Returning Injurees and U23s (1 Viewer)

edgy

Thinking as I lay in bed last night.

Anyone noticed how we don't use the U23s to give returning first team players minutes before they return to the first team?

Rose
Dabo
Kelly
Walker
Godden (maybe?)

I would've thought it would be beneficial for them to be playing a few minutes in that environment before entering the first team fray.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah have been saying it for a while, we don't really use the U23s at all to give returning players minutes.

We just lob them onto the bench and then throw them in and wonder why they are rusty and potentially get injured again.

Even DaCosta after his long term injury didn't get any minutes I don't think.

edgy

Yeah forgot DaCosta.

It is a bit weird. We use it to keep fringe players playing (Hilsner, Jobello, Eccles etc) but not to help injured players regain fitness and match sharpness. I don't get it.

Bugsy

if we had a big enough squad and time i reckon we would, but them first teamers you listed is what we need right away, especially this season of all seasons....PUSB

edgy

if we had a big enough squad and time i reckon we would, but them first teamers you listed is what we need right away, especially this season of all seasons....PUSB

But most if not all were brought back into the fray on the bench and maybe get minutes at the end. That can be done in the U23s as well. Rose has been sat on the bench and not played at all.

Bugsy

But most if not all were brought back into the fray on the bench and maybe get minutes at the end. That can be done in the U23s as well. Rose has been sat on the bench and not played at all.

good point about Rose actually, if he isn't getting minutes in the 1st team then we should use him in the u23's, just think with the likes of walker, da costa etc we needed them straight away, with different horses for courses scenario

edgy

Notice Robins said about Godden being involved in today's game but then wasn't. That says to me that he isn't ready for matches yet. Either that or another strange example of us not using this as a ramp up in rehab.

shepardo01

The manager might feel it is better to have them involved in the 1st team training sessions.
It has been widely stated by Robins that due to the schedule, training sessions have been less in number and therefore more valuable.
They would need to be involved in patterns of play, set pieces etc.
So today for example, Robins has obviously thought that it was more beneficial to have Godden in working with the first team and recover at the training ground then at home, rather than travel 2 hrs to Sheffield, to play against a bunch of kids, then travel 2 hrs home.

edgy

Might be wrong but it appears to me that Godden not playing in U23s was his choice.

MR " And I still think he’s got a bit to do but he’s ready to play some minutes. And from a psychological point of view, for him, to get him some minutes in the Under-23s on Monday might be the right thing to do. I’m going to have a chat with him and see if it’s something we should do."

I'm definately an advocate of returning players playing in U23 games. It's not just "playing with kids" vs training/set peices/patterns etc. For players nothing can substitute actually playing football. And for a striker, goals are goals, regardless of who your playing against.

edgy

Godden and Walker need to be starting in the next u23 fixture. There is literally no excuse not too.

edgy

Why? Hardly touched the ball today and hardly broke sweat.
We need them starting. They need minutes and confidence.
We can't keep using the same old 'they're not match fit' excuse when there's actual games passing by that could provide them with that.

Frostie

Personally, as a manager I'd welcome this break to have the whole first team squad training together & working on things but I can see your point.

edgy

I think the extended period of training will be beneficial.
I just don't understand the use of the U23s or the lack of it.

Frostie

I'm sure there was a Telegraph interview with Robins or Farndon near the start of the season saying something about it & that they didn't feel it was the best option with such a condensed season as they were barely getting time to train between first team games as it is & they would be needed in the first team.
Buggered if I can find it now though so might have imagined it 🤣

I think @shepardo01 made a good point on another thread about Covid bubbles too, that could also be a factor.

SBT

People on here talking about the U23 games like they’re some kind of magical fountain of life and match fitness - do other teams in our division use them to give their best players minutes on the way back from injury? Because if they do, I must have missed them on the team sheets.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree about giving the likes of Walker and Godden a game in the U23 to get a bit fitter. Possibly the same with Rose, Pask etc.

Frostie

People on here talking about the U23 games like they’re some kind of magical fountain of life and match fitness - do other teams in our division use them to give their best players minutes on the way back from injury? Because if they do, I must have missed them on the team sheets.

Not really this season. Bristol City have recently with Walsh etc but he's been injured for a year so a bit different

edgy

Yeah quite a few do.
No one's claiming it's a magical fountain of life. Typical over reaction to an opinion.

But there is no arguement that it won't help their match fitness.

SBT

Yeah quite a few do.
No one's claiming it's a magical fountain of life. Typical over reaction to an opinion.

But there is no arguement that it won't help their match fitness.

Any examples? I’m genuinely puzzled why this apparently obvious solution to getting players fit is being ignored by our entire management team.

Frank Sidebottom

Is it not to do with Covid protocols? For example if Godden played with the u23s he would then not be allowed to train/be on the bench for the 1st team for X amount of days or until a negative test has come back?

better days

Almost all senior pros hate playing in U23 games
This is true at all clubs
There isn't anywhere near the intensity of first team games to get match fitness
And the chance of picking up or aggravating an injury
If an established pro prefers not to play most managers would respect their wishes
Not so fringe players though
If they try the same thing they will find themselves in the bomb squad

edgy

A quick look through some line ups over recent months shows Norwich (Steipermann), Reading (Moore, Puscas) Stoke (Gunn, Lyndsey, Tymon) all used in U23s. Sure there's plenty more but can't be arsed searching any further.

And it's not being ignored. Robins literally said he was thinking about giving Godden a game last week and then suggested Godden didn't want to.

Don't need to start being smart with your replies. It's a genuine question, I'm not implying that the entire management team haven't considered it not am I suggesting it immediately gets players 100% match fit and primed to score goals.

edgy

Almost all senior pros hate playing in U23 games
This is true at all clubs
There isn't anywhere near the intensity of first team games to get match fitness
And the chance of picking up or aggravating an injury
If an established pro prefers not to play most managers would respect their wishes
Not so fringe players though
If they try the same thing they will find themselves in the bomb squad

Cheers BD. I was waiting for your input.

Hobo

Might be a Covid thing with different training bubbles.

Users who are viewing this thread