Regrets - RS (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Sat here this evening, full of regrets about this season. I think everyone is in agreement that we completely fucked up the summer recruitment and SISU need to get out immediately. However, there's one fatal error that is really getting to me...why on earth did we hire Russel Slade??

For me it's looking more and more like a panic decision from Tim, to recruit the sap in the cap. There's nothing at all in his CV that suggested he could of turned things around. Before us, he was sacked twice in the space of 6 months, which is appalling. Thankfully for Charlton and Cardiff, they sacked him before he could do real damage.

From the word go, he was a fucking disaster - first game, 4-1 defeat. Clueless tactics, shambolic management, ridiculous cap, garbage football. The Yakubu signing sums it up for me - he had the fat 46 year old on trial for 2 weeks and decided he's the man for me, despite being massively unfit and needing about 6 months of training, time we just didn't have - considering we were in January.

His recent comments have infuriated me: 'With Coventry, I didn't do my homework'. What a ridiculous statement Surely a slap head 56 year old man, would have the common sense to thoroughly assess a potential new job? He had a duty of care to the football club (and less importantly - himself) to make sure he felt like he was up to the job - and clearly he wasn't.

When Slade came in we were two points from safety, when he was sacked, we were 14 points from safety. Slade was as much use as Anne Frank's drumkit for us, and made things a hell of a lot worse, from when he arrived, which has ultimately cost us. Total inept gimp. We've had some shit managers in my time but he is definitely the piss of the crop.

We should have been ringing Mark Robins non-stop to take the job...maybe then we wouldn't have been relegated in such embarrassment....

God help you Grimsby.
Sack Slade

Terry Gibson's perm

The first three managers of the season must share the blame but Slade has to take the largest amount if the blame, we have had some bad managers but I think he was the worst, I never wanted him and as soon as I saw his team play I wanted him less.

weecohawena

Heard a rumour today that RS wasn't first choice and was a panic appointment.

First choice couldnt come in at the time. If they had we may have been alright.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Sat here this evening, full of regrets about this season. I think everyone is in agreement that we completely fucked up the summer recruitment and SISU need to get out immediately. However, there's one fatal error that is really getting to me...why on earth did we hire Russel Slade??

For me it's looking more and more like a panic decision from Tim, to recruit the sap in the cap. There's nothing at all in his CV that suggested he could of turned things around. Before us, he was sacked twice in the space of 6 months, which is appalling. Thankfully for Charlton and Cardiff, they sacked him before he could do real damage.

From the word go, he was a fucking disaster - first game, 4-1 defeat. Clueless tactics, shambolic management, ridiculous cap, garbage football. The Yakubu signing sums it up for me - he had the fat 46 year old on trial for 2 weeks and decided he's the man for me, despite being massively unfit and needing about 6 months of training, time we just didn't have - considering we were in January.

His recent comments have infuriated me: 'With Coventry, I didn't do my homework'. What a ridiculous statement Surely a slap head 56 year old man, would have the common sense to thoroughly assess a potential new job? He had a duty of care to the football club (and less importantly - himself) to make sure he felt like he was up to the job - and clearly he wasn't.

When Slade came in we were two points from safety, when he was sacked, we were 14 points from safety. Slade was as much use as Anne Frank's drumkit for us, and made things a hell of a lot worse, from when he arrived, which has ultimately cost us. Total inept gimp. We've had some shit managers in my time but he is definitely the piss of the crop.

We should have been ringing Mark Robins non-stop to take the job...maybe then we wouldn't have been relegated in such embarrassment....

God help you Grimsby.
Sack Slade

You really do hate Slade, but now he's gone and in reflection the damage he did really is terrible.

Mowbray still takes a lot of the blame as does Venus, but Slade almost looked as if he didn't give a shit at all.

He seems like a nice bloke and I wish him all the best, but Grimsby fans already seem to be airing their concerns. Conceding a 90th minute goal last week, and losing today to a team that can't buy a win. I will be watching closely next season!

Irish Sky Blue

If this is the case, then fairenough but I remember Tim on Talksport after the Sheffield Utd game bragging about how many applicants he had received, so assumed he was the recruiter.
As Venus was still in charge of the team, you would think that Fisher would have had the task of finding his replacement. Wasn't it Fisher that spoke to JFH and was turned down?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

You really do hate Slade, but now he's gone and in reflection the damage he did really is terrible.

Mowbray still takes a lot of the blame as does Venus, but Slade almost looked as if he didn't give a shit at all.

He seems like a nice bloke and I wish him all the best, but Grimsby fans already seem to be airing their concerns. Conceding a 90th minute goal last week, and losing today to a team that can't buy a win. I will be watching closely next season!

I agree, think we're finally seeing the output of his diastorous time in charge. He never really felt like a proper manager or indeed having the capability to keep us up.

How Slade keeps getting jobs I do not know. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a dugout, would be better off doing the sweeping up at Grimsby...mind you, he would probably find a way to cause irreversible damage, even with a broom.

Slade, hang your gola cap in shame. I personally don't wish him the best! Gimp!

