Reality check (1 Viewer)

Astute

Been very busy lately. And being away from here is good for your mental health. Had been awake for a few hours and nothing to do so had a good read on what I have missed. Here's a few of the comments made.

Pre season

Going to be very hard.

20th place will do.

Division 3 and Division 4 players having to compete in the Championship.

Season starts

Getting hammered. Need to change the system.

Don't know where our next point will come from.

All Championship clubs have better quality than us.

So we change out system. Start getting points and pull away from the bottom 3. So.......

In fact the thread from last nights game says it all. We are very limited. 23rd lowest budget out of 24 sides. But that doesn't seem to come into it.

How about the 2 striker idea?

Baka..... he is shit.
Max......he is shit.
Walker
Godden.....he is injured.

So who wants to play with 2 strikers but calls 2 of the 3 available shit?

What happened to staying up however we can manage it?

Why do we have the right to beat established Championship sides who all have players that can do damage with half a chance?

What has changed since the season started?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What has changed? That's pretty simple.

People have been paying to watch the games and quite often we have been making the problems for ourselves. It can be quite frustrating watching this season compared to last and I wouldn't particularly attribute that to the level of opposition either.

SlowerThanPlatt

Been very busy lately. And being away from here is good for your mental health. Had been awake for a few hours and nothing to do so had a good read on what I have missed. Here's a few of the comments made.

Pre season

Going to be very hard.

20th place will do.

Season starts

So we change out system. Start getting points and pull away from the bottom 3. So.......

In fact the thread from last nights game says it all. We are very limited. 23rd lowest budget out of 24 sides. But that doesn't seem to come into it.

Baka..... he is shit.
Max......he is shit.
Walker

Why do we have the right to beat established Championship sides who all have players that can do damage with half a chance?

The team have shown on occasions they can perform to a decent standard but let themselves down with poor decisions in the final third and defending our box. This is where some of the frustration comes from as we’re close and capable of better rather than being totally overawed.

Astute

What has changed? That's pretty simple.

People have been paying to watch the games and quite often we have been making the problems for ourselves. It can be quite frustrating watching this season compared to last and I wouldn't particularly attribute that to the level of opposition either.
Most of us have always paid to watch the games. Now it can be done from wherever you are.

And there is the problem. The level of the opposition has now been forgotten about. Our small budget compared to the other sides has been forgotten. If we play the previous game of attacking we get hurt by the better players we didn't play against in the previous seasons.

Astute

The team have shown on occasions they can perform to a decent standard but let themselves down with poor decisions in the final third and defending our box. This is where some of the frustration comes from as we’re close and capable of better rather than being totally overawed.
Have watched the games. My little bit of time out i have allowed myself.

We didn't have the match fitness the other sides had. We have played mainly the teams in the top half. We are against better opposition. We have had injuries.

Yet some think we should be doing better than we are now yet we are where most hoped. A gap between us and the relegation places. We need to survive this season then build on it. We are doing OK.

Evo1883

If results go our way tonight, there will be a general shift in attitude, yea it was shit last night but we didn't lose and we are 4 clear of Wycombe

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Most of us have always paid to watch the games. Now it can be done from wherever you are.

And there is the problem. The level of the opposition has now been forgotten about. Our small budget compared to the other sides has been forgotten. If we play the previous game of attacking we get hurt by the better players we didn't play against in the previous seasons.

Of course, the opposition are better. As Platt said though, we have been making most of the issues ourselves.

Simple passes we would do last season, this season we have been sloppier in converting. We seem to be slowly getting up to speed, but last night was an absolutely shite performance. I'm sure if we had really gone for it we could have won. I think because we were leaking so many goals we have been set up to just be tight.

clint van damme

Of course, the opposition are better. As Platt said though, we have been making most of the issues ourselves.

Simple passes we would do last season, this season we have been sloppier in converting. We seem to be slowly getting up to speed, but last night was an absolutely shite performance. I'm sure if we had really gone for it we could have won. I think because we were leaking so many goals we have been set up to just be tight.

