With the coaching changes announced by Robins today suggests to me change is afoot and I suspect Stevens is on his way, shame really blokes good at his job will be tough to replace.

What are you even talking about? They are not linked in any way at all, the changes have only been announced today but have been like that for a while as Tisdale has been commenting on the new signings for the U23s

SlowerThanPlatt

So what’s all that chat on the CCFC website all about then ?

I don’t get what you mean? How does the old 23s manager moving up to a first team role and the old 23s assistant becoming the new 23s manager in changes what were agreed at the end of last season mean the academy manager is on his way?

He might be on his way but there is no link between that and the changes that were announced today

SlowerThanPlatt

Confirmed

If the club are looking to replace him internally the only logical option is current Head of coaching Mick Halsall who’s held that role at Walsall and Notts County

The Great Eastern

Everybody has their price and no doubt he'll be getting a much higher wage at the Albion. Best of luck to him and it's now up to our club to find a replacement without causing too much change to the successful system that has been in place for a number of years now.

SlowerThanPlatt

Everybody has their price and no doubt he'll be getting a much higher wage at the Albion. Best of luck to him and it's now up to our club to find a replacement without causing too much change to the successful system that has been in place for a number of years now.

There’s no assistant academy manager this time as Stevens was to Rioch before

Colin Steins Smile

Confirmed

If the club are looking to replace him internally the only logical option is current Head of coaching Mick Halsall who’s held that role at Walsall and Notts County

Mick might be a very good appointment, but the skill set for this role is different to his current position. The Head of Coaching role is focussed on developing the coaching staff rather than being the strategic lead and business managing the academy.

Users who are viewing this thread