Ps, were you the lad singing about Slade in the city arms beer garden last weekend?? That chant raised some eyebrows!

Adge

Yes Slade was garbage, but why are the players continually getting a free ride? Played for a few games before and after Wembley and have now returned to type. Absolute garbage apart from 1 or 2 and still people bang on about "keeping hold of our better players".
WE HAVEN'T GOT ANY!

ConnorDevine

I understand why looking back and trying to really understand where it went wrong is a appealing but personally I'm happy to forget this season happened, apart from the Checkatrade it was an absolute shitstorm of errors from start to finish, at least being relegated early means MR can cast his beady eyes on the players on short contracts for the 2018 shitstorm of errors

shy_tall_knight

When slade came in we had 3 main problems, lack of physicality to effectively defend, no goalscorer, didn't create sufficient chances.

Brought in Clarke & Rawson for their defensive height, but got rid of Sordell our only potential goalscorer for a player Beavon who doesn't score and went long ball with a totally inappropriate team with Beavon as a target man. Solved 1 problem exacerbated 2 others bizarre decision making

letsallsingtogether

Hind sight is a fine thing.
Many on here were happy with the appointment, all that shit about he knows this league....
Never liked the way he looked or spoke to be honest.

dongonzalos

God help you Grimsby.
Sack Slade

Long ball merchant taking over a squad developed for the passing game.
It was going to be a struggle

Hobo

God help you Grimsby.
Sack Slade

The big error was the Mark Venus holding period. Slade should never have been on the radar.

torchomatic

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I thought Slade would be good but I was wrong.

As someone else said the players always seem to get away with it. The goalie has been appalling for most of the season. So has the defence. The midfield non-existent and the strikers misfiring.

They turned up for only a handful of games and apart from a small number i won't be sorry to see the back of them this summer

skyblue1991

Sisu have ultimate control. If they choose to employ Fisher and Venus and their employees mess up the buck still stops with them. So yes, Slade is a Sisu appointment.
No employee of SISU recruited Slade, an employer of CCFC did.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

robbiekeane

Sisu have ultimate control. If they choose to employ Fisher and Venus and their employees mess up the buck still stops with them. So yes, Slade is a Sisu appointment.
Ahhhh okay sorry I forgot the rules.

Ah well, at least SISU had us top of the table for a bit last year right, and signed Murphy Armstrong and Kent? At least we can be grateful to SISU for that

torchomatic

It was about retention we let our better players leave.i suspect it was about money.i feel the same will happen this year as well.

Only this year we don't have "better players", just a few less mediocre than the rest.

CCFC54321

Slades appointment was simply due to Mowbray and Venus being good friends with Slade. When Venus decieded he couldn't do the job he went to the old pal Slade.

Venus had his nose pushed out of place when Fisher got rid of the old pal Slade without any consultation as he was probably to close to Slade.

Irish Sky Blue

No employee of SISU recruited Slade, an employer of CCFC did.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ah well, at least SISU had us top of the table for a bit last year right, and signed Murphy Armstrong and Kent? At least we can be grateful to SISU for that

So the fact we are now in the fourth division is simply down to CCFC nothing to do with Sisu? Having no stadium to play in after next season, no academy, training ground up for sale, all down to CCFC, nothing to do with Sisu? You are right that Sisu can take credit for the good start last season as their man appointed Mowbray just as they have to take responsibility for what has gone on since as the people that their man has appointed since have ultimately failed (some would say including Mowbray himself). The conditions that they create for their managers to work in might also have something to do with that failure. The ultimate responsibility for everything that has gone on this year and for the past 9 years good (very little of this) and bad is down to them.

Dhinsa's_Millions

I don't see the logic here. All three were loans , that is the problem with our entire recruitment policy (we clearly don't pay enough to keep the decent permanent players) . It was a chance that paid off for one season (half a season!).Look what happened this season when the gamble completely backfired! This will happen when you rely on such a high % of loan players.

Grendel

Long ball merchant taking over a squad developed for the passing game.
It was going to be a struggle

Shame those bought in for the passing game can't actually pass a ball to their own players either.

Grendel

Slades appointment was simply due to Mowbray and Venus being good friends with Slade. When Venus decieded he couldn't do the job he went to the old pal Slade.

Venus had his nose pushed out of place when Fisher got rid of the old pal Slade without any consultation as he was probably to close to Slade.

There's a point actually.

Mowbray and Slade are good friends in the game

olderskyblue

Shame those bought in for the passing game can't actually pass a ball to their own players either.

You would think that would be the simplest thing for a pro footballer, but they fail at that so often.

Kingokings204

I think slade gets a harsh rap on here. He was crap for us but he was on to a loser from the start really. We've had 4 managers this season and none have done it really apart from maybe robins and even then he had wembley as a nice little incentive.

If people are looking to slade as the problem to this season for why we are bottom of the league in my opinion they are looking in the wrong direction.

covcity4life

God help you Grimsby.
Sack Slade

No doubt about it. we got relegated because of slade. anything else had minimal impact compared to his time in charge

Users who are viewing this thread