I don't think it's coincidence that we look sloppier against better opposition.
I agree about going for it last night. He should have took the brakes off on 60-65 minutes. It cost us

Sky Blue Harry H

A big part of last night's poor performance stemmed from the full backs not being able/willing to go forward, as they would as wing backs. McCallum - particularly noticeable in the second half received the ball on numerous occasions (including free kicks) turned it back towards Hyam and it ended up going nowhere or to Wilson. Ball retention is one thing, but if it ended up with Wilson it then often became a random punt to a team stronger in the air. If McCallum attacked the line/went forward, then worse case he loses the ball/ we create an attack. Change in just that would have made a big difference imo.

stupot07

We were poor last night simple as that. The difference in performance against Norwich to last night is light and shade. The formation was the main problem last night

P.s. welcome back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Astute

Welcome back @Astute - is the Sunderland forum in another time dimension? 😉
Yeah that was quite funny. Someone mentioning that I had gone on a Sunderland site.....but how could they notice without going on there themselves. I left them alone once they knew Burge was as good as I said 😂

Just shows the calibre of posters on here 😁

Astute

We were poor last night simple as that. The difference in performance against Norwich to last night is light and shade. The formation was the main problem last night

P.s. welcome back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Or Norwich were missing about their whole 1st team through injury and didn't have a fit striker. They didn't even name a full bench.

I prefer to watch us playing attacking football. But we were getting beat playing it. Something had to change. And now we are 4 games unbeaten. We have gone from bottom 3 to 4 points clear of relegation and only 14 points off 1st.

Get Godden fit and play 2 strikers. But until then grind out results. Not pretty to watch but we need the points.

Terry_dactyl

I watch cardiff a fair bit -season ticket holders in the family. They grind out ‘results’. They are truly awful to watch but are generally very difficult to beat.
We’ve changed from our more cavalier style because we had to. We might have been more entertaining but we kept losing!
4 undefeated and slowly pulling away from relegation zone is pretty good in my book.

cc84cov

I think it’s more to do with we’ve seen we can compete with most teams at this level had we set up more positive against brum,Norwich & derby we would have more points on the board....last night how he didn’t change it is beyond me strange decisions at times I’m seeing this season

covcity4life

Pre season

Going to be very hard.

20th place will do.

Season starts

Baka..... he is shit.
Max......he is shit.
Walker

Well fucking said

Some posters will never live this down I fear

Championship will be too hard!!

Every team we play are shit!!!

Loool

cc84cov

Well fucking said

Some posters will never live this down I fear

Championship will be too hard!!

Every team we play are shit!!!

Loool
You said our football was easy on the eye last night ? Even robins don’t agree with you ya Cooooont 😁🤦🏻‍♂️

DannyThomas_1981

I watch cardiff a fair bit -season ticket holders in the family. They grind out ‘results’. They are truly awful to watch but are generally very difficult to beat.
We’ve changed from our more cavalier style because we had to. We might have been more entertaining but we kept losing!
4 undefeated and slowly pulling away from relegation zone is pretty good in my book.

Did we lose at Norwich with our 3 at the back system? No we made the best team in the division look very very average. Norwich very lucky to escape with a draw.

Last night we had the lucky escape against the basement team with our awful set-up.

cc84cov

Did we lose at Norwich with our 3 at the back system? No we made the best team in the division look very very average. Norwich very lucky to escape with a draw.

Last night we had the lucky escape against the basement team with our awful set-up.
Set up more positive against Norwich we would of beat them same as Brum and derby

Evo1883

There's no guarantee we would have beat them is there really, we think we might have but it's hard to say.

Against blues for example we went to win the game by switching to 2 up and wingbacks and Infact blues took over and we looked a bit shaky

Astute

I think it’s more to do with we’ve seen we can compete with most teams at this level had we set up more positive against brum,Norwich & derby we would have more points on the board....last night how he didn’t change it is beyond me strange decisions at times I’m seeing this season
But how do we know we would have more points on the board?

We attack we concede lots of goals. And why did you miss out the game we won that was in-between the draws?

When we played like it last season we still mainly won by a single goal. We are now against much better players. Our best bet is playing on the break. We are missing Godden. O'Hare isn't a striker. Our main striker now is still learning the game.

Terry_dactyl

I get your point and at the time we changed formation (against brum?) actually felt we should’ve stuck to our guns a little. I thought we’d been unlucky against teams and that it would click.

However, can’t argue that results (if not performances) have improved since we changed it up a bit.
I think we now have a couple of options in terms of formation, which can only be a good thing.
PS
Norwich would argue they’ve got a number of their best players missing. We also got absolutely hammered by Bournemouth (arguably the best team in the division).

Users who are viewing this thread