Replacing a lock (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

How hard is this?

Moving out my rental house this weekend and yesterday went to unlock the door and did something so the key turned too far. Now you can only remove the key in the locked position.

Is this something I can do myself? Should I call a locksmith or just leave it for the landlord to take out my deposit? They’ll definitely notice the first time they open the front door.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I did it myself about two months ago. It's actually really easy.

You need a screwdriver and a hammer.

The cylinder (I presume it is a eurolock) basically needs pulling out and an identical one put in to replace it. You can get them from B&Q/Homebase.

SAJ

How hard is this?

Moving out my rental house this weekend and yesterday went to unlock the door and did something so the key turned too far. Now you can only remove the key in the locked position.

Is this something I can do myself? Should I call a locksmith or just leave it for the landlord to take out my deposit? They’ll definitely notice the first time they open the front door.
How approachable is your landlord? To me I would class this as fair ware and tear. Unless there is evidence you have forced it. I rent out a few properties and would pay for that if my tenant contacted me and there is no evidence it’s been forced.

Nick

Administrator
You literally just take off the door handle, slot the new lock in and do it back up again.

Nick

Administrator
It depends if you want the hassle of your landlord if they are OK.

It's simple to do yourself but no idea if it's something they HAVE to do for insurance etc.

eastwoodsdustman

on the picture above there is a screw in the side of the frame near to the blokes left hand. Unscrew that (its long) and the barrell will slide out. Put in a new barrell and replace the screw and its done.
Just make sure the barrell is the same size as some are offsett and slightly longer one way or the other.

Marty

on the picture above there is a screw in the side of the frame near to the blokes left hand. Unscrew that (its long) and the barrell will slide out. Put in a new barrell and replace the screw and its done.
Just make sure the barrell is the same size as some are offsett and slightly longer one way or the other.

Follow this, not sure if it's standard practice but the one I took out and it's replacement both need about a 8th of a turn to line up a little clip before removal, should take no more then 5 minutes.

RegTheDonk

Simple enough but make sure you take the measurements as in the video. You want the barrel flush and not sticking out at the front if it's not anti-snap, makes it easier to break off and gain entry.

Flying Fokker

You literally just take off the door handle, slot the new lock in and do it back up again.
Nah, you don’t have to. There is a screw on the edge of the frame in line with the key. Just unscrew and you are able to push the euro lock out without taking handle off. Just make sure you get the same length replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread